SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:06 AM
Joined Jan 2010
24 Posts
Fantastic !!

I love the Sharpie paint job, but do you need to seal it with anything to stop the ink coming off on your fingers? I'm new to all this, and it's great to see different Mods and paint jobs, so has anyone else got any pictures they can post.

And as asked previously, did you paint the underside Flyingbulldawg?
Ekwerdoor is offline Find More Posts by Ekwerdoor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:11 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Sorry, so slow to respond.. I used the Staples store brand permanent markers for the "paint" and have had no problems with it coming off. No need to seal it. The under side of the plane is painted red also. Decals only on top.
FlyingBullDawg is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBullDawg
Old Jan 20, 2010, 10:17 AM
Joined Nov 2009
19 Posts
Update. I have flown this Ember in our church gym a least a half dozen times now and I have not noticed any difference in the performance or flight characteristics. I noticed my Ember flies best with the battery pushed all the way forward.
FlyingBullDawg is offline Find More Posts by FlyingBullDawg
Old Jan 29, 2010, 09:19 PM
Joined Jan 2010
6 Posts
Has anyone installed a 4-SITE or P-51 gearbox and motor into the Ember2? I checked on the brick and it has the same 2amp rating as ether the 4-SITE or P-51. I was looking for some nice clean looking mount installs.
zedaffair is offline Find More Posts by zedaffair
Old Jan 31, 2010, 08:45 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Plug-n-Play Navigation Light Set for Ember 2

At the request of another Ember enthusiast, I am posting some photos of how I have installed the Tiny Brite Lights Model #2022 light set on both of my Ember 2's. These lights can be purchased direct from:

www.tinybritelights.com

I think the cost is $19.99, including postage. They have worked very well on my Embers, and I will be installing the same set on my UM J-3 Cub and FlyZone Playmate.

If anyone needs further installation info help or a different picture or two, just hollar.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Jan 31, 2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:00 PM
Urbana, Ohio
Joined Feb 2008
296 Posts
I decided not to do some test flying of this modified Ember at E-Fest because my push pull Ember twin lasted about two minutes before it was taken down by another aircraft. E-Fest is fun just not a place for testing if you want to survive. This Ember has a Sukhoi wing and engine.
twoplanekid is online now Find More Posts by twoplanekid
Old Jan 31, 2010, 09:22 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Wow! At what point does it cease being an Ember??

Hope to try some of the wing dams modification on my Ember 1 this spring.

Keep them ideas a coming!!

RD
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:35 AM
3D All Day Every Day - 112cc!!
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Beware Lots of Ember 2 Questions

HI ALL
MY FIRST POST,SO i THOUGHT I'D MAKE IT A BIG ONE, I POSTED IT SOMEWHERE ELSE IN AN "RCGROUPS" FORUM BUT THIS FORUM SEEMS TO BE FULL OF ENDLESS AMOUNTS OF GREAT MODS AND GREAT SOUNDING GUYS AND GIRLS - PLUS PLENTY OF EMBER INSIGHT, I LOOK FORWARD TO BEING ABLE TO CONTRIBUTE AS MUCH AS I CAN!!

SO IT GOES A LITTLE SOMETHING LIKE THIS....
I RECENTLY BROUGHT AN BnF EMBER 2, and have not had so much fun for a long time flying this graceful flyer above 4 basketball courts!! Anyone get a totally non useable Parkzone LiPo in their Box??

I TOOK IT OUT OF OF THE BOX ON THE WEEKEND TO SHOW IT OFF TO MY RC CLUB FRIENDS AND THE RUDDER SNAPPED RIGHT OFF FROM THE WIND - ONLY <18KNOTS!! VERY EMBARSSING..

SO A FEW QUESTIONS FOR YOU ALL...

What is the best glue to use on the mending the rudder and is kicker ok to apply afterwards?

Has anyone used carbon fibre rods to strengthen the surface parts of the tail plane?

What is the actual material the rudder and elevator are made from, and the material the wing is made from, do hobby store stock it and how many mm thick is the elevator and rudder material?

What is the easiest way to replace a whole new rudder and elevator, I have noticed the tail plane is glued on and I'm not sure what steps to take when replacing a whole new tail plane..

I HAVE MANAGED TO BIND IT TO MY DX7 ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS FOR BETTER FLIGHT REGARDING EXPO, TRAVEL, MIXING ETC??

ANY IDEAS ON OTHER PROP SIZES AND THEIR PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS??

HOW HOT CAN I ALLOW MY MOTOR TO GET IN CELSIUS WITHOUT RUINING MY MOTOR OR MELTING THE HOUSING, I HAVE A POINT AND SHOOT TEMP METER??

Is it possible to fly full throttle for as long as the battery will last using stock standard everything except using more Amps in the 3.7v LiPo, without damaging anything??

I AM RUNNING 3.7V 138mhA LiPo's has anyone gone up to around the 250mHA without the weight being an issue, what was your rough flight time outcome??

Besides increase in weight issues are there any limits to increasing Amp sizes in a 3.7v LiPo set up??

What are the longest flying times anyone has had and what was there set up??

I love the fact the Ember is a slow Flyer but what are the best tips to increase speed, I am referring more towards, props, motors etc.. Not weight reduction or aerodynamics...

I know there are a lot of questions in this Thread so if someone can just answer even one of them I would appreciate it.

The most important question right now is fixing the rudder back on to the plane and with what glue (Brand Name too if possible) and the best method.

ANY OTHER TIPS WOULD BE APPRECIATED I LOVE THIS PLANE - I'M SURE I'LL BE LISTING MY TIPS AND MODS SOON!!

THERE IS A GREAT 2 PART TWIN VAPOUR ENGINE POWERED EMBER ON YOUTBE - CHECK IT OUT!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBo_x5OUiVA

Happy Flying All...

Regards,

Jeremy from Western Australia

PLANES SO FAR:
4CH ISLAND HOPPER STOCK
EFLITE MICRO 4SITE STOCK
EMBER 2 STOCK
PICO STICK MINI STOCK
&
DX7 TRANSMITTER
EMBER BENDER is offline Find More Posts by EMBER BENDER
Old Feb 01, 2010, 11:50 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
i decided not to do some test flying of this modified ember at e-fest because my push pull ember twin lasted about two minutes before it was taken down by another aircraft. E-fest is fun just not a place for testing if you want to survive. This ember has a sukhoi wing and engine.
wow nice mod's and a great looking plane - look forwarding to seeing it in flight if you ever get time to film and then post it. 10 out of 10 from me!!!!

One question what do the two little vertical slots do that you have mounted on yor wings, and what is the correct term for them, would the have any use on an ember wing given that it's dyhedral. I'm only a novice so excuse my ignorance!!

Regards,

jeremy
Old Feb 01, 2010, 02:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMBER BENDER
I TOOK IT OUT OF OF THE BOX ON THE WEEKEND TO SHOW IT OFF TO MY RC CLUB FRIENDS AND THE RUDDER SNAPPED RIGHT OFF FROM THE WIND - ONLY <18KNOTS!! VERY EMBARSSING..
I do hope you were kidding here. The Ember flys best in 0 (spelled zero ) winds, but can be flown in 5-7 mph winds if you don't mind hovering in one spot, or letting the wind have a large say in where the plane is going.

Quote:
What is the best glue to use on the mending the rudder and is kicker ok to apply afterwards?
Foam safe CA is OK, but if the rudder has not broken clear of the tail plane, you can use thin strips of regular Scotch cellophane tape. Others have used Gorilla Glue, pre-wetting the parts before lighlty brushing or applying the adhesive. A complete spare tail plane (rudder, fin, horiz. stab) is available from Horizon Hobbies. You would need to carefully cut away all the broken parts, including the black adhesive used with the OEM parts.
Quote:
Has anyone used carbon fibre rods to strengthen the surface parts of the tail plane?
I haven't as yet, not needed it. If you do use CF rod or strips, be sure to use the lightest material possible. Weight is a definite No-No for micro planes such as the Ember.
Quote:
What is the actual material the rudder and elevator are made from, and the material the wing is made from, do hobby store stock it and how many mm thick is the elevator and rudder material?
Not sure the exact type of foam being used, it has a thin skin on it. The spare rudder, fin, horizontal stab are around 0.078", with the fin being about 0.090 at it's thickest. Note that most, if not all of the tail plane surfaces, are shaped slightly to form a symetrical air foil, one of the reasons the Ember flys so well, IMHO. So, if you tried to make these parts out of a sheet of foam, you might want to shape them somewhat similar to what the original parts indicate.
Quote:
What is the easiest way to replace a whole new rudder and elevator, I have noticed the tail plane is glued on and I'm not sure what steps to take when replacing a whole new tail plane..
Order spares from Horizon Hobby or your LHS, use medium to thick foam safe CA, or Gorilla Glue.
Quote:
I HAVE MANAGED TO BIND IT TO MY DX7 ANYONE HAVE ANY HINTS FOR BETTER FLIGHT REGARDING EXPO, TRAVEL, MIXING ETC??
No need for dual rates or exponential. The plane flys fine on stock throws, you can get more deflection by moving the control rods to a hole in the control horns closer to the respective surface, i.e. rudder, elevator. I use the closest hole to the control horn for rudder, and three holes down from the top of the control horn for elevator. I can get tighter inside loops with this arrangment and a passing snap roll!
Quote:
ANY IDEAS ON OTHER PROP SIZES AND THEIR PERFORMANCE CHARACTERISTICS??
Don't mess with the stock configuration. It serves the Ember quite well. Some have had good luck with the prop from the Su-26 UM Sukhoi, but I believe this was in conjunction with some type of brushless motor. I have three Embers, and the stock prop arrangement has served all of them well.
Quote:
HOW HOT CAN I ALLOW MY MOTOR TO GET IN CELSIUS WITHOUT RUINING MY MOTOR OR MELTING THE HOUSING, I HAVE A POINT AND SHOOT TEMP METER??
Motor temperature is really not an issue, from what I have experienced, when using proper range Lipos, such as the 70, 110, 120, 130, 138, 150 mAh 1S Lipos. Haven't tried the 240 mAh 1S yet, it might be a tad heavy. I have yet to experience a notably warm motor after a flight, and most of my Ember flights are in the 15-20 minute range, the longest being 22 minutes, outdoors.
Quote:
Is it possible to fly full throttle for as long as the battery will last using stock standard everything except using more Amps in the 3.7v LiPo, without damaging anything??
You shouldn't have a problem with WOT applications, but you will get longer flights if you back off the throttle a little bit. I start (via hand launch) each flight at full throttle, then back off once I get up to altitude. I fly my Embers in-doors on occassion and that calls for reduced throttle settings. However, 90% of my Ember flying is outdoors, at higher altitudes and distances than what might normally be flown. Two of my Embers have navigational lights, very helpful when flying at dusk, some 250 feet up and a house or two away!
Quote:
I AM RUNNING 3.7V 138mhA LiPo's has anyone gone up to around the 250mHA without the weight being an issue, what was your rough flight time outcome??
As noted, the Ember motor will accommodate a wide range of 1S battery capacities, easily up to the E-flite 150 mAh cells. Haven't tried the 240 mAh cell yet. With throttle management and warmer weather, you should get a solid 20-23 minutes on the 150's, close to that with the ParkZone 120's which are very good. The 138's are probably the Flightmax Zippies from China. Grossly over-rated capacity-wise, more like 110 mAh, but they work well with the Ember/Vapor, and for $2, that's a deal. The 138 Zippies are absolute for the UM P-51 Mustang, and probably would be less than stellar with the recent UM J-3 Cub. I have had great flights with the orignal 70 mAh 1S Lipos, with 12-15 minute flights rather common. Note that Hobby King is now supplying the Zippy 138 mAh V2 lipos, but I have not had any experience with them yet.
Quote:
Besides increase in weight issues are there any limits to increasing Amp sizes in a 3.7v LiPo set up??
The 70, 110, 120, 130, & 138 Lipos are all the same length, but get thicker as you go up in mAh's. The E-flite 150 is LONGER than these others, but can be fitted to the Ember. The issue is, as you have noted, weight. The 240 cell is almost square and not designed to fit the battery clip on the Ember.
Quote:
What are the longest flying times anyone has had and what was there set up??
For me, 22-23 minutes has been the longest flights, and that has been with throttle management and flying at higher altitudes. I get well up over the tree line to catch the smooth air flows. Neat to see the Ember turn down wind, after a somewhat laborius flight upwind, then go like stink down wind, with the throttle almost off.
Quote:
I love the fact the Ember is a slow Flyer but what are the best tips to increase speed, I am referring more towards, props, motors etc.. Not weight reduction or aerodynamics...
The more common challange has been to make the Ember fly SLOWER, via air dams, flaps, speed brakes, etc. Some excellent work done in this area, go back and review the thread for photos and videos. Increasing the speed of the Ember, IMHO, would be counter productive. The design features that provide it's excellent flying capabilities would become detriments, once extra speed was (if possible) obtained, such as flutter in the tail surfaces, notably rudder. Enjoy Ember for what it is, a great slow flying micro plane which definitely flies more like a plane than does the Vapor, and that's no criticism of the Vapor.
Quote:
I know there are a lot of questions in this Thread so if someone can just answer even one of them I would appreciate it.
That's what we are here for.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Feb 01, 2010 at 03:12 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:40 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Response to many answers for my ember..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug sipprell View Post
i do hope you were kidding here. The ember flys best in 0 (spelled zero ) winds, but can be flown in 5-7 mph winds if you don't mind hovering in one spot, or letting the wind have a large say in where the plane is going.

Foam safe ca is ok, but if the rudder has not broken clear of the tail plane, you can use thin strips of regular scotch cellophane tape. Others have used gorilla glue, pre-wetting the parts before lighlty brushing or applying the adhesive. A complete spare tail plane (rudder, fin, horiz. Stab) is available from horizon hobbies. You would need to carefully cut away all the broken parts, including the black adhesive used with the oem parts.

I haven't as yet, not needed it. If you do use cf rod or strips, be sure to use the lightest material possible. Weight is a definite no-no for micro planes such as the ember.

Not sure the exact type of foam being used, it has a thin skin on it. The spare rudder, fin, horizontal stab are around 0.078", with the fin being about 0.090 at it's thickest. Note that most, if not all of the tail plane surfaces, are shaped slightly to form a symetrical air foil, one of the reasons the ember flys so well, imho. So, if you tried to make these parts out of a sheet of foam, you might want to shape them somewhat similar to what the original parts indicate.

Order spares from horizon hobby or your lhs, use medium to thick foam safe ca, or gorilla glue.

No need for dual rates or exponential. The plane flys fine on stock throws, you can get more deflection by moving the control rods to a hole in the control horns closer to the respective surface, i.e. Rudder, elevator. I use the closest hole to the control horn for rudder, and three holes down from the top of the control horn for elevator. I can get tighter inside loops with this arrangment and a passing snap roll!

Don't mess with the stock configuration. It serves the ember quite well. Some have had good luck with the prop from the su-26 um sukhoi, but i believe this was in conjunction with some type of brushless motor. I have three embers, and the stock prop arrangement has served all of them well.

Motor temperature is really not an issue, from what i have experienced, when using proper range lipos, such as the 70, 110, 120, 130, 138, 150 mah 1s lipos. Haven't tried the 240 mah 1s yet, it might be a tad heavy. I have yet to experience a notably warm motor after a flight, and most of my ember flights are in the 15-20 minute range, the longest being 22 minutes, outdoors.

You shouldn't have a problem with wot applications, but you will get longer flights if you back off the throttle a little bit. I start (via hand launch) each flight at full throttle, then back off once i get up to altitude. I fly my embers in-doors on occassion and that calls for reduced throttle settings. However, 90% of my ember flying is outdoors, at higher altitudes and distances than what might normally be flown. Two of my embers have navigational lights, very helpful when flying at dusk, some 250 feet up and a house or two away!

As noted, the ember motor will accommodate a wide range of 1s battery capacities, easily up to the e-flite 150 mah cells. Haven't tried the 240 mah cell yet. With throttle management and warmer weather, you should get a solid 20-23 minutes on the 150's, close to that with the parkzone 120's which are very good. The 138's are probably the flightmax zippies from china. Grossly over-rated capacity-wise, more like 110 mah, but they work well with the ember/vapor, and for $2, that's a deal. The 138 zippies are absolute For the um p-51 mustang, and probably would be less than stellar with the recent um j-3 cub. I have had great flights with the orignal 70 mah 1s lipos, with 12-15 minute flights rather common. Note that hobby king is now supplying the zippy 138 mah v2 lipos, but i have not had any experience with them yet.

The 70, 110, 120, 130, & 138 lipos are all the same length, but get thicker as you go up in mah's. The e-flite 150 is longer than these others, but can be fitted to the ember. The issue is, as you have noted, weight. The 240 cell is almost square and not designed to fit the battery clip on the ember.

For me, 22-23 minutes has been the longest flights, and that has been with throttle management and flying at higher altitudes. I get well up over the tree line to catch the smooth air flows. Neat to see the ember turn down wind, after a somewhat laborius flight upwind, then go like stink down wind, with the throttle almost off.

The more common challange has been to make the ember fly slower, via air dams, flaps, speed brakes, etc. Some excellent work done in this area, go back and review the thread for photos and videos. Increasing the speed of the ember, imho, would be counter productive. The design features that provide it's excellent flying capabilities would become detriments, once extra speed was (if possible) obtained, such as flutter in the tail surfaces, notably rudder. Enjoy ember for what it is, a great slow flying micro plane which definitely flies more like a plane than does the vapor, and that's no criticism of the vapor.

That's what we are here for.

Rd
MY RESPONSE:

Can I say thanks for all your advice I fixed the elevator and ran a tiny strip of CF across the underbelly of the moving part of the elevator with some foam safe Venom CA and Kicker..

I got to put into action your reccomendations for 3hrs today and your spot with everything - I even copied your hangar design, with a few adjustments for my lipo charger...

I can't beleive I bought four 138 flightmax's today, what a bummer. I knew they were dodgy when the were not all flying the same times. Lucky they were only 4 bucks each, can wait to buy some Eflie 150's and a day without wind, I'm strictly indoor, due to the wind, one of the only downsides living in Perth...

I guy I was flying with is going to find out the name of the material the rudder, elevator and wing are made of too..

I tried a larger prop, didn't seem to make and differencee except it scrapped the ground on take off and landing. After the repairs and CF added my plane now weighs 21.2 grams with battery and wheels so i'm happy with that...

Your right besides a little elevator trim there was no need for any other programing of the dx7..

Once again thank you, say hi to your happy little ember family - may I ask why so many - modded differently or just like them a lot like me!!!

Happy Flying mate

Jeremy
Old Feb 02, 2010, 06:57 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
For anyone:
What are two little vertical slots that are mounted on "twoplanekid's" Modified Ember with the Sukhoi wing mounted on his wings, and what is the correct term for them, would the have any use on an ember wing given that it's dyhedral. What is the aerodynamic purpose of them?? Also what would they be made from and how thick??

Regards,

Jeremy
Old Feb 02, 2010, 07:08 AM
Australia, WA, Wembley
Joined Feb 2010
122 Posts
Prop Saver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
Has anyone made a prop saver for the Ember 2?

Bill

No but I will be this weekend, parts are not the issue its the weight of the project that is the biggest hurdle...

I'll let you know the results....

FYI
I have snapped the same prop 6 times now, not totally off but almost and on both sides.
I have just glued it back on with some thin CA added some Kicker to the mix and I have been able to fly with it again in less than 2 mins...
I'm thinking the prop saver might be just an excuse to play around rather than neccesity..

Regards,

Jeremy
Old Feb 02, 2010, 09:57 AM
What goes up must come down..
Canada, QC, Saint-Laurent
Joined Jan 2002
1,718 Posts
Plz tell me that my Ember isn't total here :-(
my problem: trying to re-adjust the rudder pushrod since it was kind of "binding" and the rudder sometimes get stock on preflight to one side
I broke the lug coming out of the servo i.e the plastic part with 3 holes anyway I have only one hole left, the servo is operation OK.
After good observation the z bent isn't exactly 90 degree bend (stange!) thus the binding of this one, would one explain to me how do one can change that pacticular z bend having the push rod out of the plane?
I doubt it very much that such part being available unless I replace the hole RX and mine is working OK
Any suggestion here is welcome.
Roger
rodair is offline Find More Posts by rodair
Old Feb 02, 2010, 10:32 AM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,710 Posts
Can't address your current problem, but if all else fails replacement servos are available from these suppliers:

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH1066
http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?app=goods&spec_id=248

Bill
Sir Raleigh is online now Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh