HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 14, 2012, 06:27 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower View Post
The Vapor isnt the "Micro Vapor," its just the "Vapor," its just in an ultra micro category.
So this is the "mini vapor."

ah right,im with you.
mrmurder1975 is offline Find More Posts by mrmurder1975
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:15 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
United States, IA, Grinnell
Joined Aug 2007
4,014 Posts
So does that mean, we might get a 120 or even a 180 Vapor? I'm thinking glow terms here.
Rn
A Rdnek is offline Find More Posts by A Rdnek
Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:46 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,590 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek View Post
So does that mean, we might get a 120 or even a 180 Vapor? I'm thinking glow terms here.
Rn
If you want it to glow buy a night vapor

Terry
Terry Rigden is offline Find More Posts by Terry Rigden
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:36 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
starting to have issues with mine (apart from the leg breaking and also snapping the prop today!) in that every time i power it up,i have to rebind it. not the end of the world i know but its a p.i.t.a! doing the usual,letting the tx (dx6i) search for a free channel for a few seconds and keeping it away from the vapor while i plug the battery in etc.

on a lighter note,im getting the hang of flying indoors now,even in my small rooms its just about manageable. although i would really like to try it in a large room, i reckon it would be so much better. got the wing almost all the way forward and the battery almost all the way back.that seems to be the sweet spot for mine. slowly getting the hang of flying high alpha constantly now too....and i even managed to prop hang it for 5 or 6 seconds earlier.....until i crashed it into its own box and broke the bloody prop!

all good fun though!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:17 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,590 Posts
Given the number of breakages you are suffering I wonder if you are flying it rather fast. I've hit loads of thing with mine and breakages are very rare.

Regards Binding issues, I had that with my DX5 I put up with it for a while then it started locking out in flight , not a bit problem with the vapor but when it did it to my delta outside it got rather expensive. Check with other models to see if its teh Vapor or your transmitter. Has the Vapor aerial been moved adjacent to teh CF fuselage rod, that will cause loss of range.

Terry
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Given the number of breakages you are suffering I wonder if you are flying it rather fast. I've hit loads of thing with mine and breakages are very rare.

Regards Binding issues, I had that with my DX5 I put up with it for a while then it started locking out in flight , not a bit problem with the vapor but when it did it to my delta outside it got rather expensive. Check with other models to see if its teh Vapor or your transmitter. Has the Vapor aerial been moved adjacent to teh CF fuselage rod, that will cause loss of range.

Terry

yep, you are right. the two breakages i have suffered are due to too much speed and not enough control. things come at it really fast in such a small space! lol

just want to get a prop now as i was really starting to get the hang of it before the 'incident' .
good call about the binding issue. stupidly, it did not occur to me that it might be my tx....but i have since put a few batterys through my stryker with the same tx and no issues occurred (thank god!)

don't have the vapor with me right now,but i do seem to remember moving the aerial up closer to level to the fuse to keep it out of the way as that's right about where i like to hold it to launch from. so that could very well be my problem with losing the bind. i will angle it back down and out a bit,as it was out of the box and with a little luck that will sort that problem out.

Thanks.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:47 PM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,590 Posts
The aerial on my Vapor sticks straight up from the brick gets knocked every now and then.

When you get your new prop it might be a good idea to check the balance I've seen reports of some being way out.

They also go really nicely with the carbon fibre 5x3 props from Micron (who also doo vapor spares) but they are expensive so you might want to wait till you crash less. saves quite a bit of weight too and rotating weight is always bad news.

Another weight saver is to use a lighter battery I've flown mine on a 30 mAh battery just not for as long I thing I got 6 minutes.

Terry
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:46 AM
Johnal
Costa Mesa
Joined Jul 2006
254 Posts
New or Used? Moving the wing?

It's been a loooong time since I've been to these forums, but I came across my old DX7 in a move and I've been itchin' to fly something. I decided to pick up one of these Night Vapors (BNF) and I've just got a couple concerns I'm sure you guys could clear up for me in a jiffy.

1. There's this weird bundle of copper wiring near the back of the wing. I'm pretty sure these are just for the LEDs but I was kind of surprised to see just a mess of wiring. Is this how they come normally?

2. The wing material seems a little loose. I saw in this thread people mentioned that a little heat from a heat gun can tighten this right up, but I just wanted to know if this is how it normally comes stock.

I did a couple test flights and It's a lot of fun so I don't want to complain too much, but I did spend a nice chunk of change on this thing and I want to know whether I got a used plane; you want to know if you're buying a car with 100,000 miles on it even if it runs great, yea?

Finally, I read that I can fix the porpoising by moving the wing back and the battery forward as much as possible. Now, I had no problem moving the battery holder forward some, but I'm a little nervous about trying to force the wing back. I'm gonna have to flip through the manual or look for a youtube video...whichever takes less energy. Anyway, thanks in advance!
SntaCruz83 is offline Find More Posts by SntaCruz83
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:57 AM
UK, Bedworth
Joined Apr 2004
2,590 Posts
The wiring on these is often messy if it works don't worry about it

DON'T go anywhere near it with a heat gun. the Cf rods wills shatter. Loose covering is fine in fact it gives a better aerofoil.

Where you put the wing depends where you like to have the CG on mine I prefer it with the front wing post 15mm back from the rear of the motor mount and the battery tray right up behind the undercarriage. You can cure teh porposing with elevator trim.

Terry
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:04 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,566 Posts
What Terry said.

Additionally;
The wing mounts can be moved fore and aft on the fuselage stick. They are a snug fit. Alternate between the front and rear mounts when moving the wing. Check that the center rib of the wing is not deformed as it indicates that the wing mounts are not properly aligned on the fuselage (too close together or too far apart).
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:45 AM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SntaCruz83 View Post
It's been a loooong time since I've been to these forums, but I came across my old DX7 in a move and I've been itchin' to fly something. I decided to pick up one of these Night Vapors (BNF) and I've just got a couple concerns I'm sure you guys could clear up for me in a jiffy.

1. There's this weird bundle of copper wiring near the back of the wing. I'm pretty sure these are just for the LEDs but I was kind of surprised to see just a mess of wiring. Is this how they come normally?

2. The wing material seems a little loose. I saw in this thread people mentioned that a little heat from a heat gun can tighten this right up, but I just wanted to know if this is how it normally comes stock.

I did a couple test flights and It's a lot of fun so I don't want to complain too much, but I did spend a nice chunk of change on this thing and I want to know whether I got a used plane; you want to know if you're buying a car with 100,000 miles on it even if it runs great, yea?

Finally, I read that I can fix the porpoising by moving the wing back and the battery forward as much as possible. Now, I had no problem moving the battery holder forward some, but I'm a little nervous about trying to force the wing back. I'm gonna have to flip through the manual or look for a youtube video...whichever takes less energy. Anyway, thanks in advance!
Loose wing material should be no problem.

I was surprised how easy it was to move the wing further back just by sliding it along the main body spar. I had been having CG issues, and one of the old-timer free flight guys at my club told me to do that. Now it is smooth and perfect in the air.

HTH!
marhar is offline Find More Posts by marhar
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:49 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Rigden View Post
Another weight saver is to use a lighter battery I've flown mine on a 30 mAh battery just not for as long I thing I got 6 minutes.

Terry
I agree with this. I've started making my own 70 mAh batteries using cells from Hobby King, It turned out to be pretty easy, and it makes the Night Vapor an even nicer, slower flyer.

I was able to get 17 minutes, flying as gently as I could with one of these.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...batteries.html
http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2011/...for-night.html

Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
Johnal
Costa Mesa
Joined Jul 2006
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Wolff View Post
What Terry said.

Additionally;
The wing mounts can be moved fore and aft on the fuselage stick. They are a snug fit. Alternate between the front and rear mounts when moving the wing. Check that the center rib of the wing is not deformed as it indicates that the wing mounts are not properly aligned on the fuselage (too close together or too far apart).
Thanks for all the tips. Glad I read about not using a heat gun after all. =) I pushed the Wing back and flew it last night with no wind and I officially love this thing.

On a side note, and still related to the most recent post on this thread, I purchased a 150mAh battery that doesn't quite fit into the charger that came with the Night Vapor; the black portion is a little bit too fat. Any suggestions/workarounds or advice? Maybe an affordable charger? An extension cable of some kind? I'm not sure what the name of these micro connectors are called. -- so tiny.

Edit: I see now that marhar actually linked to where i can find extensions...though, ack! on backorder!

There's this thing - Ultra Micro Battery Adapter - that would fix the fat problem, but I'm not sure what the large connector is and where I could plug that in to. Same deal as this one though the latter is rated poorly - one reviewer makes a good point about balancing the batteries properly.

Anyway, thanks for any input.
SntaCruz83 is offline Find More Posts by SntaCruz83
Last edited by SntaCruz83; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: Opened hyperlinks to previous thread by marhar that answered my question partially.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:29 PM
Mark Harrison
USA, CA, Piedmont
Joined Jun 2010
2,231 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for all the tips. Glad I read about not using a heat gun after all. =) I pushed the Wing back and flew it last night with no wind and I officially love this thing.

On a side note, and still related to the most recent post on this thread, I purchased a 150mAh battery that doesn't quite fit into the charger that came with the Night Vapor; the black portion is a little bit too fat. Any suggestions/workarounds or advice? Maybe an affordable charger? An extension cable of some kind? I'm not sure what the name of these micro connectors are called. -- so tiny.

Edit: I see now that marhar actually linked to where i can find extensions...though, ack! on backorder!

There's this thing - Ultra Micro Battery Adapter - that would fix the fat problem, but I'm not sure what the large connector is and where I could plug that in to. Same deal as this one though the latter is rated poorly - one reviewer makes a good point about balancing the batteries properly.

Quote:

Quote:

For a charger, I ordered the little USB charger for the Turnigy 911 helicopter and soldered in the extension cable. I like the convenience of the USB-based chargers, since I'm always around at least 1-2 computers I can plug them into.

I had an old powered USB hub sitting around, so I went crazy and made it into a super-charging station.

http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...completed.html
http://eastbay-rc.blogspot.com/2012/...s-charger.html
Old Nov 20, 2012, 08:43 AM
Cincinnati, Ohio
Joined May 2002
622 Posts
Quote:
Same deal as this one though the latter is rated poorly - one reviewer makes a good point about balancing the batteries properly.
Balancing is only needed with LiPo multiple cell packs, 7.4v and up. The single cell used in the vapor does not.
rszanti is offline Find More Posts by rszanti