HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2010, 02:25 PM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
216 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMBER BENDER View Post
I wrote a paragraph or two a while back about my Elevator breaking right off, so after fixing it I decided to Reinforce the underbelly of the Elevator with a thin strip of CF rod and Foam Safe CA. I achieved a great result, I thought until last night I realised the tiny amount of weightt I had added to the Elevator caused it to sink down, quite a lot!!! It was only about .23 of a gram.
Even trying to bring it back to correct alignment with the trimming on the DX7 was nowhere near enough so I had to get some pliers out and squeeze the liitle "U" shape bend in the elevator push rod, which then tore the horn out of the Elevator and made the push rod look like it was out of alignment - bending upwards...
The Horns on the Elevator don't need much for them to tear out, watch out!
It was all a bit of a mess but after a bit of patience and concentration my Ember is re-trimmed, the Elevator horn is glued in and its sitting waiting for someone to take it for a buzz - me!!

Any ideas on uploading pics, still having trouble

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
I think the tailfeathers are a weak spot on the Ember. I'm on my second replacement set. I tried making them out of thin foam plate, but they wound up heavier.
On my current set I put strips of tape top and bottom spanwise across the horizontal stabilizer just before the elevator hinge.
I also put tape top and bottom on the elevator in the area where it's shorter chord for elevator clearance, to serve as a kind of "torque box".
This stiffens things up quite a bit, though it still adds a bit of weight.
If I were to do it again, for the strip in front of the hinge, I'd probably use tape strips only a quarter-inch wide instead of the half-inch I have now.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 06, 2010, 03:31 AM
USA, FL, Gainesville
Joined Nov 2009
166 Posts
LED's no wires, VERY tiny.

Hey everybody I just found these.....I have been browsing through the vapor and ember threads and didn't see any mention so I thought I would post the link. I have sent and email asking weight. If I do not get a reply on moday the latest I will call.

http://www.extremeglow.com/Merchant4...tegory_Code=BL
Youssefa is offline Find More Posts by Youssefa
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:42 PM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
I've now had a few chances to fly with the fences and slats, and all I can say is WOW. What a difference they make. I've only been flying a few weeks after 30 years away, and I'm flying 50' x 100' laps around the back yard. I like that it's easy to remove if I'm going to the big field down the street.
Don52 is offline Find More Posts by Don52
Old Feb 09, 2010, 05:44 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
Congrats with the mods. I am thinking of doing something similar to my Ember #1. Feel free to post some photos.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 09, 2010, 07:22 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
246 Posts
Don52

I am envious of your being able to fly outside as it will take me several weeks to dig out of the snow in Ohio. Happy to hear that you also enjoy the Ember mods.

Here is another old thread on other things to do with the Ember wing.
For your enjoyment!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post12332247
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Feb 12, 2010, 11:52 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Ember Bi-Elavator Feather and 3.7 250mha Mod

Hey all,
I cut and sanded back a paper thhin piece of 1mm balsa out about a third of the size of the Normal Ember Elevator and made a similar version only with more of a point to the leading edge, it weighed just under .3 of a gram. I fixed it an inch above the current Elevator on to the tail feather an inch in front of the rudder hinge..

I found it flew the same speed still did tight loops
BUT when you take it up and kill the throttle it descends down three times the rate of the stock standard setup and it loses altitude at a much lower rate when flying in general also, so my landings now I can come in with zero throttle from a lot further away and still maintain height and speed.

With the added weight I thought I would have needed to give the elevator some up trim but I didn't need to so it is now its a permanent mod that is glued on and I love it..
Hey all,

BI-ELEVATOR MOD
I cut a small piece of 1mm balsa out about a third of the size of the Elevator and made a similar version only with more of a point to the leading edge, it weighed just under .3 of a gram. I fixed it an inch above the current Elevator on to the tail feather an inch in front of the rudder hinge..

I found it flew the same speed still did tight loops
BUT when you take it up and kill the throttle it descends down three times the rate of the stock standard setup and it loses altitude at a much lower rate when flying in general also, so my landings now I can come in with zero throttle from a lot further away and still maintain height and speed.

With the added weight I thought I would have needed to give the elevator some up trim but I didn't need to so it is now its a permanent mod that is glued on and I love it..

I also got a home made 3.7v 250mha and placed it under the brick with two tiny strips of Velcro, I got slightly more power and a flight time well over 18 mins as that is what I set my timer in my DX7 to...
It did slightly change the flight characteristics but nothing major to report about, it still went at what looked like its normal speed so I bought two of them from the guy at my indoor club...

I bought a Parkzone Ultra Piper and took that forts maiden flight all I can say it fast and very nice to watch, will report back on that purchase another time

Is anyone here from Perth in Western Australia, just curious..
I cant explain why I got such good results in Aeronautical terms or in RC lingo but the proof was in the flight testing I guess...

BATTERY MOD
I also got a home made 3.7v 250mha and placed it under the brick with two tiny strips of Velcro, I got slightly more power and a flight time well over 18 mins as that is what I set my timer in my DX7 to...
It did slightly change the flight characteristics but nothing major to report about, it still went at what looked like its normal speed so I bought two of them from the guy at my indoor club...

I bought a Parkzone Ultra Piper and took that forts maiden flight all I can say it fast and very nice to watch inerms of scale and fun to fly, will report back on that purchase another time

Is anyone here from Perth in Western Australia, just curious..
I cant explain why I got such good results in Aeronautical terms or in RC lingo but the proof was in the flight testing I guess...

Buy for now, happy flying
Regards,

J
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER
Old Feb 13, 2010, 04:38 PM
Lewisville, TX
Joined Nov 2009
15 Posts
Has anyone else had problems with the battery staying in place? I changed out the velcro yet the battery still keeps dropping out during flight. Ugh. Any advise would be appreciated.
olefolks is offline Find More Posts by olefolks
Old Feb 13, 2010, 05:11 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,534 Posts
No respect, no respect at all !!

OK, so we had a nice snowfall last night. Was actually tempted to fly Ember 2 #1 in it, but had no one around to photo document the attempt. This morning, it was a beautiful sight, 3" of fresh snow. So, I sent out two of the Embers to check out the flying conditions and the landing strip status while I tended to some other RC affairs. I come back out on the control tower deck to find out how things are. Do I get a report on the flying and landing strip conditions (hard pack?, granular?, loose & fluffy?)?

Nooooo......these two turkeys had other ideas in mind. I treat my Embers very well, thank you. Nice warm and individual hangars, fresh batteries, snazzy lights. All I asked for was a flight report.

I tell 'ya folks, no respect, no respect at all!!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 13, 2010, 08:12 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
But it does look like they had the best of times frolicking in the snow, building the snow man, and all...

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Feb 15, 2010, 06:33 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Battery Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefolks View Post
Has anyone else had problems with the battery staying in place? I changed out the velcro yet the battery still keeps dropping out during flight. Ugh. Any advise would be appreciated.
As I fly using the lightmax 3.7v 138mha, they dont come with velcro and the parkzone velcro is far from satisfactory so I just ripped out the old fluffy piece from the Ember and my Piper Cub, bought a foot of thin velcro and cut it to size, now nothing goes anywhere even lager batteries that weigh more thanthe originals stay in place - so for $5 dollars you will have you problem fixed - NEW VELCRO!!!

Don't forget to peel of the old velcro from your original batt and repalce that too!! You can always use something like hinge tape or even your standard office celo tape each flight, or a rubber band...

Happy Flying!!!

J
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER
Last edited by EMBER BENDER; Feb 15, 2010 at 06:38 AM.
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:03 AM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
7,692 Posts
I love my Ember2.
But I want it to perform like my GWS slow stik with an E-flight 370

Well I would just like it to fly fast enough to do a loop from level flight.....
Has anyone tried to hot rod one?

I have a Vapor a Suhhoi a Mustang a MCX and a Blade CX2 so dont just recommend another plane.

I'm thinking about putting a Suhkoi motor / prop on it but am not sure if the ESC for the vapor is rated for it.
Would love to save time and money from someone that has already figured this out...... any help would be appreciated.

Marko
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:16 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
You apparently already have enough fast flying planes, so why in the world would you want a plane that's designed to fly slow fly fast? Why did you buy it in the first place? If you love it, why change it?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Feb 20, 2010, 11:44 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,920 Posts
Try something like this.

You'll keep you same thrust line. This is a Vapor gearbox with a 5530CF prop and the RX ran flawless, and the power increase was outstanding. I would think a twin Ember gearbox would be fine with a 4030 CFprop or a stock prop. But don't quote me on that. I don't think the add. weight is going to affect the plane that much.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:32 PM
Home of "Golf Cart Flying"
Griffin GA
Joined Aug 2008
7,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
You apparently already have enough fast flying planes, so why in the world would you want a plane that's designed to fly slow fly fast? Why did you buy it in the first place? If you love it, why change it?
Bill
Sir,
The best airplanes in the world to me have the widest envelopes.
I can hover my vapor and loop it from level flight
That's all I am asking of the lil Ember.

Todd,
vewy intewesting... any more info?
pecanpatch is online now Find More Posts by pecanpatch
Old Feb 20, 2010, 12:44 PM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,920 Posts
You should see my Vapor some think it's total overkill I think it's totally awsome. The twin gearbox I just modified one a little wrapped them together with thread and CAed them together making sure I had good gear meshing. It was fairly simple. I gave it away or I would post better pics.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv