HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2010, 12:57 PM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Thanks Sir, it does look very good that is exactly what I need :-)
Roger
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Last edited by rodair; Feb 02, 2010 at 01:27 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2010, 04:49 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ember Bender
I fixed the elevator and ran a tiny strip of CF across the underbelly of the moving part of the elevator with some foam safe Venom CA and Kicker..
If possible, feel free to post a picture of your repairs. We all can learn a lot about repairs, adjustments, etc., via a good photo or two. Your "fix" sounds most interesting!
Quote:
I can't beleive I bought four 138 flightmax's today, what a bummer. I knew they were dodgy when the were not all flying the same times. Lucky they were only 4 bucks each, can wait to buy some Eflie 150's
Don't sweat it, with the Zippy 138's. They work fine with the Ember. You might want to look for ParkZone's (Etomic) 120 Lipo's. I find they work very well. The E-flite 150's, long as they may be, also work very well, but are definitely pricy, approx. $11 - 15 up this way. I use the two E-flite 150's more for my UM P-51 Mustangs then for the Ember fleet.
Quote:
may I ask why so many - modded differently or just like them a lot like me!!!
A little of each. Ember 1 is the original Ember, introduced sometime back in late 2007 if I recall. I saw one or two flying at SEFF2008 and bought one there. I got to like it alot, tried some fishing bobber lights on it, and did some indoor flying with it. Unfortunately, a larger 3D foamie took a chuck out of the wing and tailfeathers at an indoor event, and thereafter the rudder servo failed. I rebuilt it but knew then I was really getting interested in micro flyers, and Ember 1 is NOT DMS2 compatible. So, I bought Ember 2, BNF, and the Spektrum 6DXi transmitter which I could use for it, in addition to future DMS2 compatible micro flyers.

Here's where the story really gets boring! I tried the same fishing bobber lights on Ember 2, but stupidly lost track of the plane one night while flying it. Looked all over the neighorhood for it, for 3 days, then gave it a memorial service and ordered another Ember 2. Ember 2, #2 arrived from HH about 4 days later, and that very same day one of the neighbors came over to the house with Ember 2 #1 in hand. He found it in his swimming pool! The little bugger was doing the backstroke for over 3 days, and the neighbor had been out of town on vacation. So now, I had two Ember 2's, plus the original Ember which I call Ember 1. They all seem to get along together just fine, 132 flights to date amongst the three. Both Ember 2's have lights, micro light set #2022 from www.tinybritelights.com , Ember 1 will get a set sometime soon. With the exception of Ember 1, almost all of the micro fleet are flown via the 6DXi. Just added the UM J-3 Cub to the fleet!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Feb 02, 2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: add photos
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:46 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Doug, is the UM J-3 Cub a slow flier like the Ember, or is it faster?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Feb 02, 2010, 05:54 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
... or is it faster? Bill
Definitely faster. I think it is a notable step up from the Ember, and for me, closer to the Mustang. ROG's so far are very easy, almost Ember like, and landing is easier than with the UM P-51. You will want to fly it initially at 1-1/2 mistakes high. I found the Playmate is easier, meaning smoother and less responsive, to fly then the J-3. Out of the box, in my case, it wanted to really climb. I ended up making an adjustment to the control linkage in order to fly it more level w/o need for notable transmitter downtrim.

RD

Edit: FWIW, I found it easier to fly the UM P-51 upside down than the J-3! Both have under cambered wings.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:13 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Thanks Doug,

I was hoping it would be about the same as the Ember, or maybe just a little faster, but not too fast. I still like my planes to be slow and lazy.

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:36 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
283 Posts
I still like the look of the Ember with the Vapor prop, MCX body and long legs. The Vapor prop however does not give enough of a performance boost to fool with the long legs. My favorite is still the push-pull twin with leading edge slats and stall fences. The rudder is missing because it was lost in a mid air at E-Fest.
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:46 PM
Ozark,AR
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
Hello all,
I'm considering the Ember 2 for a small indoor area at work.
Its a warehouse area, sometimes maybe 60 by 40 feet so slow is my goal. I've noticed in the Ember pics that there is a lot of down thrust in the motor, would it fly slower with less down thrust?
Thanks,
Jeff
arauser is offline Find More Posts by arauser
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:02 PM
Ozark,AR
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
By the way, what would be considered "too small to fly in for an average pilot"?
Thanks again,
jeff
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:25 PM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
Does anybody have a recommendation to give the Ember a bit more penetration in the wind? I'm getting pretty comfortable with it, and since my second plane will be the P-51, I'd like to speed the Ember up a bit. Can the wings be clipped? Any way to take out a little of that dihedral?

OTOH, I've seen leading edge slats and stall fences. Can you slow the ember down enough to fly it in a tiny space, like a living room?
Don52 is offline Find More Posts by Don52
Old Feb 02, 2010, 08:54 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
283 Posts
My Ember with slats and fences will fly almost as slow as a Vapor. But, I would not want to fly it in a small room. The above with the addition of the pusher prop does help wind penetration and controllability in windy conditions.
twoplanekid is offline Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
95 Posts
Adding the slats and fences helps penetration as well as low-speed flight? I could probably manage to make those, but the pusher prop's beyond my current skill level. Did you post directions for the slats and fences anywhere?
Don52 is offline Find More Posts by Don52
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by arauser View Post
Hello all,
Its a warehouse area, sometimes maybe 60 by 40 feet so slow is my goal.
Might be a little tight, but if you don't mind turning most of the time, go for it! Attached photo shows the area where we fly indoors, and I have no problem with flying my Embers in this area.

Quote:
I've noticed in the Ember pics that there is a lot of down thrust in the motor, would it fly slower with less down thrust?
IMHO, no, it will climb when you increase throttle. You want more controllable level flight, thus the down thrust already build in.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:10 AM
Ozark,AR
Joined Nov 2005
148 Posts
Thanks Doug, I think I may just have to get one and see how she flys.
Jeff
Old Feb 03, 2010, 04:47 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
How do i post pics and are there size limits?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug sipprell View Post
if possible, feel free to post a picture of your repairs. We all can learn a lot about repairs, adjustments, etc., via a good photo or two. Your "fix" sounds most interesting!
I would be happy to upload some pics, can someone tell me how to and is there a size limt - if so what is the limit?? When I click on insert image icon I just get a little square box appear in the middle of the screen, what
am I doing wrong??

Also is it possible just to add pics of my planes to my profile somehow??

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER
Old Feb 03, 2010, 06:30 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Enough area an Ember??

Quote:
Originally Posted by arauser View Post
Hello all,
Its a warehouse area, sometimes maybe 60 by 40 feet so slow is my goal. I've noticed in the Ember pics that there is a lot of down thrust in the motor, would it fly slower with less down thrust?
Thanks,
Jeff
I'm not sure about changing the thrust angle as it is set up to fly with that level for a reason I am not 100% sure of yet.
There are other mod's I would be looking at instead of thrust lines ie, Windrag's and Flaps etc... But by all means investigate further on the thrust line aerodynamics and the slow fly behavioural response..

Regarding Your Flying Area
Your area converts to 18.288 Meters by 12.192 Meters, this is really tight, what is the ceiling height also??

As much as I love my Ember I would recommend a Vapour if you were to buy anything or even a little Heli if that tickles your fancy something like a little Dynam RC Orbiter Heli Mode 1 see here: http://www.rc-estore.com.au/index.ph...&productId=280...

With the dimensions given you would almost be just bouncing off the walls the whole time with a Ember unless you made some serious slow fly modifications, shown on other pages of this forum...

FOR THE EMBER - PARKZONE OFFICIALLY ADVISE an area of 12.192 Meters by 12.192 Meters with a ceiling height of 6.096 Meters

http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual_loRes.pdf

FOR THE VAPOUR - PARKZONE OFFICIALLY ADVISE an area of 4.572 Meters by 4.572 to fly in and ceiling height of 2.4384 Meters - which is feasible for an intermediate flier..

http://www.parkzone.com/ProdInfo/Fil...nual_V2_LR.pdf

So in theory you should be able to fly both but in my experience with both planes the Ember would not be suitable for you given that it really needs a basketball sized area for a beginner to fly in.

The dimensions of your average basketball court is 28 m by 15 m without the extra few meters each side for clearance..

I fly above two courts on a weekly basis and it's a perfect size for me, my first ever indoor flight was over two basketball courts and I flew fine - so I was told.

After a further 8 flights of about 2 hrs in duration, including breaks, I could probably fly around 3/4's of a court (21 Meters by 11.25 Meters), but I wouldn't personally enjoy it except maybe the once off challenge...

So in my opinion the Ember would not be much fun given your flying area, if anything the Vapour would fly in your area it just depends if you really have your heart set on an Ember if not get a Vapour or a Mini Heli or join your local indoor flying club - they are popping up everywhere at the moment....

I hope this helps, remember these are purely my ideas and recommendations and in the end its up to you and what you think you will feel comfortable with.

I hope this is of some assistance...

Regards,

Jeremy Griffin
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER