HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:59 PM
Joined Jul 2008
38 Posts
i made some floats from bubble tea straws. (1/2" diameter drinking straws)
they looked nice and to scale. the vapor floated in my sink and was able to take off and land from pavement. Tried a take off on water and did a nose forward and ended upside down in the water. I think the gear holding the floats spread and then the front dove into the water. After 20 seconds i was able to recover the submersed plane. A few minutes of blowing it off with my mouth and the hairdryer and I was flying again. I then tried building some floats out of pipe insulation. they didn;t look pretty and I didn;t dare try a water take off again. I thought I'd let a seaplane expert figure it out before trying again. Maybe I'll try the straws as skiis in the winter.
penguin71 is offline Find More Posts by penguin71
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:02 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
Try in shallow water.. IE: only deep enough that if it noses in, the prop spinner gets wet and hits bottom.. much like a glide test, there's a safer way to test a float vapor :P

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 19, 2008, 06:42 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre73
Hey Ched
Did you ever get your landing gear fixed? If so, can you provide any helpful hints on the process? I'm new to this like you and am a bit intimidated by pulling off the front motor and gear. Any help on fixing a broken landing gear would be most appreciated.
Do you have some .025" carbon fiber rod? You can repair broken landing gear or pretty much anything on the vapor. Use a small piece of carbon rod and make a splint. Then wrap unwaxed dental floss around the broken area. It doesn't take much, just a few wraps. Then soak it in CA. This is a very strong repair and light too. I have fixed my gearbox in two places, my main wing in two places, my new tail dragger is attached like this, my landing gear is attached like this. I can post pictures if you want me to.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Aug 19, 2008, 05:08 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Wow Ched, that would be a great post with a couple of quick pictures. I guess I'm off to get some carbon rod. Thanks so much for the help.
Spectre73 is offline Find More Posts by Spectre73
Old Aug 19, 2008, 07:10 PM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
well I finally got my vapor after the first flight I was dissapointed so I set it on FIRE

well... not really

I used 97% rubbing alcahol from walmart to get the ''dissaponting'' graphics off
my brother left his on
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Aug 19, 2008, 11:59 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
That looks really good. What did you use to paint it? Sharpies?
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 20, 2008, 01:07 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,386 Posts
I forgot to take pictures of how the GloPaint worked. Company delivered quickly so put green on one side and red on the other then installed UV leds. First roughend the outside of the leds to make them more diffuse. They do work better now, but the glo paint is a bust. If I zap it w/a camera flash it glows quite well but doesn't last too long, maybe 10 minutes before the green is too weak for good in-flight viewing. W/ the led illumination, it doesn't really glow much at all, looks like it did before I painted it up. Need to find a better led and research the light frequency that stimulates emmision best (sounds sexy?).
stanordave is offline Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:28 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanordave
I forgot to take pictures of how the GloPaint worked. Company delivered quickly so put green on one side and red on the other then installed UV leds. First roughend the outside of the leds to make them more diffuse. They do work better now, but the glo paint is a bust. If I zap it w/a camera flash it glows quite well but doesn't last too long, maybe 10 minutes before the green is too weak for good in-flight viewing. W/ the led illumination, it doesn't really glow much at all, looks like it did before I painted it up. Need to find a better led and research the light frequency that stimulates emmision best (sounds sexy?).
What a drag! The UV LEDs aren't really UV then? I thought it would glo like crazy.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 06:42 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,389 Posts
Hey Ched!

Lots of good tips there on Vapor weight reduction. I removed the battery tray earlier and just that small weight difference was quite noticeable in performance.

Have you missed the prop spinner in terms of crash survivability? Or perhaps you never crash!

If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a photo of what you did to the wing ribs/braces/whatever you did. I'd hate to trash my perfectly good Vapor cutting away the wrong place or cutting too deep! Plus you have some flying experience post-modification to know that what you cut off that did or did not matter after all.

Thanks!
Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ched
I'm at work now, so I'm going from memory. I removed the prop spinner .3 grams. I removed the battery tray .3 grams and then you don't need the velcro or battery stickers (.03 grams ) . I use scotch tape. One little piece holds the battery better than the velcro and lasts about 20 or more battery changes. I put my battery behind the brick anyway. I cut half the wing braces away .25 grams. I replaced the wire tail dragger with a carbon fiber one, saved .1 grams. I replaced the wire wrap that holds the battery wires to the fuse. I used unwaxed dental floss, saved maybe .03 grams there. I made new landing gear that saved me .1 grams, not worth the trouble but mine broke anyway. I can use a 50mah havoc heli battery that saved me another .85 grams! The easy ones are the prop spinner, battery tray, wing ribs, and that is about a gram.
Jim_Marconnet is offline Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:15 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
Hey Ched!

Lots of good tips there on Vapor weight reduction. I removed the battery tray earlier and just that small weight difference was quite noticeable in performance.

Have you missed the prop spinner in terms of crash survivability? Or perhaps you never crash!

If you get a chance, I'd appreciate a photo of what you did to the wing ribs/braces/whatever you did. I'd hate to trash my perfectly good Vapor cutting away the wrong place or cutting too deep! Plus you have some flying experience post-modification to know that what you cut off that did or did not matter after all.

Thanks!
Jim
I think I crash more than anyone. I have broke two props, broke my gearbox in two places,and broke the end off the prop shaft. Would the rubber spinner save me some damage? I don't know, probably some of it, but I don't care. I won't put it back on. I'm at work now. I can post pictures later of all the weight reducing mods.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 09:50 AM
Retardedly intelligent
beavercreek,ohio
Joined Jan 2007
3,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
That looks really good. What did you use to paint it? Sharpies?
yup, I used the red,orange and yellow sharpies.
foam and tape is online now Find More Posts by foam and tape
Old Aug 20, 2008, 10:21 AM
Sherman, TX
Joined Aug 2003
342 Posts
Vapor repair

Sometime, I broke the v part coming from the wing to fuse at the fuse and now both sides broke. What is the best way to fix? thanks....Joe
jed1d is offline Find More Posts by jed1d
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:34 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jed1d
Sometime, I broke the v part coming from the wing to fuse at the fuse and now both sides broke. What is the best way to fix? thanks....Joe
Wrap the broken area in unwaxed dental floss. Then soak it with CA. (super glue). I think I will start a vapor repair thread since I broke mine in about 10 places now.
Old Aug 20, 2008, 11:41 AM
USA, WA, Seattle
Joined Oct 2005
766 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANSWrench
Full lotus has been making inflatable floats for full scale aircraft for years. Does anyone here have experience sealing this material together?
I believe that mylar balloons will seal somewhere in the 200-210 degree range. I've used a sealing iron on old mylar balloons and been able to make a good seal with it.
balesse is offline Find More Posts by balesse
Old Aug 20, 2008, 12:14 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_Marconnet
Hey Ched!

Thanks!
Jim
Robster talked me into cutting part of the wing ribs out. I have not missed them but it was scary cutting them out, knowing I couldn't put them back. His post is on this page with pictures. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=888584&page=3