HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 31, 2008, 03:30 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIAdam
i wouldnt mess with dropping it from the tiger moth but ive never had range issues
I probably won't, but if so, I would do it at our club site, from a rather low altitude, say 100 - 200 feet max. I would need to come up with some type of release mechanism, plus a second pilot to fly either the Moth or the Ember.
And, it would have to be at a time where there was absolutely no wind. Still, and interesting possibility!

RD
Doug Sipprell is offline Find More Posts by Doug Sipprell
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Big Red Cadillac
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 31, 2008, 10:32 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
Joined Apr 2007
317 Posts
Sounds cool but ya the wind. Might be too far away to save. I replaced my wing and used a tiny drop of hot glue. If i need to remove the wing, just heat up the glue gun and use the hot tip to separate them.
rc808 is offline Find More Posts by rc808
Old Aug 05, 2008, 09:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Ember Lights

That's right, folks, my Ember now officially has lights. Only two of them, but it's a start. I watched the Ember being flown at night at SEFF, and the lighting arrangement was neat and clean. So, while at SEFF, I bought some of these selfcontained lighting units that can be used on a host of applications, to include bobbers when fishing at night up to and including R/C applications. Danged if they don't work. Flew this evening at deep dusk and had no problem following the plane. When it got totally dark out, my night vision weakness started to come into play, so I landed the Ember after only an 8 minute 2nd flight. All I had was green lights, so with green at both wing tips, it could be a bit confusing. The Ember had no problem lifting the additional weight as each light with diffuser weighs less than a gram. I taped the light sticks to the bottom of the wing, at the CG point for that part of the wing (1-3/8" in from leading edge). Neato, I must say.

More info on these lights at www.Rod-N-Bobbs.com or www.RcModelLights.com

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 11, 2008, 09:26 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Red Light ?

Now that I am flying my Ember mostly at late dusk, I notice the red light on the receiver, it's visable while flying the plane during these early evening hours. I notice the red light goes on when you plug in the battery. I also notice, after some 7 or 8 minutes of flying that the red light will sometimes go out, then turn back on again. I have also noticed that the red light at times has stayed OFF following a flight even though there is enough residual power in the battery to operate everything. I am wondering if the red light is there to represent battery power available, possibly signal acquisition. Tonights flight was typical, the red light was completely off even though I landed early. With the receiver only 8-10" away from the antenna, the light remained OFF. Absolutely nothing in the manual concerning the red light, it's purpose, or what an "on" or "off" condition means, even with the plane still flying well.

I plan on calling the 800-504-0233 number tomorrow to see if I can get more info. Will post what I find out. In the interim, any comments or educated guesses?

Thanks

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 30, 2008, 12:00 PM
Which shall it be, Passworthy?
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
parts source?

This isn't mod-related, but I just bought one of these little guys last night at the bi-weekly indoor fun fly ("Friday Night Flights" ). I was just doing a Google search for a spare battery, but came up with nothing so far. Any recommendations?

Dave
hancockdw is offline Find More Posts by hancockdw
Old Aug 30, 2008, 02:21 PM
mel gibson?
Joined Apr 2008
197 Posts
dave, your lhs might have some. or try this. it says its for the cessna, but its the same as the ember.

http://www.gravesrc.com/PARKZONE_3_7..._p/pkz3001.htm
HPIAdam is offline Find More Posts by HPIAdam
Old Aug 30, 2008, 06:34 PM
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIAdam
dave, your lhs might have some. or try this. it says its for the cessna, but its the same as the ember.

http://www.gravesrc.com/PARKZONE_3_7..._p/pkz3001.htm
Yes, my LHS probably does. And I try to give them business when I can (bought the Ember from 'em -- they sponsor the Friday night fly). I just like to have options. I searched on "parkzone 3.7v 70mah" and got numerous hits. Picture does look the same, as you would expect.

Thanks!

I noticed that my wing isn't exactly square with the "fuselage". The tail appears to be. Is there any way to adjust the wing? It looks pretty securely glued in place.

Dave
Last edited by hancockdw; Aug 30, 2008 at 07:25 PM. Reason: spelling!
Old Aug 30, 2008, 09:16 PM
mel gibson?
Joined Apr 2008
197 Posts
actually the wing is only secured with a 4 small pieces of tape. get some nice thin tape, remake these pieces.

remove the old tape, reposition, re-tape. and your good.

i use small rubber bands. it allows it a little more give on hard landings (or crashes) and also allows you to remove it for transport or storage.
HPIAdam is offline Find More Posts by HPIAdam
Old Aug 30, 2008, 11:02 PM
Near Dallas, TX
Joined Jun 2007
2,495 Posts
Hmm. You're talking about the wing itself, or the wing supports? On mine it's the supports that seem to be off a few degrees. I'll have to take a closer look ....

Dave
Old Oct 12, 2008, 09:35 PM
Joined Feb 2007
428 Posts
Doug, that's a REALLY cool mod!

I got similar lights at walmart, but they are red. They also don't have the plastic/rubber end on them. Just the light itself.

I was thinking of attaching them the opposite direction as you, so they would actually light up the wing itself. Basically shining them ON to the wing.

One green like you have, and one red like I have could help a lot!

Thanks for the great ideas!
ap4me is offline Find More Posts by ap4me
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:22 AM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap4me
Doug, that's a REALLY cool mod!

I got similar lights at walmart, but they are red. They also don't have the plastic/rubber end on them. Just the light itself.

I was thinking of attaching them the opposite direction as you, so they would actually light up the wing itself. Basically shining them ON to the wing.

One green like you have, and one red like I have could help a lot!

Thanks for the great ideas!
Actually, the thanks go to the JR/Parkzone guys at SEFF this past May. They had one flying in the dead of night. You say you got your lites at Walmart. Where about's in Walmart? I have tried to find them at our local Wally World but no one seemed to know what or where.

Good luck with your Ember.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 13, 2008, 07:47 PM
Joined Feb 2007
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sipprell
Actually, the thanks go to the JR/Parkzone guys at SEFF this past May. They had one flying in the dead of night. You say you got your lites at Walmart. Where about's in Walmart? I have tried to find them at our local Wally World but no one seemed to know what or where.

RD
I found them back in the sporting goods section. I don't remember if I ended up asking or not, but they had them. I would be curious if you can find them there as well.
ap4me is offline Find More Posts by ap4me
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:11 PM
cat herder
Austin, Texas
Joined Jun 2005
247 Posts
Bobber Lights

[QUOTE=Doug Sipprell]Actually, the thanks go to the JR/Parkzone guys at SEFF this past May. They had one flying in the dead of night. You say you got your lites at Walmart. Where about's in Walmart? I have tried to find them at our local Wally World but no one seemed to know what or where.

The lights should be in the fishing tackle section. They are made to fit on the tip of a fishing pole to allow you to see it when fishing at night. Some are also to fit on the floats or bobbers as some call them.
jimmycashley is offline Find More Posts by jimmycashley
Old Oct 13, 2008, 10:32 PM
Elfi Flyer
Rock Hill, SC
Joined Oct 2002
5,554 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap4me
I found them back in the sporting goods section. I don't remember if I ended up asking or not, but they had them. I would be curious if you can find them there as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy
The lights should be in the fishing tackle section. They are made to fit on the tip of a fishing pole to allow you to see it when fishing at night. Some are also to fit on the floats or bobbers as some call them.
Thanks to both of you. I will look again on my next trip to China,....er......Walmart.

FWIW: You can buy them direct at www.RcModelLights.com and, in doing so, get a better selection of colors.

RD
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2009, 09:46 AM
RC Toys R 4 White Trash
Joined Dec 2008
4,090 Posts
Want an Ember

I have a Vapor my friend has an Ember, we mostly fly outdoors and the Vapor cant keep up. Its a dog. I changed motors in my Vapor, used a beard trimmer motor, and it now has plenty of power. But it still has those "Kite" wings, which really suck for outside. Im getting an Ember this weekend and was wondering if anyone has tried using the Vapor prop, which is bigger, to make it fly slower for indoor flights?

Thanks
Dan5.0 is offline Find More Posts by Dan5.0