HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2009, 07:47 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Ok i posted this topic about alternate props on the Vapor thread but i'll post it here so some of you might have seen this.

i broke my prop 2x and now LHS does not have them in stock so i used whatever i have a GWS4040 w/c i trimmed the width but kept the lenght its heavier compared to the stock but it flies well

anybody else using an alternate prop that works?
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Last edited by Kamov; Jul 28, 2009 at 10:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:51 AM
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Hot Ember

I haven't seen anyone put a brushless motor on this plane in this thread.
Here's a Mighty Midget 13/4/15 with a 1S ESC that helps this plane go way faster. I had to shorten the motor mount to balance the CG, but it handles well. It kept wanting to climb every time I throttled up, so a mix a little down elevator in from the throttle and now it just goes faster when I increase throttle..
MikeW9 is offline Find More Posts by MikeW9
Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:35 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeW9
I haven't seen anyone put a brushless motor on this plane in this thread.
Here's a Mighty Midget 13/4/15 with a 1S ESC that helps this plane go way faster. I had to shorten the motor mount to balance the CG, but it handles well. It kept wanting to climb every time I throttled up, so a mix a little down elevator in from the throttle and now it just goes faster when I increase throttle..
looks like you've got a hot rod there with appropriate flames decal

BL motor brand/source? Hobbycity ?
are you using 110mah lipos? 10c or 15c ? flight times?

i like your nose spinner[bumper] idea

what GWS prop?

got a video ?
Old Jul 29, 2009, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov
looks like you've got a hot rod there with appropriate flames decal

BL motor brand/source? Hobbycity ?
are you using 110mah lipos? 10c or 15c ? flight times?

i like your nose spinner[bumper] idea

what GWS prop?

got a video ?
I tried one of the 2gm HobbyCity BL and it drew over 2A, got very hot, and I only got about 15gm of thrust. This is a Mighty Midget 13/4/15 ($$$) with the single LiPo ESC from same ($). Can't program it and when the batt drops, the brick dies and the Ember wanders off on it's own for about thirty sec then the ESC dies.. So I don't let it go more than about 10min and then bring it down. I use either the Tenergy 130 or the Lightning Power 130 that is 15C and the batt droops less. The prop is a 4025 for ground landing clearance, but it will swing a 5043 no prob. Thrust is ~30gm.
The spinner is a must indoors (for me :-) and is carved from EPP and glued on.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 10:27 AM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
MikeW9

thanks for the info

im impressed being direct drive it would swing a heavy 5043 prop. the $$$ Carbon Fiber props would probably even make it work better

are the Lightning Power 130mah really rated 15C? do you recommend this battery over the Tenergy
Old Aug 05, 2009, 07:00 PM
Wyoming USA
Joined Aug 2009
55 Posts
I took the nose cone off to make mine lighter. And to rebalance it I moved the battery all the way forward.
rcairplanenut2 is offline Find More Posts by rcairplanenut2
Last edited by rcairplanenut2; Aug 05, 2009 at 07:02 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old Sep 14, 2009, 10:18 PM
Gloucester, VA
Joined Jun 2009
270 Posts
Please help! Ember 2 from parts

Building an Ember 2 from parts.

Need a little help, please.

What [if any] adhesives would you recommend for attaching the control horns to the stabs and the stabs to the fuse? CA? Epoxy? Or do these little guys just snap on and stay put?

The wing attaches to the to the wing mount with tape strips, right? What kind would you use, blenderm, or office scotch tape, or blue painter's tape?

Thanks in advance!

Greg
gbass01 is offline Find More Posts by gbass01
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Stick bling
Old Sep 15, 2009, 10:26 AM
United States, OR, Independence
Joined Feb 2008
1,288 Posts
I use foam safe CA and a Scotch brand tape called MultiTask Tape. It is 3/4" wide, clear, and comes in a Scotch Tape style dispenser. It sticks like crazy and is tough as packing tape.

jim
Bing44 is offline Find More Posts by Bing44
Old Sep 15, 2009, 05:39 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Finally got to install a new lighting set on my Ember 2. I figure this time, with better lights, I hopefully won't lose the plane again as happened a week or two ago. I purchased the Micro Lighting set from TinyBriteLights, the set that is designed for both the Vapor and the Ember. Really amazing how well these lights perform. Very small mini-diode type lights, a green, red, and strobing white. Flew the Ember 2 early evening, and it looked OK. But, as darkness increased (7:45 PM EST), the lights really showed their stuff. Actually flew until it was almost total darkness. Wish I had a video of it, might get that made in the near future, a video camera and extra person willing.

The next concern was flying the Ember inside, at a gymnasium setting. I got the lights primarily for this venue, as our club has monthly indoor flying events scheduled for about 6 months, starting in late October. In order to keep an eye on my plane when flying in a cloud of other Embers, Vapors, homemade specials, I wanted the lights to give the plane some ID. I'm happy to report the lights showed up very well under typical indoor recreational gymnasium illumination. The blinking white strobe on the tail fin really looked neat, and the green and red lights were not only clearly seen, but also helpful in orientation of the plane.

Here's a link to the supplier, go take a look. www.tinybritelights.com

The attached photos do not do justice to the actual brightness of these lights, and I was not able to get a photo of the plane in flight.

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Oct 16, 2009 at 02:23 PM. Reason: correction to link for TinyBriteLights
Old Oct 16, 2009, 01:14 PM
You can't handle the truth!
Joined Sep 2009
417 Posts
I am thinking of getting a bnf vapor or Ember for indoor flying this winter, I work in an auto shop which is long but only about 100 ft wide and 30ft tall. How fast is the stock Ember? Or would the vapor work better in this atmosphere? PM me with your answers please, as I don't check here much. Andy
fyter889 is offline Find More Posts by fyter889
Old Oct 19, 2009, 03:49 PM
Raleigh, NC
Joined Apr 2007
4,679 Posts
Has anyone made a prop saver for the Ember 2?

Bill
Sir Raleigh is offline Find More Posts by Sir Raleigh
Old Oct 21, 2009, 06:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
51 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamov
MikeW9

thanks for the info

im impressed being direct drive it would swing a heavy 5043 prop. the $$$ Carbon Fiber props would probably even make it work better

are the Lightning Power 130mah really rated 15C? do you recommend this battery over the Tenergy
Kamov;

Sorry for the late reply to your question. I've not looked at this thread for a while. Been working on some other indoor flying projects.

The Tenergy is only rated at 10C and gets a little puffy if I try to run them at 1.5 - 2A while the Lighting Power units seem to hold up better.
I use a Watts Up to check the performance.
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:06 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell View Post
Finally got to install a new lighting set on my Ember 2. I figure this time, with better lights, I hopefully won't lose the plane again as happened a week or two ago. I purchased the Micro Lighting set from TinyBriteLights, the set that is designed for both the Vapor and the Ember. Really amazing how well these lights perform. Very small mini-diode type lights, a green, red, and strobing white. Flew the Ember 2 early evening, and it looked OK. But, as darkness increased (7:45 PM EST), the lights really showed their stuff. Actually flew until it was almost total darkness. Wish I had a video of it, might get that made in the near future, a video camera and extra person willing.

The next concern was flying the Ember inside, at a gymnasium setting. I got the lights primarily for this venue, as our club has monthly indoor flying events scheduled for about 6 months, starting in late October. In order to keep an eye on my plane when flying in a cloud of other Embers, Vapors, homemade specials, I wanted the lights to give the plane some ID. I'm happy to report the lights showed up very well under typical indoor recreational gymnasium illumination. The blinking white strobe on the tail fin really looked neat, and the green and red lights were not only clearly seen, but also helpful in orientation of the plane.

Here's a link to the supplier, go take a look. www.tinybritelights.com

The attached photos do not do justice to the actual brightness of these lights, and I was not able to get a photo of the plane in flight.

RD
That is SO COOL! Were you ever able to get a night flight pic of it? I think this would be a neat plane to fly at night as I could easily toss it up in my neighborhood without worrying about it too much.

I'm going to build a night flying heli, but I figure I'll retrofit my Ember2 also...
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Oct 28, 2009, 11:08 PM
USA, CA, Westlake Village
Joined Sep 2004
1,791 Posts
Has anyone used white glue to put on the horizontal/vertical stabilizers? I recently purchased a fuselage set and I'm trying to transfer the wings/tail over.
lovespicyfood is offline Find More Posts by lovespicyfood
Old Oct 29, 2009, 10:14 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovespicyfood View Post
That is SO COOL! Were you ever able to get a night flight pic of it? I think this would be a neat plane to fly at night as I could easily toss it up in my neighborhood without worrying about it too much.
Flying an Ember with lights, at dusk or early evening is more than possible via the use of these tiny LED lights. Just be sure conditions are calm outside.

Both of my Ember 2's now have the updated #2022 Micro Light Set from www.tinybritelights.com, and 90% of the flying is done outdoors. Ember 2 #2 recently flown at an indoor event. Even with the gynmasium lights on, the LED's are clearly visable. The best of the indoor flying was when all but one of the gym lights were turned off and two Ember 2's with identical lighting systems were buzzing around. Neither hit anything during the "night flying" session.

Ember 2 #1 was up last evening, 23 minute flight using a ParkZone 120 mAh 1S Lipo (as supplied with the UM P-51 Mustang).

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac