Old Jul 24, 2008, 05:46 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msburko
What does the CYRF send to the Mega48?

If the CYRF outputs the full serial stream then possibly the Rudder channel can be constructed from it.

You can see the Cypress chip output the data from both channels that are transmitted. If you're going to go to the effort of decoding the output from the Cypress chip though you may as well just build the entire receiver since at that points its 90% done.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2008, 06:13 PM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,378 Posts
I don't see all that many weight reduction options here yet!

For weight reduction, I removed the battery tray, the velcro, and the battery label. Went from 15.5 grams to 15 grams, a .5 gram or 3% weight savings. Will let the pack hang, and/or use a tiny piece of Scotch tape. To hold the battery in place.

Seeing that Ched in post #20 got it down to 14 grams removing the tray, etc. and also the spinner, his spinner must have weighted 1 gram. I'd like to think of a lighter spinner to replace it with instead of just going without one. When flying in-house, I hit walls, columns, furniture and such too regularly! Perhaps something cut from a very light foam rubber.

I'd like slightly larger, lighter, but more visible wheels to aid in orientation. Anyone found a suitable material? And what to hold them on with? Removing the landing gear looks to offer some weight reduction, and would move the CG rearward. But the gear makes takeoffs and landings so much fun, and it protects the prop, so I hate to just remove it.

At Air Midi Micros: http://airmidimicros.com/AMMMisc.htm I see some Micro Wheel Set 20 MM that are .14 gram each, and 15 MM that are 0.078 g each. Anyone weighed the Vapor wheels yet?

Any "hop-up" kits available yet for this plane? Just kidding! It's early and this is a tough act to follow!

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Jul 24, 2008, 08:16 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
You can see the Cypress chip output the data from both channels that are transmitted. If you're going to go to the effort of decoding the output from the Cypress chip though you may as well just build the entire receiver since at that points its 90% done.
I'm not ready to take on the RF layer. Binding, Frequency selection, etc.

I'm thinking of a Serial to PPM conversion of the 125K Baud serial stream.

How does that sound?
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Old Jul 25, 2008, 07:41 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
For weight reduction, I removed the battery tray, the velcro, and the battery label. Went from 15.5 grams to 15 grams, a .5 gram or 3% weight savings. Will let the pack hang, and/or use a tiny piece of Scotch tape. To hold the battery in place.

Seeing that Ched in post #20 got it down to 14 grams removing the tray, etc. and also the spinner, his spinner must have weighted 1 gram. I'd like to think of a lighter spinner to replace it with instead of just going without one. When flying in-house, I hit walls, columns, furniture and such too regularly! Perhaps something cut from a very light foam rubber.

I'd like slightly larger, lighter, but more visible wheels to aid in orientation. Anyone found a suitable material? And what to hold them on with? Removing the landing gear looks to offer some weight reduction, and would move the CG rearward. But the gear makes takeoffs and landings so much fun, and it protects the prop, so I hate to just remove it.

At Air Midi Micros: http://airmidimicros.com/AMMMisc.htm I see some Micro Wheel Set 20 MM that are .14 gram each, and 15 MM that are 0.078 g each. Anyone weighed the Vapor wheels yet?

Any "hop-up" kits available yet for this plane? Just kidding! It's early and this is a tough act to follow!

Jim
My vapor weighed 14.7 to start with. Some are even lighter than that but not much. The prop spinner was .3 grams ( I think ). It does give some protection. I broke my gearbox and maybe the prop spinner would have saved it. I don't care I'm leaving it off. I just flew my freinds vapor that weighs 15.3 grams and what a pig it is. His will not fly vertical unless the battery is real fresh. Mine will shoot straight up with a dead battery. I'm waiting for the LG to break off so I can mess with that. I would like to make it removeable like the ember. I would like to fly sometimes without it. I want a carbon fiber prop for another weight savings of about .3 grams but I don't know which one to get. At $23 a prop, I don't want to buy one that doesn't work good.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:57 AM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Ok gents I have a question to chew on for ya!

In another thread a member wanted to "slow down" his ParkZone Minium Cessna. So, another member suggested using a Vapor prop. He said it slowed his down and he just cruises now.

Here is my question: If using the Vapor prop slows the Cessna down, will the Cessna prop on the Vapor speed it up?

thanks,
James
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old Jul 25, 2008, 10:09 AM
Your Mama's house!
Joined Mar 2005
6,196 Posts
Also in the Cessna there is a mod to swap out the bushings that hold the prop shaft with 3mm bearings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=5

I bought mine here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11

So can I do this with the vapor also? Is the shaft 3mm?

thanks,
James
Butters is offline Find More Posts by Butters
Old Jul 25, 2008, 01:08 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butters
Also in the Cessna there is a mod to swap out the bushings that hold the prop shaft with 3mm bearings.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...16&postcount=5

I bought mine here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...0&postcount=11

So can I do this with the vapor also? Is the shaft 3mm?

thanks,
James
I think the shaft is 1mm. The outside diameter of the bearing must be 3mm. I was afraid to do the bearing mod if it makes the gearbox weaker. I already broke my gearbox twice, I don't need to make it weaker.
Now, about your other question about the prop. I broke my vapor prop and tried everything I had. The cessna prop works very poorly. It has less thrust and it will not spin as fast as it does on the cessna because of the different gearbox. Besides that, you don't want the vapor to fly faster. It flexes the main wing or something and heads for the ground. Then you pull up and it goes up too much. High speed makes the vapor hard to fly level. It flys best slow. I would like to try the vapor prop on my cessna and ember but the gearbox has different ratios and I bet the bigger prop will overload the motor. It will be trying to spin the big prop too fast and won't be able to do it causing it to draw too much current. I am going to put the vapor gearbox and prop on my ember if my order ever gets here. The slow guy that is delivering your vapor must have my stuff too.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:53 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
Biplane

Biplane mod.... it is slightly more stable in slow flight, you don't have to pitch it up as much, and the extra lift helps in maintaining a slower flight in small spaces

vapor biplane indoor (4 min 53 sec)

-Crabfu
crabfu is offline Find More Posts by crabfu
Old Jul 25, 2008, 02:57 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Crabfu, you're a god.. I've been trying to figure out how to do just what you did.. I was scared to buy the wing without a plan.. shoulda just dove in though lol.. will be doing this mod asap, possibly removeable to restore it to normal config as well..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Jul 25, 2008, 03:04 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksiede
Crabfu, you're a god.. I've been trying to figure out how to do just what you did.. I was scared to buy the wing without a plan.. shoulda just dove in though lol.. will be doing this mod asap, possibly removeable to restore it to normal config as well..

~Kev
lol, yeah I was afraid to mess up my vapor as well, because it flys like a dream stock! But I ended up moding it to something else, and bought another vapor. In the process I ended up with extra set of wings, so had to try out this mod. I had the intention of making it removable, so that I'd still have a nice flying vapor if it fails. But I liked it enough to be a keeper. It is a slight improvement, but given a small room to fly in, that tiny bit of improvement in stability in slow flight means A LOT Simple mod... finally an indoor plane that I can fly around in a relaxed state on mind!

-Crabfu
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jul 2008
38 Posts
Lightest Vapor Mod

I was going to try the biplane mod to slow the plane down but it doesn't look slow enough for me. So I went with the weight reduction route and got the flying weight down to 1 gram.

mod

A few mod notes.
-16" balloon
-Don't try this outside, the 1st try went right to the ceiling.
-Use a prop guard, the first 4 tries were a bust.
-Use a balloon with more lift than needed and add ballast.
-The first part of the video uses less ballast and the vapor floats a little too much. The second half uses more weight and I am able to do the worlds slowest ROG and touch and gos. I was also able to fly it around from room to room.
penguin71 is offline Find More Posts by penguin71
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:26 PM
Joined Nov 2005
38 Posts
LOL brillant!!!

-Crabfu
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:31 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Not bad. I haven't seen a blimp fly that good, or a vapor fly that slow. You improved both.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:31 PM
Chicago - I mean the city (not the burbs)
Joined Feb 2007
46 Posts
Given what you said about the first one heading straight for the ceiling, I would say you successfully got it well below one gram - maybe negative one gram? Is that some kind of record?

Hanzo
han_zo is offline Find More Posts by han_zo
Old Jul 26, 2008, 01:38 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
I like that vapor bi-plane. That was a good thing to try.