HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2008, 09:49 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
I was thinking (hoping)you might find a signal that could be used with one of the converters that you sell.
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:13 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Eight
I was thinking (hoping)you might find a signal that could be used with one of the converters that you sell.
That should be no problem for adding a brushless ESC, the converter would connect to the gate pin of the existing ESCs mosfet. The new 1 gram 3 amp brushless esc would work fine and is only 0.42 grams with all wiring removed.
I'll convert one of my Vapors to brushless but think I'll let someone else experiment with it first. I already spend too much time trying ESCs and motors for my helicopters. Once the ideal motor/prop combo is found I'll do it.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:29 PM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Steve,
Can you show us what pin that would be on the Vapor board?

Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:58 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
The one I have marked with the little red line appears to be the gate.(I think?)
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:11 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
The receiver makes no difference in this case, its all up to the transmitter. The receiver just outputs whatever the transmitter sends it.

Best I can suggest it DIP 1 on, DIP 2 off and then try turning 3 and/or 4 on to see if it makes any difference on the output. You should probably power cycle the transmitter after each change.

I'd check it out myself if I still had a LP5DSM. I ripped the 2.4ghz transmitter out of mine and made it into a module for a Futaba radio. The LP5DSM chassis/microcontroller itself got turned into a trainer box with a USB interface for my father(which worked out really well as the radio runs perfectly off 5 volts)
Steve- What kind of range do you get with the LP5 Tx module? I thought it was prety low powered since the BCX2 is for indoor and backyard flying.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:29 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,725 Posts
Quote:
The one I have marked with the little red line appears to be the gate.(I think?)

Yeppers, thats it.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:38 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by minirips2
Steve- What kind of range do you get with the LP5 Tx module? I thought it was prety low powered since the BCX2 is for indoor and backyard flying.
The module is very low power - only 1 or 2 milliwatts. I usually get between two and three hundred feet of range.
I originally worked on the mod because I already had a Futaba 9CAP transmitter and also had the LP5DSM that came with my Blade CX2(and I have a tough time not modifying stuff) I have since retired the 9CAP for heli flying and bought a full range Jr/Spektrum transmitter. The 9CAP is still great for a grab and go kit with the Vapor or similar when I don't want to worry about my Jr 12x. With any luck the transmitter board can be removed from the RTF Vapor transmitter. If you happen to have a Futaba 9CAP or similar kicking around it makes for a fun project and gives you access to a nice flight timer, mixing, expo, dual rates etc.

Here is a link to the project in the DIY forum:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721024

The Atmel code is posted a few pages in so anyone can build it.

Something else I forgot to mention in my last post to Crazy Eight - while you have the brick out fully clear the black goop off the red LED - makes for better night flying.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 11:49 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Quote:
Something else I forgot to mention in my last post to Crazy Eight - while you have the brick out fully clear the black goop off the red LED - makes for better night flying.
Thanks for suggestion.By the way,this brick won't be going back in the Vapor it came from,the airframe met an untimely demise by trying to fly through the blades of a CX2 that was in flight.The RX brick and lipo was all that survived.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:03 AM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for suggestion.By the way,this brick won't be going back in the Vapor it came from,the airframe met an untimely demise by trying to fly through the blades of a CX2 that was in flight.The RX brick and lipo was all that survived.
Ouch! I can see the Blade CX2 winning that battle...

I just grabbed a brushless converter from the bin and installed it in my spare brick(with a defective servo) Here is a picture of a possible installation.
The white wire would go to the signal input of the brushless ESC. The power wires for the brushless ESC should be connected to the same place on the brick where the battery wires connect.(more scraping of black goop!)

termite - good to see you in the thread, need any more AR6300s?

edit - updated the picture, this one is a little better.
Last edited by TheSteve; Jul 27, 2008 at 12:10 AM.
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:09 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
I'll second that move.. I just did it after Steve mentioned it.. I never realised before that it was gooped over..

Here's a few shots of it in my dark living room.. really lights the wing up nicely and makes night flights tons easier.. the camera really doesnt do it justice however..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:13 AM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,725 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
I'll second that move.. I just did it after Steve mentioned it.. I never realised before that it was gooped over..

Here's a few shots of it in my dark living room.. really lights the wing up nicely and makes night flights tons easier.. the camera really doesnt do it justice however..

~Kev
When I bought my second Vapor I opened four BindNFly versions and 3 of the 4 had the red completely covered over, it couldn't be seen at all. I rejected those ones and found a nice one
Old Jul 27, 2008, 10:18 AM
Suspended Account
Utica Il.
Joined Dec 2002
4,222 Posts
Steve,
I'm always watching and trying to learn!!!!
I may take you up on that if you have some sitting around!?!?!?

I'll be ordering a couple of the converters for sure!
Thanks
Randy
termite is offline Find More Posts by termite
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 29, 2008, 01:23 PM
Joined Sep 2006
795 Posts
holy crap has nobody thought of this? brushless motor
b36roxs is offline Find More Posts by b36roxs
Last edited by b36roxs; Jul 29, 2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old Jul 29, 2008, 02:35 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by b36roxs
jesus christ has nobody thought of this? brushless motor
Yeh, its been thought of, the stuff exists to do it, though I've yet to see pics of anyone having done it.. all based off making the C210/Citabria brushless setups..

I made an "Oh $(*@" mod on mine last night.. Flying past my bathroom door when it got opened from the inside, sucking my plane through the door, and onto the lightbar above the medicine cabinet.. left side of the main wing got stretched tight from the heat of one lightbulb almost touching it, the right side got a 1/2" circular hole melted into it + stretched tight from touching anoter bulb.... Really put alot of washout into it via warping the wings frame with the tighter film.. the outter tips are also lifted almost 1/2" from the stretching as well.. made it handle totally different.. It'll high alpha like no ones business now.. strange.. and no, I haven't taped over the hole, and likely won't.. This wing will be ran till it fails lol..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 31, 2008, 05:04 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
V-tail mod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
so I thought.. V-tail!
Darksiede:
Any word on the V-tail mod. Seems very promising.
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko