HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 02:31 PM
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Apr 2009
875 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TjW View Post
Just the J3 motor. It slides in slick as snot. The motor leads are a little short. You can either splice in more wire, or bend the pins on the brick up to about a 45 degree angle.
As long as you're messing around up there, though, stick a short piece of the red tubing that comes with a can of WD-40 over the propeller shaft in between the propeller and the large gear.
You'll need a good battery to really get all the benefit. I use the MiniAviation 180. I understand the newer ones are 190s, but my 180s still work well enough I can't justify buying new ones.
Thanks!!...
karfrik is offline Find More Posts by karfrik
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 04:55 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,548 Posts
Quote:
You'll need a good battery to really get all the benefit. I use the MiniAviation 180. I understand the newer ones are 190s, but my 180s still work well enough I can't justify buying new ones.
If and when you go to replace the 180's, you will find the MiniAviation 190's are really very good. I have used them on my UM P-51 and Pole Cat. The Ember will haul the 190 w/o problems, and provide some decent flight times, well over 20 minutes at or near WOT. FWIW

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
Old Jan 17, 2013, 04:37 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Has anyone run the vapor gearbox and prop on their Ember? I have the J-3 motor installed and would like more thrust, like my J-3 motored Vapor has. How does the Ember fly with the lesser down thrust of the Vapor gearbox assy? Has anyone tried this?
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards
Old Jan 17, 2013, 09:41 PM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Has anyone run the vapor gearbox and prop on their Ember? I have the J-3 motor installed and would like more thrust, like my J-3 motored Vapor has. How does the Ember fly with the lesser down thrust of the Vapor gearbox assy? Has anyone tried this?
I cobbled a 4-Site gearbox and motor on mine and got vertical performance out of it. Weird seeing an Ember hover. I kept the downthrust when I attached it
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:52 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I cobbled a 4-Site gearbox and motor on mine and got vertical performance out of it. Weird seeing an Ember hover. I kept the downthrust when I attached it
Ember with just a J-3 motor doesn't have enough thrust to hover. Vapor, with it's different gearing, larger diameter prop, and the J-3 motor will.

I'm just wondering how the Ember flies with the Vapor gearboxes' lesser down thrust. The Ember gearbox has a bunch of down thrust.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 05:32 AM
Kit Manufacturer
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,518 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.edwards View Post
Ember with just a J-3 motor doesn't have enough thrust to hover. Vapor, with it's different gearing, larger diameter prop, and the J-3 motor will.

I'm just wondering how the Ember flies with the Vapor gearboxes' lesser down thrust. The Ember gearbox has a bunch of down thrust.
I would think you would still want the Ember down thrust because that is more a function of the wing camber and AoA.
coreman is online now Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Heading to the NEAT Fair
Old Jan 18, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
I would think you would still want the Ember down thrust because that is more a function of the wing camber and AoA.
Maybe. We can both speculate, I was wondering if anyone had tried it. I could also replace the front wing mount with a rear mount to take the AOA out of the wing. I know my Slow Stick flies better that way and needs no down thrust.

The reason for wating to change was for the gearbox and prop, The down thrust change happens to be built into the gearbox.
Last edited by t.edwards; Jan 19, 2013 at 03:07 PM.
Old Jan 19, 2013, 06:34 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Bump. Anyone played with the Ember in terms of thrust angle and the wings' AOA? I still (I started with a slow stick) regularly fly a brushless motored slow stick with equal height front and rear wing mounts, 20 deg dihedral, and a "barn door" rudder that is really fun to fly. The Ember seems it could be a mini equivalent.
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:01 AM
TjW
USA, CA, Riverside
Joined Mar 2006
217 Posts
Mine's fun to fly. But I didn't change the thrust angle or decalage or dihedral. And it's not brushless. And it's a reasonably large rudder, but I wouldn't call it a barn door.

But it's fun to fly.
TjW is offline Find More Posts by TjW
Old Feb 03, 2013, 04:07 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Mine's fun to fly.
Mine is too. Both my modded slow stick (great fun in the wind) and my modded Ember, calm or indoor only. I mostly fly bigger stuff but the Ember 2 with a Vapor/ Night Vapor gear box and prop, J-3 motor, is neat. Does require trimming down the Embers' CF fuse to accept the vapor gearbox.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 08:17 PM
Will work for JR/Spektrum
Canada, BC, Sechelt
Joined May 2008
1,499 Posts
hey guys. I just acquired an ember 2 brick (found that out after digging around for about half the day) and I was wondering is it possible to add a third servo to the empty channel?
Sabin is online now Find More Posts by Sabin
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:35 AM
Kokomo, Indiana
Joined Jun 2008
867 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
hey guys. I just acquired an ember 2 brick (found that out after digging around for about half the day) and I was wondering is it possible to add a third servo to the empty channel?
If you have the 'green dot' Brick then yes additional servos may be added because this is a 6-channel design. Makes for careful soldering onto the circuit board traces where the servo-connectors were left off.
CorvetteC5 is offline Find More Posts by CorvetteC5
Old Mar 31, 2013, 07:59 AM
United States, IL, Washington
Joined Nov 2008
1,953 Posts
The extra channels on the green dot brick have opposite polarity as the 6400 so be careful when hooking extra servos up.
TODD
I R Irv is online now Find More Posts by I R Irv
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:53 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
Here is the Thread with all you need to know.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN