HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2003, 01:27 AM
United States, FL, West Palm Beach
Joined Jun 2001
2,216 Posts
motor setup for competition fun fly

Hello All

I was wondering, what motor would be the lightest(no more than 15 oz) motor/controller/pack setup to spin a 9x6 or 10x4(preferably this one) prop 18,000 RPM(has to be maintained). The total flight time will only be a max of 1 min long.

Here are the specs of the Plane.

http://www.diamonddustrc.com/DiamondU.htm

I would like to use lithium batteries(Kokams), but what battery configuration and cell type would be ideal.

Thanks
Carlo
Eco8gator is offline Find More Posts by Eco8gator
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2003, 03:17 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,803 Posts
Why 18K RPM? Its not a speed plane at all. Are you trying to mimic the IC engine?

Needing power for just a minute I would think you need very high draw, leaving the LP out of it.

I looked in Motocalc and could not get a combo with less than 16 cells, or less than 600* with the motor.
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Old Jan 28, 2003, 05:14 AM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,982 Posts
One of the reasons for high rpm is that all events are timed from take off to touch down. Most events are lost by the time it takes to get to manuever altitude and to return to the ground after the event is concluded. I know Gary Wright has been playing with some very high amp draw systems. I had Model Motors make me a version of their "Extreme" with a 3.84 gb instead of the normally supplied 6:1, but we're still only looking at 13.5K at the prop. You might want to look at the Hacker B40 series.

For Sport Flying a Comp Fun fly plane, I like around 12 cells and the MaxCim "D" system, but the larger prop size affects loop diameter and therefore longer loop times, it wouldn't be competetive.

For competition, I think the ideal combo would be about 100A and 6 - 8 cells. That way you could keep the overall weight down. Run time needs to be around 60 seconds max, with the JLS Combo requiring around 40 sec to complete, you probably get away with 50 seconds.

We're looking for some competitive E powered planes for the E Cubed R/C Challenge. More info at
http://www.ncffafunfly.org/

Azarr
www.ecubedrc.com
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr