HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2010, 08:58 AM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
304 Posts
For Don52 and others that havenít been there before, read my discussion in 08 on wing fences ect.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865438
Has a lot of info on my experimentation with the Ember and other PZ planes.
To add the pusher prop is easy to do!
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2010, 11:09 AM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
Thanks, kid, that's exactly what I needed. I really appreciate all your hard work documenting your mods. It makes it easier for those who follow behind.
Don52 is offline Find More Posts by Don52
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:24 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
For Don52 and others that havenít been there before, read my discussion in 08 on wing fences ect.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=865438
Has a lot of info on my experimentation with the Ember and other PZ planes.
To add the pusher prop is easy to do!
Your R&D and experimentation has been phenominal. I plan on trying some stall fences on Ember 1 one of these days. I bought some thin foam sheeting that can be used, per your illustrations. IMHO, the Ember in stock form has all the speed it needs. Modifying it to challange the Vapor in slow flight characteristics is the real appeal here, for those wishing to do just that. Your info has and will be used accordingly. Thanks in advance.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 03, 2010, 10:22 PM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
I stole the foam plate idea from the fence and slat thread and made a set of fences and slats for my Ember 2. I used the middle version shown in twoplanekid's picture of the three fences as a design. It only took a couple of tries in paper before I had a template I was ready to spend plates on. That one and the other three came out pretty nice, and I cut some slats from the remains. I've got them under weight tonite; tomorrow I'll do final fitting; I noticed a couple of the slat slots were a little tight.

No picture yet, I'll post one after I don't crash my Ember into little pieces.

Thanks again to twoplanekid for leading the way.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:21 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Slat stencil???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
I stole the foam plate idea from the fence and slat thread and made a set of fences and slats for my Ember 2. I used the middle version shown in twoplanekid's picture of the three fences as a design. It only took a couple of tries in paper before I had a template I was ready to spend plates on. That one and the other three came out pretty nice, and I cut some slats from the remains. I've got them under weight tonite; tomorrow I'll do final fitting; I noticed a couple of the slat slots were a little tight.

No picture yet, I'll post one after I don't crash my Ember into little pieces.

Thanks again to twoplanekid for leading the way.
Hi All I was wondering if anyone could post a scale diagram or picture of the slats that have been used by "twoplane", "Don52" etc....also what is their main aerodynamic response, more stable in the wind or slow's the plane down, I'd really like to know...
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER
Old Feb 04, 2010, 12:42 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Elevator Reinforcement

I wrote a paragraph or two a while back about my Elevator breaking right off, so after fixing it I decided to Reinforce the underbelly of the Elevator with a thin strip of CF rod and Foam Safe CA. I achieved a great result, I thought until last night I realised the tiny amount of weightt I had added to the Elevator caused it to sink down, quite a lot!!! It was only about .23 of a gram.
Even trying to bring it back to correct alignment with the trimming on the DX7 was nowhere near enough so I had to get some pliers out and squeeze the liitle "U" shape bend in the elevator push rod, which then tore the horn out of the Elevator and made the push rod look like it was out of alignment - bending upwards...
The Horns on the Elevator don't need much for them to tear out, watch out!
It was all a bit of a mess but after a bit of patience and concentration my Ember is re-trimmed, the Elevator horn is glued in and its sitting waiting for someone to take it for a buzz - me!!

Any ideas on uploading pics, still having trouble

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:45 AM
Why so serious?
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Dec 2007
5,972 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMBER BENDER View Post

Any ideas on uploading pics, still having trouble

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
Under the reply box, hit "go advanced". Scroll down and hit Manage Attachments. This opens a upload window. Hit Browse and find the pics on your HD, select and hit Open. After choosing the pics hit Upload. You will see the pics with a comment box next to each. Add whatever comment then hit Save Changes. When done hit Close. You will not see the pics now. When you hit Submit message the pics will be in your post.
2500GENE is offline Find More Posts by 2500GENE
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:17 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Uploading of Pics are go for Upload...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500GENE View Post
Under the reply box, hit "go advanced". Scroll down and hit Manage Attachments. This opens a upload window. Hit Browse and find the pics on your HD, select and hit Open. After choosing the pics hit Upload. You will see the pics with a comment box next to each. Add whatever comment then hit Save Changes. When done hit Close. You will not see the pics now. When you hit Submit message the pics will be in your post.
Finally an answer!!! Now I can post pics tomy hearts delight...

Thankyou 2500 GENE, so when I upload my pics will they always be attched to my replies or threads or just for that particular thread or reply??

Is there asize limt??

Also when I upload myp ics will they the be stored in my profile for further reference or willI have to upload them again if I would like to use the same pic again??

Thanks for yor response

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:38 AM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMBER BENDER View Post
Hi All I was wondering if anyone could post a scale diagram or picture of the slats that have been used by "twoplane", "Don52" etc....also what is their main aerodynamic response, more stable in the wind or slow's the plane down, I'd really like to know...
I based my design on the middle picture from this post in the Wing Fence thread. Below is the thumbnail.

I sketched the curve of the wing on a piece of paper, then drew the rest of the design freehand around the wing. I used the middle wing fence for the design.

After cutting a couple out from paper, I got a reasonable template that I used to cut one foam fence from a foam plate. It fit well enough, so I used it as the template for three more. The slats are simply a couple of rectangles cut from the same foam plates.

Finally, just slide the fences on the wing and connect them by slats, doing final fitting and trim as you go.

It was too windy to fly this morning. Hopefully I'll get to test them soon.

Oh, and if you want to include a photo in a message, instead of as an attachment, you can do that with the icon that looks like mountains and the sun, right next to the quote icon. The photos have to be on the web somewhere, you can't upload doing it that way.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 09:58 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Your thoughts on purchasing a Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub BNF??

Your thoughts on purchasing a Parkzone Ultra-Micro J-3 Cub BNF??

LINK HERE:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...ProdID=PKZ3980

After Flying my Ember 2 for a little while now I am looking for something a little quicker but still 3 Ch as I don't think I'm ready for 4 Ch Indoor yet.
Don't get me wrong I love my Ember I just want to mix it up little

I'm doing ok with an outdoor 4 Ch trainer so I just thought I'd ask if anyone could give me an idea of what to expect given the specs are very similar 4grams difference- I'm thinking not a great deal of change is to be expected a little more speed maybe??

Also if anyone has had both an Ember and J-3 Ultra Micro, could they tell me their opinions/thoughts on the two and the difference in flight characteristics,??

If anyone thinks there is an indoor 4 Ch available for a relatively experienced novice that is 2.4GHz DSM2ô and BNF or PnP - I would like to know too.

For a relatively experienced novice would a Ultra-Micro P-51 BNF be too much for an intermediate flier??
LINK HERE:
http://www.parkzone.com/Products/Def...px?ProdID=PKZ3

Any feed back would be appreciated, my end goal is to be able to fly my Eflite Micro 4Site Indoors, until then it sits on my TV cabinet, waiting...

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
Old Feb 04, 2010, 10:08 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Wing Slats...

Nice looking slats and from a plate, very ingenious and cost effective!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don52 View Post
I based my design on the middle picture from this post in the Wing Fence thread. Below is the thumbnail.

I sketched the curve of the wing on a piece of paper, then drew the rest of the design freehand around the wing. I used the middle wing fence for the design.

After cutting a couple out from paper, I got a reasonable template that I used to cut one foam fence from a foam plate. It fit well enough, so I used it as the template for three more. The slats are simply a couple of rectangles cut from the same foam plates.

Finally, just slide the fences on the wing and connect them by slats, doing final fitting and trim as you go.

It was too windy to fly this morning. Hopefully I'll get to test them soon.

Oh, and if you want to include a photo in a message, instead of as an attachment, you can do that with the icon that looks like mountains and the sun, right next to the quote icon. The photos have to be on the web somewhere, you can't upload doing it that way.
Thanks for your response, are you referring to the middle slat in the picture of three??

Besides a foam plate could I use some ultra thin balsa??

Also what effect do that intend to have on flying?? I washoping better wind flying capability..

Re: Your picture attachment advice GENE2500 said this Quote:

"Originally Posted by 2500GENE
Under the reply box, hit "go advanced". Scroll down and hit Manage Attachments. This opens a upload window. Hit Browse and find the pics on your HD, select and hit Open. After choosing the pics hit Upload. You will see the pics with a comment box next to each. Add whatever comment then hit Save Changes. When done hit Close. You will not see the pics now. When you hit Submit message the pics will be in your post."

Could this also be correct??

Regards,

Jeremy griffin
Old Feb 04, 2010, 01:58 PM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
Yes, the middle slat in the picture.
I guess you could use balsa, I'm new at this myself.
I'm expecting slower stable flight and maybe a bit better wind penetration.
Yes, you can use attachments, which upload the file to this server, or link like I described if the photo is already on the web somewhere else.
Old Feb 04, 2010, 05:46 PM
Joined Sep 2006
22 Posts
Ember Bender,

My Son learned R/C flying mostly with an Ember, took right to the UM P51, and really enjoyed his first few flights with the Micro Cub.

The Cub requires more room and speed than the Ember. Just give yourself enough room and altitude for your first few flights on the Cub.
parabaum is offline Find More Posts by parabaum
Old Feb 04, 2010, 06:17 PM
Ozark,AR
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
Well guys I bought the Ember 2 Wed. evening and of course wind and rain prevailed and is still going on. I took it too work with me this morning hoping maybe for a chance to fly. After work I went over to the warehouse area, stepped off 45' by 30' of open area, said a little prayer and went to flying even with the big "I" beam in the center. I was very impressed on how well this plane flys and handles in such a small area. Doug was right, pretty much just made circles, but it was fun. Cant wait to really see how it performs.
Thanks to all for your help.
And Jeremy, thanks for the heli. idea but a co-worker and I have been flying our Blade MSR's in there for a while now but I'm just an airplane guy.
Jeff
arauser is offline Find More Posts by arauser
Old Feb 05, 2010, 05:24 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Ember 2 purchase

Quote:
Originally Posted by arauser View Post
Well guys I bought the Ember 2 Wed. evening and of course wind and rain prevailed and is still going on. I took it too work with me this morning hoping maybe for a chance to fly. After work I went over to the warehouse area, stepped off 45' by 30' of open area, said a little prayer and went to flying even with the big "I" beam in the center. I was very impressed on how well this plane flys and handles in such a small area. Doug was right, pretty much just made circles, but it was fun. Cant wait to really see how it performs.
Thanks to all for your help.
And Jeremy, thanks for the heli. idea but a co-worker and I have been flying our Blade MSR's in there for a while now but I'm just an airplane guy.
Jeff
Welcome to the fahmily, I'm glad you got an Ember you'll have a ball with it outside, until the windy comes along, not bad when your up there aand the wind gusts, just can be a bit tricky hand laucnhing in the wind, if you can take off into the wind on a hard surface your laughing..

I flew with a 3.7v 250Mha LiPo today and I swear I was up theri for ever!!!
had to place the Lipo almost under the brick with a bit of hinge tape,for some reason it seemed to have more power too!! It was loop after loop after loop!!

The indooor flying will make you a much better pilot outdoors, except you won't have the wind to experience..

Happy flying - I'm not much of a Heli person either!!!

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin