HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 04, 2013, 11:11 AM
Older than rocks
United States, PA, Warminster
Joined Dec 2002
425 Posts
A vapor with a tow

Joe Nerz has been at it again. Here is his Vapor towing a tiny glider. Video is not so hot, he flys it better than that.

joeflysi (0 min 25 sec)

And a couple of pix
n2wizard is offline Find More Posts by n2wizard
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 07:28 AM
Ashford. Kent. England
Joined Feb 2005
7,007 Posts
If you are in the UK have a look at these so called dead helis... I bought them for spare parts as I am building micro model planes.. all the bits worked they were just C*** helicopters .. bits include 85mA lipos, twin 8mm motor gearboxes, USB charger lead for battery.. connectors , even the props can be used on small models.......etc...
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3207696836...84.m1439.l2649

here is my Vapor... after I put my finger through the wing covering I used Xmas foil wrap ... I fly it on a 160 lipo and its lovely
davereap is online now Find More Posts by davereap
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:16 PM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap View Post
If you are in the UK have a look at these so called dead helis... I bought them for spare parts as I am building micro model planes.. all the bits worked they were just C*** helicopters
Good for you!!! Half my planes are 2nd/3rd hand. (Some built/flown, some kits/ARFs) I like them not just for the lower price as much as I *hate* seeing perfectly good hardware get thrown out because something's 'broken.'

I got my vapor for $10 because the LG and rudder were snapped off, and the wing was all taped up. It's a *blast* to fly. Nothing in the way of mods just joined the thread to see what's going on and what more I can do with it.

One thrill flying was something I've wanted to do for a while but didn't risk with UM Champ. No one else around, so flew Vapor in pits, down the row of canopies over the workbenches.
jbarchuk is online now Find More Posts by jbarchuk
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
O.K. Is there something wrong with me... After reading this thread I just bought a NV.I have 2 champs that I love to fly. A um T-28, Firebird Stratos and a never flown AXN clouds flyer..I should be moving up in my planes...uggh.. I love the Champ because I can go toss it in the backyard and fly around the trees. Don't have to leave the house..looking at this thread I can fly the NV in my driveway.
O.K. I guess I answered my own question...lol Can't wait to get it...
Ginohio is offline Find More Posts by Ginohio
Old Feb 27, 2013, 12:39 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,783 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginohio View Post
Don't have to leave the house..looking at this thread I can fly the NV in my driveway.
Technically the driveway is not 'in the house.' You can fly it in your garage, in your kitchen, in a large walkin closet. OK not quite in your sock drawer but definitely in the kitchen or garage.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 01:51 AM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
I guess you think that funny...really trying to find the humour in that..I post I just bought a NV and this how you treat people new to the the thread...nice guy there J
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:14 AM
DeBary, FL
Joined Nov 2010
1,783 Posts
Quote:
I guess you think that funny...really trying to find the humour in that..I post I just bought a NV and this how you treat people new to the the thread...nice guy there J
Really? Go read your post again, then read mine again in the -context- of just having read yours.

The gist of yours was 'something wrong with me,' 'moving up in planes,' 'fly the champ around the trees,' 'don't have to leave the house,' 'fly it in the driveway,' and the -last- line 'answered my own question.'

Which made *me* laugh! I do the same thing! I can't fly the Champ in the yard because it's a little too small but I do figure-8s with Vapor around half a dozen trees. At the field I fly much bigger stuff too but I actually *IMPRESS* people with what Champ can do. Last week I was flying Vapor just at dusk when the wind stopped and a ***PRO** class guy said 'even every *advanced* pilot should have one of these - there's a lot they can learn from it.' That was as I was doing touch-n-gos off the tables, skimming inches above the grass, and doing tight turns around the canopy poles. Vapor is friggin *awesome* when handled with finesse.

The point I was making was that you *can* literally fly it in the house, when it's a blizzard outside and there're no other options. Not quite in a drawer, but definitely walking around the house following it from room to room. There's nothing else quite like it.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 06:48 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,859 Posts
When reading posts to these forums, it's always best to give the writer the benefit of the doubt. We all tend to read things into what is actually written. The Night Vapor is the best thing in its class, so nothing to joke about!
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Feb 27, 2013, 08:32 PM
United States, OH
Joined Mar 2012
1,050 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
When reading posts to these forums, it's always best to give the writer the benefit of the doubt. We all tend to read things into what is actually written. The Night Vapor is the best thing in its class, so nothing to joke about!
My bad, you are correct on reading into things from a text. Hoping my NV will come in friday.. Though I not flying it in the house on 1st flight.
Old Feb 28, 2013, 01:30 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
My bad, you are correct on reading into things from a text. Hoping my NV will come in friday.. Though I not flying it in the house on 1st flight.
I tried to fly mine in the house and failed miserably. I took it outside, to get the feel, then flew it closer and closer in and set it up for high alpha flight (wing forward, battery back) and tried inside again.

After that I found I could fly full batteries indoors without crashing. Added a J-3 motor and could loop indoors.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 01, 2013, 07:53 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,859 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNGN View Post
I tried to fly mine in the house and failed miserably. I took it outside, to get the feel, then flew it closer and closer in and set it up for high alpha flight (wing forward, battery back) and tried inside again.

After that I found I could fly full batteries indoors without crashing. Added a J-3 motor and could loop indoors.
I found that a 25C battery could get mine to loop in stock condition. Fun stuff.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
Old Mar 04, 2013, 04:07 AM
Life is better, when you fly.
United States, CO, Conifer
Joined Oct 2006
128 Posts
Trying to make a collapsible Night Vapor

Do you guys know of anyone or any previous posts about making a collapsible Night Vapor?

I'm thinking about something I could just jam in a backpack, or fold up in a tube and go. I've been thinking about options like a whole new kind of wing to bolt on the frame. Or maybe just cutting the wing frame and finding a way to tape it back together every time I take it out and fly.

Any ideas? I kind of brainstorming here. I already fly this thing everywhere and pack it in a suitcase when I travel. Got to be an easier way!
Docta is offline Find More Posts by Docta
Old Mar 04, 2013, 08:13 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docta View Post
Do you guys know of anyone or any previous posts about making a collapsible Night Vapor?

I'm thinking about something I could just jam in a backpack, or fold up in a tube and go. I've been thinking about options like a whole new kind of wing to bolt on the frame. Or maybe just cutting the wing frame and finding a way to tape it back together every time I take it out and fly.

Any ideas? I kind of brainstorming here. I already fly this thing everywhere and pack it in a suitcase when I travel. Got to be an easier way!
Styrene tube makes a good butt joint for the wing uprights:

UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old Mar 04, 2013, 11:16 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,745 Posts
you could try a mini vapor which has the advantage of flying more comfortably in a small space. Or swap the gear into a mini nutball (foam disk about 10" dia) for plans see
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836389

or try a kite type model which can pack flat

see http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1822911

Terry
Terry Rigden is online now Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Aug 2005
957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
you could try a mini vapor which has the advantage of flying more comfortably in a small space.
Is that true? I bought an original Vapor I've modded. J-3 motor, front and rear wing struts, contol rods in inner holes, cf rod from the top of the elevator control horn to the trailing edge of the elevator. Sounds like a bigger deal to do than it is.

End result is a Vapor that (if you get off the right stick) will fly very slow on the wing (slower than the mini-vapors I fly around) and also do nice slow motion harriers at varying aoa's plus tight inside and outside loops. I use 125 Tp batteries. It's fun in a small area.

A modded Ember is really better in the bigger area of my front yard, like looping around the phone/power lines.
t.edwards is offline Find More Posts by t.edwards