Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:54 AM
My other heli is a Vapor
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2007
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdearth
HI eander,

It is not a stupid question but I am not sure why you would want to.
The Vapor will hover with the motor it has and it looks like the set up is pretty near optimal for that airframe.

Tim
The stock motor is great, but with just a little more oomph I could power through maneuvers that I execute incorrectly. I mostly fly in a large empty area in my office, and because the ceilings are not tall enough, I have little room for error when looping or doing anything vertical. Of course, learning to fly better would be cheaper
eander315 is offline Find More Posts by eander315
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 17, 2008, 09:55 AM
Budapest, Hungary
Joined Mar 2005
294 Posts
Not a stupid question. One may want to use the brick in other planes with different motors. That's what I'll do. I don't have a Vapor brick yet, but I'm sure someone has the answer. Sounds like the Minium bricks can handle larger motors than the one supplied with the Cessna with no problem. I will want to use mine with a 7mm orange or red, 4:1 gearbox and 5X3 prop.

Bruce
PietenpolAC is offline Find More Posts by PietenpolAC
Old Jul 17, 2008, 11:35 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eander315
The stock motor is great, but with just a little more oomph I could power through maneuvers that I execute incorrectly. I mostly fly in a large empty area in my office, and because the ceilings are not tall enough, I have little room for error when looping or doing anything vertical. Of course, learning to fly better would be cheaper
Do you need it to loop tighter? Have you moved the control rod to give the elevator more travel? It helps a lot. You might try removing weight too. Only one gram removed makes the plane 7% lighter and it will feel like it gained 7% more power. I think it would be hard to come up with a better set up than it has. If you add weight with a bigger motor, prop, etc then you won't gain much and you will mess up the CG and have shorter run times.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Jul 17, 2008, 01:27 PM
My other heli is a Vapor
Houston, TX
Joined Dec 2007
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched
Do you need it to loop tighter? Have you moved the control rod to give the elevator more travel? It helps a lot. You might try removing weight too. Only one gram removed makes the plane 7% lighter and it will feel like it gained 7% more power. I think it would be hard to come up with a better set up than it has. If you add weight with a bigger motor, prop, etc then you won't gain much and you will mess up the CG and have shorter run times.
I completely forgot to try moving the control rod to the closest hole. That should give me more control and will negate the need for more power I think. I might try a larger motor in the future for laughs, but it looks like I won't nee dit for now. Thanks!
eander315 is offline Find More Posts by eander315
Old Jul 17, 2008, 03:21 PM
Joined Jul 2008
38 Posts
Who needs LEDS. It's a full moon out. What a neat flight silhouetting the vapor in front of the full moon at 100ft up.
Tonight I'll try the glow sticks.
penguin71 is offline Find More Posts by penguin71
Old Jul 18, 2008, 01:11 PM
Joined Jan 2005
768 Posts
What is the weight of the Vapor receiver/servo assembly? Has anyone
checked the range with DX6i transmitter?
scharlach is offline Find More Posts by scharlach
Old Jul 19, 2008, 10:14 AM
RC Connectors dot com
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Jan 2008
1,183 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scharlach
What is the weight of the Vapor receiver/servo assembly? Has anyone
checked the range with DX6i transmitter?
Mine is 3.3 grams with antenna and battery cable/plug. Don't know the range yet.
glenn2626 is online now Find More Posts by glenn2626
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: New Xtreme Video TX cable
Old Jul 19, 2008, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2008
38 Posts
dumped my vapor in the lake.
it was under for about 30 seconds.
blew it off and used a semi cool hot hair dryer.
was flying again in 15 minutes.
is this thing indestructible? knock on wood.
penguin71 is offline Find More Posts by penguin71
Old Jul 19, 2008, 06:42 PM
Retired RC Flyer
Jacksonville, Florida
Joined Jul 2008
220 Posts
Vapor

It's a Blast
clt12981 is offline Find More Posts by clt12981
Old Jul 20, 2008, 07:11 AM
Mc-Fly
Melbourne-Australia
Joined Mar 2008
1,110 Posts
Heres a fantastic step by step guide to repairing your Vapors.

http://www.modelflight.com.au/manual...0tutorials.pdf

Heres a few Pics from the Document
Veteran is offline Find More Posts by Veteran
Old Jul 20, 2008, 01:41 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,437 Posts
Thanks!!
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Jul 20, 2008, 06:28 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
Component Specs

Specs of parts as lifted from a post by Mike Taylor:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...77#post8426577

Part numbers were lifted from post by glenn2626:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post10070932

PKZ3001 2.2g 70mah Battery
PKZ3302 0.9g Prop + 0.3g spinner, 140mm x 45mm
PKZ3351 3.25g Rx Brick
PKZ3327 Gearbox w/o motor, 6:1
PKZ3316 Main Motor, 6mm, 3 ohm
-------> 2.2g Motor/Gearbox
PKZ3320 Main Wing: Vapor 15x37 cm, ~0.54 Sq ft (~1oz/sf wing loading)
PKZ3307 0.1g Tail Wheel: Vapor

edit: adding spec's as I get them
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Last edited by msburko; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:02 PM.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:36 PM
Joined Jul 2008
5 Posts
Hey thanks for that .pdf, that really helps. I am a total noob and tried to search for this but no luck. How do I remove the motor from the fuselage? I broke my landing gear and got a replacement set. I thought I could just clip it on the fuselage and use some CA, but you actually have to slide it on from the front, which means removing the motor. I tired some CA remover as a test on the broken landing gear and it just melted the plastic, which means it must be acetone. I don't want to melt my motor mount with acetone. Any suggestions?
asylum5 is offline Find More Posts by asylum5
Old Jul 21, 2008, 01:46 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by asylum5
Hey thanks for that .pdf, that really helps. I am a total noob and tried to search for this but no luck. How do I remove the motor from the fuselage? I broke my landing gear and got a replacement set. I thought I could just clip it on the fuselage and use some CA, but you actually have to slide it on from the front, which means removing the motor. I tired some CA remover as a test on the broken landing gear and it just melted the plastic, which means it must be acetone. I don't want to melt my motor mount with acetone. Any suggestions?
Don't use the acetone,(CA remover) it eats the glue out of the carbon fiber fuselage too. Then it swells and becomes tighter in the gearbox. I don't have the answer to removing the gearbox. I think I would cut the bottom of it off so that it could be twisted around until it let go. Then I would glue it back on and wrap it with unwaxed dental floss. Then soak the dental floss in CA. I broke my gearbox and fixed it that way. Wait !! just found this post by Butters

Quote:
Ok gents for removing CA and all super glues use this: Purell Hand Sanitizer.

It won't harm the parts and it breaks down the CA really fast.

AWESOME!!!

http://www.brands2liveby.com/brand.aspx?id=310

Oh also mines in the mail! Oh yeah!
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Last edited by Ched; Jul 22, 2008 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 02:41 PM
Joined Jul 2008
5 Posts
I don't think I want to use dental floss to secure my motor mount back on. Surely people have been removing the motor successfully?
asylum5 is offline Find More Posts by asylum5