HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 27, 2009, 11:50 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by roidspop
I enjoy watching the wing BEENNNNDDDD in max pullouts...and nothing breaks!
Famous last words!
PiperCub49 is offline Find More Posts by PiperCub49
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2009, 09:33 AM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Roidspop,

Wish you would post a link to the Wright Flyer video!!! Thanks!

I disagree that PK put the Vapor out early. I find it to be extremely well designed and far more bang for the buck than I expected. However, most flyers like to tweak and make improvements that would probably complicate the mfg process for the stock version.

I got the CG back by by doing away with the battery tray and mounting a 135mAh cell across the brick. Next big improvement was adding string struts to the wings to stop the deflection.

However, I do agree with you that most indoor flying is boring. I've just about given it up for yard flying.

Around sundown most summer days the Vapor around the natural obstacle course of tree trunks, hanging plants and under the bench is an absolute blast. Couple spots loosing visual contact for 1.5 sec is pretty exciting. Not to mention doing a wall climb on the garage door and missing the roof overhang.

Getting it to stay inverted would be fun, but I wouldn't want to give up any of the present flying qualities, or pay any more to get it.

I've heard it said that the GWS SlowStick is nothing but a tame trainer, but usually not after seeing these videos.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...68#post5268768

Cheers,
John255
John255 is offline Find More Posts by John255
Last edited by John255; Jul 28, 2009 at 09:44 AM.
Old Jul 28, 2009, 10:27 AM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John225
I disagree that PK put the Vapor out early.
I believe he was referring to the Sukhoi.
I have done so many crazy things with my Vapor that I have now resorted to flying it almost as if it is a trainer. For me, practicing landings in the road at sunset is simply relaxing fun. Touch-and-goes and strong climbouts keep it all interesting. No matter how good my Sukhoi (which is coming) turns out to be, it will never completely take the place of my Vapor.

-PC49
Old Jul 28, 2009, 11:13 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,401 Posts
My personal wish instead of the Sukhoi was for a Vapor with ailerons, tiperons, wing-warping, something very light so we might be able to hover it, do rolls, etc.

I've not bought a Sukhoi BNF yet, and I may resist it for a long time. I have 4 Vapors that I let the kids at church with no previous flying exerience fly. Yes, they are getting tired-looking. And we've broken a few props along the way. But not too much else.

Last night at one of our indoor flying sites, several guys tried out a brand new Sukhoi. Neither was able to ROG and then fly a circuit of the full-sized gym. They always crashed into a brick wall or the floor while turning. It bounced off in all cases, but I was worried each time about what may have broken or bent. I guess they must have been flying on the spare prop.

On my Vapors, such wall impacts are incredibly rare. And not to be worried about at all. Floor impacts do happen. Just call them touch and gos because that's what happens. Great Vapor design!

Jim
Quote:
After watching a wonderful video of a Slow-Wright Flyer-Stick with wing warping for roll, very effective too, I am wondering if that might not be a nice solution for the Vapor. It would mean losing the dihedral, probably remounting the wing closer to the CG and then rigging a third servo to twist the wings. Maybe CF torque tubes running out to the wing tip or outer ribs?

I've gotten inverted a couple of times, but never seemed to have enough elevator to keep it that way for more than a few seconds. I enjoy watching the wing BEENNNNDDDD in max pullouts...and nothing breaks! Must try again!

I'm thinking what we need for indoor flying is a sort of 3D pylon course so the maximum amount of banking and yanking can be fully enjoyed...maybe tethered helium balloons w/ regular balloons hanging on the tether marking turn points? Dunno. Just flying around and around the gym is boring.

As to the Sukhoi...everybody seems to be having the same trouble...the CG is too far forward unless you extend the battery tray aft, add some weight to the tail AND lighten the nose a tad. It's underpowered; my feeling is it needs at least half again as much as it can produce with the stock setup...people are putting in geared brushless motors and going up to 240 mAh packs. They can fly beautifully (but at my elevation, they fly beautifully as pretty tame trainers), but PZ was hasty in putting them out.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:21 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Jim,

I am able to hover with my Vapor for quite a while with the E-Flite 110mAh batteries. Rolls on the other hand, well... What's also strange is that I have broken my landing gear a few times, but have never managed to break my prop. Hmmm... I now know the true limits of the airframe and don't plan on seeing that of the prop.

I have refrained from saying it so far, but here is my personal opinion: It seems that while everyone was waiting for their Sukhoi's, they came up with their own expectations for the plane. It was stated that it WAS NOT A 3D PLANE. It was a sport plane. With the Sukhoi body, people think that it should hover, knife edge, and flat spin. I will know what kind of plane it is when I get mine, but let's be realistic; it's fast and it does some scale aerobatics. If you want a plane to throw the sticks around with, get a profile foamy or, to stick to the topic, a Vapor.

Okay, off the soap box.

-PC49
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:38 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Oh yes, I see Roidspop was referring to Sukhoi.
Please accept my apology man!
Thanks PC49
Regards,
John255
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:57 PM
CA
Joined May 2007
1,099 Posts
is there a separate Ember thread?

anyway the ember props break so easy[because i crash]and lhs has no stock was desperate i used a GWS 4040 trimmed the width and it flies well.
the gws is about 1 gm compared to stock around .2 gms.

anyone knows a good alternate prop?

tnx
Kamov is offline Find More Posts by Kamov
Old Jul 28, 2009, 12:59 PM
Work....fly, repeat...
Fredericksburg, Virginia
Joined Jul 2008
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
I have done so many crazy things with my Vapor that I have now resorted to flying it almost as if it is a trainer. For me, practicing landings in the road at sunset is simply relaxing fun. Touch-and-goes and strong climbouts keep it all interesting. No matter how good my Sukhoi (which is coming) turns out to be, it will never completely take the place of my Vapor.

-PC49
Been flying my SU around and kinda like it. I keep bumping it, and bending things and adding tape and CA...and the weight goes up. And it takes a special place to fly it...larger areas. BUT, I fly my Vapor EVERY day exactly as you state. Relaxing in the parking lot early in the morning before work, and then in the evening an hour before sunset to relax. Such a joy to fly.

I think I am up to following like 8 Sukhoi threads...can't get any work done! Now I have to add this Vapor thread. Glad I found it. Thanks guys.
-Allen
AeroRecon is offline Find More Posts by AeroRecon
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:07 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Kamov,

You can do some research/ask about alternative props on these threads:

Official Parkzone Ember Review Thread
Offical Parkzone Ember Mod Thread

...the latter doesn't have any prop info, but would be the better place to post your question.

-PC49
Old Jul 28, 2009, 02:17 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by John255
Roidspop,

Wish you would post a link to the Wright Flyer video!!! Thanks!

I disagree that PK put the Vapor out early.
Here you go:
Radical RC Wright Stick FPV flight #2 (5 min 20 sec)

Actually I agree that the Vapor is just about perfect; it was the Sukhoi I was thinking about. The CG issue and power problems should have kept it off the market until they could be resolved.

I enjoy flying in the Vapor in the evening calm against a background of colorful clouds...indoor is fun, but I've seen too many "landings" like this:
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
Advanced District5 Champion!
In the vicinity of the midwest.... home of large lots of land to fly in!!
Joined Mar 2008
2,364 Posts
Quote:

Actually I agree that the Vapor is just about perfect; it was the Sukhoi I was thinking about. The CG issue and power problems should have kept it off the market until they could be resolved.

I enjoy flying in the Vapor in the evening calm against a background of colorful clouds...indoor is fun, but I've seen too many "landings" like this:

the sukhoi doesnt have power issues...... it has more than enough.
Ironbowser is offline Find More Posts by Ironbowser
Old Jul 28, 2009, 03:17 PM
Pensacola, FL, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,235 Posts
Roidspop,
Great video, many thanks!
I recognize that lamp landing!
I have never flown in a golf dome, maybe that would be different. I don't know.
Regards,
John255
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:37 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbowser
the sukhoi doesnt have power issues...... it has more than enough.
Geez. Second misunderstanding on this thread in one day! Adam, I think he was talking about the Sukhoi. Notice, "Actually I agree that the Vapor is just about perfect; it was the Sukhoi I was thinking about."

And yes, what a fantastic video! If only we all could muster up the funds for such gear!

-PC49
Old Jul 28, 2009, 04:58 PM
Joined Apr 2005
1,001 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PiperCub49
...what a fantastic video! If only we all could muster up the funds for such gear!

-PC49
The Wright Stick plane kit isn't too bad and you can get $20 ultra minicamcorders now (yeah, not the same, but maybe good enough?) Somebody on these forums posted videos shot from a Vapor with one of those, so I've got one coming...probably will go on one of my other planes, though.
roidspop is offline Find More Posts by roidspop
Old Jul 28, 2009, 05:11 PM
Playing with AutoCAD!
United States, ME
Joined Oct 2008
2,654 Posts
True. That was surely FPV though, right?