SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 12, 2009, 09:39 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,658 Posts
Yup, where are those seaplanes???? Ken and I flew three Seabb's this morning (not all at the same time, of course)

Also, saw latest Star Trek movie last fri. How about the spock ship with rotating "part" (what would you call it????)
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old May 13, 2009, 08:04 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Mike my friend, you suck!

I still have not had a chance to go see it!!!! GRRRRR!!!!

I had plans to take a long lunch on Friday and see it but ended up going on a sales call. Now this week i am swamped with work. Hopefully i can get out soon to see it. I can't wait!
SGTalon is offline Find More Posts by SGTalon
Old May 13, 2009, 08:18 AM
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Jul 2002
24,127 Posts
SGT, Yes !!! More Crazy Stuff!!!!!!!!
Think you'll be inspired by the new movie???
gpw is offline Find More Posts by gpw
Old May 13, 2009, 08:23 AM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Thanks for posting that list! It will help.

I have an extra Parkzone 450 motor and a bunch of 1800 and 2200 3c batteries. From what I've seen with people trying to get the cg correct I would think they would work and not be too much, what do you think?

I plan on starting the build this weekend (if Lowes got the re-stock, they only had 1 sheet last week and it was damaged).
CWHFSR is offline Find More Posts by CWHFSR
Old May 19, 2009, 06:48 PM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Well, I'm almost done with my SD. Used the 8x11 plans and printed them off on 50 pages of paper! I then used an exacto knife and cut them out to the circled X's (that took a while and sucked). After that I taped them all together and then onto some of the 1/4" blue board (could only find one that was 4' x 50' - yes fifty feet long - it was accordioned together).

Anywho, with a couple layers stacked up I cut the shapes out with an exacto knife and had my parts! Just a side note: There weren't any rectangles for the verticle pieces holding the two stop-sign like things together. They were 4.5 x 8.5.

I'm still not sure how to put the ailerons on... and I'm going to have to cut out a bit more for the motor... but almost done. I'll post pictures if it is still together after the maiden
Old May 19, 2009, 08:21 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
That is how i get my foam too. Just think for $30 you can build 25-50 planes!

Can't beat the price.

For the ailerons i use an alternating tape hinge.

Take 1/2" or so filament tape and cut it into 1" or so lengths. Then take 2 pieces and put them face to face with a 1/4" overlap so you have 3/4" of sticky, 1/4" of not then 3/4" sticky on the opposite side.

Then make 6 of those per control surface and stick them on in an alternating pattern. One up, one down. When you are done you have a very strong hinge with NO binding. Perfect for the small 9g servos that are $3 at unitedhobbies
Old May 20, 2009, 09:44 AM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,658 Posts
SGT: How can you say I suck????? Just because life gets in the way of foamie fun???? (actually, I almost saw it a second time with my wife, but at last minute saw the Wolvie origin movie instead)

My question remains where are the seaplanes??? the pond awaits!

On a more serious note, after your patient instruction, I have been using the alternating tape hinges on all my planes and agree they work better than anything I'd tried before! Solid, and none have come loose (compared in particular to the layer on each side and attempting to get them to stick together in hinge )

cwhfsr: You found the fanfold! Great stuff isn't it?
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:04 PM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Well, I finally got mine all together. I'm concerned that it will not fly because of not enough power. I'm using a 3s 2200 battery and an E-flight 450 and it just doesn't seem to have the push needed. I am going to try and fly tomorrow and see how well it does... sure won't have any vertical climb!

Edit: I don't know how much it weighs all up... I don't have an OZ scale. Guess if it doesn't fly I will need to go to wally world and buy a fish scale.
Old Jun 05, 2009, 08:31 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Don't get a fish scale!

You can buy postage scales on ebay for about $5!!!

All you need is a 2 lb or so scale and you are set. 99% of foamies are under 2 lbs and i think that most of the scales are more like 5 lb anyways.

As to the weight thing, that battery seems pretty heavy but this thing has a LOT of wing area. You may not have a ton of vertical but you don't really need it with this guy.

Where are the pics??
Old Jun 05, 2009, 10:58 PM
USA, AL, Mobile
Joined Dec 2004
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWHFSR
Well, I finally got mine all together. I'm concerned that it will not fly because of not enough power. I'm using a 3s 2200 battery and an E-flight 450 and it just doesn't seem to have the push needed. I am going to try and fly tomorrow and see how well it does... sure won't have any vertical climb!

Edit: I don't know how much it weighs all up... I don't have an OZ scale. Guess if it doesn't fly I will need to go to wally world and buy a fish scale.
I ended up going with a lower kv motor spinning a bigger prop, it flies much better than it did in the beginning.It just needed the prop slot cut larger and a little re-inforcement on the bottom edge of fuselage.
nstaller is offline Find More Posts by nstaller
Old Jun 05, 2009, 11:50 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
That looks great CH!

Did you check your CG? Make sure it is in the right place or a little forward and you should be ok.

I like your solution to the weak vertical where the bridge is. I think i may have to incorporate that in the plans!
Old Jun 06, 2009, 09:42 AM
Joined Feb 2009
135 Posts
Well, I had the CG balanced where I thought it should be (at the very front of where the 2 extra horizontal sections are-about 25" or so from the front of the plane). That CG didn't work well at all... It kept on trying to tail drag and I ended up landing it tail first that bent the foam on the left rear of the plane.

I moved the battery about 4" forward to try and get the CG better. Unfortunately I think the prior crash made the ailerons stop working quite right. 1) The CG still wasn't right and will need to be moved even farther forward and 2) I couldn't control the plane very well (but did have about a 3 minute flight). At then end I was trying to turn it around to land and I turned too quick and stalled... ended up doing a nose dive and it ended up like a lawn dart.

Well, the front is pretty much history and will all need to be cut off and replaced. I guess the good part of that is it will add weight to help balance it out. I'm not sure what to do about the rear part yet... maybe some carbon fiber rods to help out... that or cut off the small extra section still attached to the plane and make a new aileron that goes the entire distance (I just thought of that and think that is what I will do!).
Old Jun 07, 2009, 06:56 PM
Lenox, Michigan
Joined Nov 2005
3,144 Posts
Yeah you need to move the CG way forward. I had to put my battery about 3 or 4" from the nose. The CG should be around 25" from the nose.

Keep at it though!
Old Jun 08, 2009, 05:19 AM
If it flys,I can crash it
USA, AL, Fairhope
Joined Jul 2007
783 Posts
Here is version two of my SD. We moved the motor forward as well as redid the upper tower a bit. Also added a bit bigger motor,

First few seconds of the flight are of the maiden. It flew with the control rods un-attached. ( I forgot to put in the screws in the servos and the rods fell off in flight ) Still, The CG was spot on and she flew more or less straight until I cut power and she fell off to the right. Crash damage was a bit to the nose which a cordless hot glue gun had repaired in just a few min's.

2nd flight was outstanding. this version is far more stable than my last one.

SD MK II (3 min 15 sec)
cptdragn is offline Find More Posts by cptdragn