HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:03 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,434 Posts
LOL

Well hybrids are the current thing aren't they?
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:09 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
LOL

Well hybrids are the current thing aren't they?
That, and hydrogen-which would work in the balloon! Don't do the Hindenburg thing, though.
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jul 26, 2008, 04:36 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,232 Posts
Great mod, penguin. I can't wait to try it.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Jul 26, 2008, 05:08 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
I just cooked up a new idea, and when my LHS has the parts, I will do it.. Just waiting on them to get another rudder in, so I can steal the hinge from its kit..oh wait! I need to check since I just replaced my rudder & elevator 2 days ago, I may have a spare hinge......

Since I have the LP5DSM, I can do rudder & elevator mixing, so I thought.. V-tail!

reduce 1/3rd of the tails weight at least.. Use the standard rudder/elevator hinge, rotate it 45 degree, trim off extra parts, and use 2 rudders.. would need to trim and relocate the control horn on the right side rudder to the inside I think..

I've already tested the CCPM mixing of the Tx on the Vapor board, and confirmed it will work the two servos in unison.. can't wait to try this out, and shave some more weight!

~Kev

Edit:
Oh snap, I do have the spare hinge, but my original rudder's post isn't log enough to reach through and secure.. could trim the hinge down a bit tho..hmmm
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:06 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
darksiede, sounds like a fun project. I've never tested any v-tail mixing with a LP5DSM. I do know it does not do proper CCPM though, you can turn it on but it will not command the three servos properly.
Hopefully the v-tail function does work properly. I'd fully test it before modifying the Vapor.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:15 PM
United States, TN, Memphis
Joined Apr 2007
1,705 Posts
Quote:
Use a prop guard, the first 4 tries were a bust
i see what you did there. its puntastic!

lmao
Torx is offline Find More Posts by Torx
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:31 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
darksiede, sounds like a fun project. I've never tested any v-tail mixing with a LP5DSM. I do know it does not do proper CCPM though, you can turn it on but it will not command the three servos properly.
Hopefully the v-tail function does work properly. I'd fully test it before modifying the Vapor.

Well, if I turn it on right now with the vapor un-modified..
#2 and #4 dips up...
If I push the stick:
down: left rudder + up ele..
up: right rudder + down ele
Right: right rudder + down ele
left: left rudder + up ele

top left or bottom right on stick: nuetral control surfaces (no movement)..
top right: right rudder + down ele
bottom left: left rudder + up ele...

So hmm, it doesn't seem to me that is properly mixed.. correct me if im wrong tho.. perhaps if my LP5DSM won't do it, someone with e DX6I/DX7 can and reports back!

~Kev

PS: what exactly does "CCPM" mean & do anyways?
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:47 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede

PS: what exactly does "CCPM" mean & do anyways?
Its Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing for use in helicopters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic/...e_pitch_mixing

I know the LP5DSM pcb has lots of features labeled but I'm not how many are implemented in the software as Horizon only sells the LP5DSM with the Blade CX2 which requires no mixing at all.

No question it can be done with the higher end Spektrum transmitters - DX6i, DX7, x9303 and 12x.

btw, you don't want switch 2 up, the radio should be in airplane mode for the mixing you're trying to get.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 06:55 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
Its Cyclic Collective Pitch Mixing for use in helicopters:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic/...e_pitch_mixing

I know the LP5DSM pcb has lots of features labeled but I'm not how many are implemented in the software as Horizon only sells the LP5DSM with the Blade CX2 which requires no mixing at all.

No question it can be done with the higher end Spektrum transmitters - DX6i, DX7, x9303 and 12x.

btw, you don't want switch 2 up, the radio should be in airplane mode for the mixing you're trying to get.
Ah, 'splains that right up! lol.. I thought sw 1 was ap/heli, and 2 was ccpm on/off?.. regardless, even with sw 2 off, the results are still the same as posted above..

~Kev
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:20 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
found a way to slow down the vapor biplane even more:

vapor biplane in the wind (4 min 4 sec)

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline Find More Posts by crabfu
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:22 PM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Sounds like the poor little motor is under some stress in the balloon clip.
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jul 26, 2008, 08:31 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Lol crabfu.. I almost bought the wing today at my LHS to do that.. ended up buying props for my SS instead.. the big bird needed a new puller!

Steve... do you know if the LP5 will mix properly on an AR6100, or any "regular" spektrum Rx? I was really hoping it would so I could make up a nutball or something and not have to get a Tx to do the mixing.. I'm wanting working elevons without building a sliding tray..

I could always go small scale on my SD idea, having ailerons and an elevator centered between them.. then for 40 bucks I can have an in-betweener for my vapor and SS..

~Kev
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:04 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
Lol crabfu.. I almost bought the wing today at my LHS to do that.. ended up buying props for my SS instead.. the big bird needed a new puller!

Steve... do you know if the LP5 will mix properly on an AR6100, or any "regular" spektrum Rx? I was really hoping it would so I could make up a nutball or something and not have to get a Tx to do the mixing.. I'm wanting working elevons without building a sliding tray..

I could always go small scale on my SD idea, having ailerons and an elevator centered between them.. then for 40 bucks I can have an in-betweener for my vapor and SS..

~Kev
The receiver makes no difference in this case, its all up to the transmitter. The receiver just outputs whatever the transmitter sends it.

Best I can suggest it DIP 1 on, DIP 2 off and then try turning 3 and/or 4 on to see if it makes any difference on the output. You should probably power cycle the transmitter after each change.

I'd check it out myself if I still had a LP5DSM. I ripped the 2.4ghz transmitter out of mine and made it into a module for a Futaba radio. The LP5DSM chassis/microcontroller itself got turned into a trainer box with a USB interface for my father(which worked out really well as the radio runs perfectly off 5 volts)
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:14 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Steve,any news on the fourth channel?
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
Old Jul 26, 2008, 10:41 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Eight
Steve,any news on the fourth channel?
I wish there was! I've probed the brick for hidden signals and found none. Its possible I missed it but at this point I'm willing to say its not there.

My dream was to find a regular servo signal for the aileron channel and a jumper to convert what is now controlled by the aileron channel back to proper rudder control. This would have allowed us to use the built in servos for rudder/elevator and plug in a micro servo for aileron use.(Are you listening Horizon engineers?)