HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 14, 2008, 12:19 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
The prop is a microinvent prop and I got it at http://airmidimicros.com/MIProps.htm. The prop I got on there was:

Prop Description:
Maximum Diameter: 127 mm (5.0")
Prop Gradient: 76 mm (3.0")
Weight: 0.35 g
Hole Diameter: 1.0 mm
Maximum Thrust: 25 g
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 14, 2008, 07:21 AM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
vapor thrust

Over in the ParkZone Vapor RTF thread:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...7#post10340447
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironbowser
Yes! on fully charged, mine created 16 grams of thrust, and at near dead it created 11 grams, making my vapor hover. can all of your vapors hover? or is mine a fluke?
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Old Aug 16, 2008, 10:32 PM
Joined Aug 2008
2 Posts
Hey Ched
Did you ever get your landing gear fixed? If so, can you provide any helpful hints on the process? I'm new to this like you and am a bit intimidated by pulling off the front motor and gear. Any help on fixing a broken landing gear would be most appreciated.
Spectre73 is offline Find More Posts by Spectre73
Old Aug 17, 2008, 02:09 AM
looking for my lawndart er plane
Joined Oct 2003
176 Posts
The entire airframe is held together by CA, so parkzone will say to use debonder... problem is debonder is going to melt the plastic of the gearbox, it doesn't seem to have much of an affect on the carbon though.

If the gearbox is broken then it's not a huge deal because it's going to melt anyways. If it's not broken then your guess is as good as mine
UltimaSE is offline Find More Posts by UltimaSE
Old Aug 17, 2008, 01:53 PM
The wing is the thing
Great Bend, Kansas, United States
Joined May 2004
588 Posts
Does anyone sell rolls of the pet film? Nothing wrong with mine, I would just like a change.
RANSWrench is offline Find More Posts by RANSWrench
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:28 PM
Syracuse NY
Joined Dec 2002
105 Posts
more thrust please

I would like to get a bit more thrust out of the Vapor.

Has any body looked into using a different Parkzone gearbox on the Vapor?

The Cessna and Citabria seem to have a 4.25:1 (34:8) gearbox (vapor is 6:1 using 48:8 gears). I have not found the ratio for the Ember yet.

Seems the Vapor motor will fit the Cessna and Citabria (CandC) gearbox(s). Vapor motor is supposed to be more powerfull.The Vapor prop will also fit.

The CandC gearbox will need a mount for the Vapor fuselage. The Ember has the same square fuselage. Ember seems to have much more downthrust but that can be hacked.

Thanks, Mitch

PS. Just replaced my prop. Vapor prop measured 0.9g plus 0.3g for the spinner.
msburko is offline Find More Posts by msburko
Last edited by msburko; Aug 17, 2008 at 09:52 PM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 02:44 AM
Fly long and land softly
Madison, Alabama USA
Joined Oct 2005
5,337 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RANSWrench
Does anyone sell rolls of the pet film? Nothing wrong with mine, I would just like a change.
I've not done it on any of my planes, but some locals use: Reynolds Color Plastic Wrap (see your local grocery store), held to the airframe with Duck brand blue Glue Stick for ultralight covering. Yes, after they glue it on, they heat shrink it a tiny bit, very carefully. Since it's clear, and it only has a tiny bit of color, you'd have to then figure out a safe way to add your desired color scheme, possibly with colored Sharpies.

To see a clear blue tail of a GymSwallow covered this way, see: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=396

I sure don't want to modify my Vapor while it still flys. But I'd like the tail to look significantly different from the wing. Too often in flight I lose orientation. And when flying several at a time in a gym or similar, it would be nice to have them look different.

Here's an old thread on this covering technique: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=reynolds+wrap They mention planes exploding on impact, so be forewarned!

Do let us know what you try and how it works.

Jim
Jim_Marconnet is online now Find More Posts by Jim_Marconnet
Last edited by Jim_Marconnet; Aug 18, 2008 at 02:53 AM.
Old Aug 18, 2008, 06:03 AM
USA, NC, Apex
Joined Aug 2003
829 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msburko

The Cessna and Citabria seem to have a 4.25:1 (34:8) gearbox (vapor is 6:1 using 48:8 gears). I have not found the ratio for the Ember yet.
I believe the vapor gets way more thrust than the cessna,citrabria (and probably ember) because of its combination of larger prop and higher gear ratio. If you went to a lower gear ratio with that same large prop you would probably be out of the power band for the motor. Haven't tried different combinations, but the fact that they are getting around 12-14 grams of thrust out of that little 6mm motor tells me it is already pretty darn near optimal. If you wanted more, you'd have to go to an even higher gear ratio and larger prop.

Tim
Tim Cullip is offline Find More Posts by Tim Cullip
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:01 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by msburko

Seems the Vapor motor will fit the Cessna and Citabria (CandC) gearbox(s). Vapor motor is supposed to be more powerfull.The Vapor prop will also fit.

The CandC gearbox will need a mount for the Vapor fuselage. The Ember has the same square fuselage. Ember seems to have much more downthrust but that can be hacked.

Thanks, Mitch

PS. Just replaced my prop. Vapor prop measured 0.9g plus 0.3g for the spinner.
I don't know how to get more thrust but I don't need any now that I have lightened the Vapor. My Vapor will shoot straight up with a dead battery until it hits LVC. Lighten your Vapor just one gram and see the difference!
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Aug 18, 2008, 09:29 AM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,185 Posts
Ched,

Could you list the weight saving mods?

Which have the most weight savings?

Which are the easiest/most bang for the buck?

Dan
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 18, 2008, 10:34 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfeather
Ched,

Could you list the weight saving mods?

Which have the most weight savings?

Which are the easiest/most bang for the buck?

Dan

I'm at work now, so I'm going from memory. I removed the prop spinner .3 grams. I removed the battery tray .3 grams and then you don't need the velcro or battery stickers (.03 grams ) . I use scotch tape. One little piece holds the battery better than the velcro and lasts about 20 or more battery changes. I put my battery behind the brick anyway. I cut half the wing braces away .25 grams. I replaced the wire tail dragger with a carbon fiber one, saved .1 grams. I replaced the wire wrap that holds the battery wires to the fuse. I used unwaxed dental floss, saved maybe .03 grams there. I made new landing gear that saved me .1 grams, not worth the trouble but mine broke anyway. I can use a 50mah havoc heli battery that saved me another .85 grams! The easy ones are the prop spinner, battery tray, wing ribs, and that is about a gram.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Aug 18, 2008, 11:31 AM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
Touch-and-goes off the kiddie pool?

Has anyone besides me thought about making floats for their vapor? Seems like there should be enough thrust to lift off water if you could make the floats light enough.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:59 PM
The wing is the thing
Joined May 2004
588 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Elevator
Has anyone besides me thought about making floats for their vapor? Seems like there should be enough thrust to lift off water if you could make the floats light enough.
I'm thinking something inflateable. Mylar balloon material maybe?
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:31 PM
How do I change this text?
The Beautiful Mountains of Utah
Joined Oct 2006
6,223 Posts
Balloons -- great idea! I would have never thought of that.
Darth_Elevator is offline Find More Posts by Darth_Elevator
Old Aug 18, 2008, 08:44 PM
The wing is the thing
Joined May 2004
588 Posts
Really not that original. Full lotus has been making inflatable floats for full scale aircraft for years. Does anyone here have experience sealing this material together?