Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 10, 2008, 10:47 AM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
So I succumbed.. I had my original elevator laying around tempting me.. the rod that runs through the hinge for it had snapped. So i trimmed the remainder off, trimmed the control horn off... and experimented..

I now have a vapor 1/2 Bipe.. glides much better then original, has really good high alpha characteristics, and as a mod weighs almost nothing, while contributing to lower wing loading...

I tacked it on with little dots of hot glue, which also brace the main wings mounts on the fuselage. My wing is now temporarily in a fixed position. The second elevator is upside down, and mounted facing backwards between the front wing mount, and the battery tray which I had previously trimmed..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2008, 02:12 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Quote:
Coated my Vapor with Clearneon. Check out the video.
Nice!
Wonder if a blacklight LED (or 2-3-4...) added like the night flying white led would light the paint?

Might have to hack something like this flash light to get them?
Stall'n_N_Haulin is offline Find More Posts by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Old Aug 11, 2008, 06:31 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Stanordave put UV LEDs on his vapor back on page 2 of this thread. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...=888105&page=2
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched
Old Aug 11, 2008, 11:35 AM
Joined Jan 2006
2,348 Posts
And I'm gonna do it again as soon as the paint arrives!
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 11, 2008, 01:16 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
I was wondering if anyone knew if it would 'light' the paint since it didn't 'light' up the markers? Guess we'll find out when the paint arrives!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:04 PM
Joined Jan 2006
2,348 Posts
Part of the reason it didn't light the markers was the radioShack brand of UV's was directional out of the end of the led. I've ground that part to make it diffuse so hopefully will spread the light around more.
stanordave is online now Find More Posts by stanordave
Old Aug 11, 2008, 02:59 PM
Winging it >
Joined May 2006
9,402 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stall'n_N_Haulin
Nice!
Wonder if a blacklight LED (or 2-3-4...) added like the night flying white led would light the paint?

Might have to hack something like this flash light to get them?
You could just shine this flashlight on the Vapor first to see if the lights are strong enough before the effort of mounting the led's on the plane
leadfeather is online now Find More Posts by leadfeather
Old Aug 11, 2008, 05:52 PM
Joined Jul 2007
324 Posts
Quote:
Part of the reason it didn't light the markers was the radioShack brand of UV's was directional out of the end of the led.
Oh well, 1st time the shack even had what I was looking for in stock and it only shines a beam. Guess that's what the '30 degree viewing angle' on the back of the package means.

I had google'd blacklight led's and from what I read there are many that simply don't work on blacklight items/colors. They don't put out the right frequency of light or have a coating that doesn't actually create the right frequency of light.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 01:53 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
My mods

Well, I finally got my magnets in and the 2 carbon fiber props I ordered. So, I went right into installing them. The prop was a bit of a challenge because it is very thin at the center hole, so I had to find a way to install it. First, here are the battery/magnet pics:

Here is the magnet glued to the battery.

Here is the other magnet glued to the frame.

And here is the two together.

And now onto the prop install:

Here is the 5 inch prop

To mount it I made a little prop saver.

And here is the prop installed.

With everything I've done on here my flying weight is right at 14.0g
diamondd7711 is offline Find More Posts by diamondd7711
Old Aug 12, 2008, 05:28 PM
Foaming at the mouth..
USA, KS, Topeka
Joined Jul 2008
924 Posts
The weight you saved by going to the CF prop, is offset totally, if not more then totally by the prop saver.. a bad idea? No.. I'd have done the same thing.. trimming off the battery tray and swapping to those tiny RE magnets helps..

I've never weighed mine (no scales) but I'm sure with my battery tray trimmed down super slim, and trimming the flashing from the molded parts, removing the tail landing wire and its mount.. I'd have to believe I'm under 14g.. how much I can't say, but I know mine will do nearly unlimited vertical through 50% of the pack now..

~Kev
darksiede is offline Find More Posts by darksiede
Old Aug 12, 2008, 11:45 PM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
The stock prop and cone weighs 1.1g, my new prop and prop saver together only weighs .6g. So there was still some savings in weight. Also, the prop saver is convenient because I have a 4 inch and a 5 inch carbon prop and it makes swapping them out easy.
Last edited by diamondd7711; Aug 12, 2008 at 11:53 PM.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:25 AM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
The stock prop and cone weighs 1.1g, my new prop and prop saver together only weighs .6g. So there was still some savings in weight. Also, the prop saver is convenient because I have a 4 inch and a 5 inch carbon prop and it makes swapping them out easy.
So, how do those new props work? Is vertical flight the same or not as good?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 11:14 AM
Danger is my middle name
USA, DE, Magnolia
Joined May 2008
127 Posts
The 4 inch prop goes like a bat outa hell....it's fun outside but way too fast to fly inside. The 5 inch prop is very close to the performance of the stock prop, though with the lightened weight of my vapor I can climb vertical through the whole battery.
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:02 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondd7711
The 4 inch prop goes like a bat outa hell....it's fun outside but way too fast to fly inside. The 5 inch prop is very close to the performance of the stock prop, though with the lightened weight of my vapor I can climb vertical through the whole battery.
Sweet! That is what I wanted to hear. The 5" prop sounds like the one I want. I broke two props, the prop shaft and the gearbox. I bet your setup with the prop saver will keep anything from breaking. Where did you get that prop?
Old Aug 13, 2008, 06:29 PM
Joined Jan 2005
489 Posts
vapor static thrust?

Anyone have static thrust numbers for the Vapor?
flybob1 is offline Find More Posts by flybob1