SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:40 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Where do you get your batteries? And recommendations....

I'm trying to see what people use in their arthobby gliders, and where they get their batteries....I've looked a nimber of different places, and no luck.
The instructions recommend a 150 mah, 4.8v battery. Is that what most of you use in them, and where is a good place to get them?
Also, what kind of receiver is best?? I am thinking of a GWS Naro which has a 1000 foot range. Is that a good range for a receiver for a HL Glider, or should I be looking for a little bigger range. I was going to use a GWS Pico, but the range is only 500 feet, and I didn't think that'd be enough. What does everyone think? Thanks in advance!!!
AUBrian is offline Find More Posts by AUBrian
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2003, 12:57 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
I have gotten my DLG very, very high on many flights. I wouldn't use anything less that a full range receiver. I really like the FMA Extreme5 and M5. both are very light and small. They will also run on 1 (one) li-ion or li-poly cell. I use a single Qualcomm 830mah cell and fly all afternoon with no concerns about running out of juice. The projected run time is more than 5 hours. I use a cell phone charger.

Best,
Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 28, 2003, 04:30 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Please forgive my stupidity, but where does everyone get the qualcomm cells/packs? I've looked a few different places, and I can find different cells that look possible....I just don't know which are which or where....
Old Jan 28, 2003, 05:53 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
and again, the reason I seem to be having problems is that I need something that will fit in a colibri cockpit, and leave a little room for servos...all this is rather new to me, and I'm sorry if I'm being a pain about it.....I went to a local place and found a battery that may work, it's a li-ion 900 mah, about 3.7 volts (I think) and pretty small size, but it's about $50 for one battery, and I don't know if I want it that badly.....
Old Jan 28, 2003, 11:32 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
The Qualcomms are surplus batteries. The original source has dried up. Frequently, people still sell small quantities on Ezone. You only need one. They are not expensive. they are 17mm in diameter and 50mm long. 25g in weight. All li-ion and li-poly cells are 3.7V nominal.

Q
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:15 PM
Fort Wayne, IN
Joined May 2002
1,694 Posts
I have not used them but have heard good things about this source for poly's.

Bishop Power Products

http://www.b-p-p.com/index.html
jrgospod is offline Find More Posts by jrgospod
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:35 PM
Joined Jul 2001
2,836 Posts
The li-poly cells are good too. I could not get any (with any run-time advantage) to fit in my DLG because they were too wide.

Q
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 30, 2003, 12:39 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Quacker...that's been my problem so far. With such a small area to fit a battery in, many of these li-poly cells are the wrong shape/size...just too wide to fit in no matter how I turn the darn things....
Old Feb 01, 2003, 08:34 PM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
AUBRIAN

Hey Brian,
I am just over in Nashville. I have had good results with Batteries America. They are in all of the magazines and on the web. I have also used Batteries Plus locally. They have a tack welder and will make up any configuration you wish; even if they do not supply the batteries. I would recommend 350NiMH in the 1/3 A size. I used one cell in front and 3 in a triangle behind the first.

Wayne in Nashville

PS Where do you fly in Chattanooga?
LWThompson is offline Find More Posts by LWThompson
Old Feb 02, 2003, 04:21 PM
West Boylston, MA
Joined Feb 2003
1,093 Posts
Re: Where do you get your batteries? And recommendations....

Check out Radical RC Receiver Packs at RadicalRC.com. They have 1.05 oz. 300mAh NiMH packs for very little money and shipping is always $2. A friend has used them and was very satisfied. The pack measured 320mAh, if I recall.
marctrudeau is offline Find More Posts by marctrudeau
Old Feb 05, 2003, 03:57 PM
Petoskey, Michigan 49770
Joined Aug 2001
66 Posts
Bobolink

You should check out the Li-Poly 145 MAh at FMA Direct. I put a picture of two of them in the nose of my Bobolink in the thread Question about building Art Hobby Gliders in this forum. They weigh just 7 gms for two and fit fine.
MikeBanyai is offline Find More Posts by MikeBanyai
Old Feb 06, 2003, 07:26 PM
Zen Flying Master
Sweetwater, TN
Joined Sep 2002
829 Posts
Hey Wayne,

Sorry it's taken me a little while to respond...a lot has been going on lately. I haven't even done anything to my glider so far except take it out of the box and admire As for where I fly around here, there's a bunch of local soccer fields at a place called Redoubt...I used to play soccer there, and it's really nice, esp now when there's no one out there....come spring/summer, I can maybe get one field to myself sometimes. There's a local club that flies at Camp Jordan, but they don't like anyone else flying there usually if you aren't a member, even though it's a public field.and I wish more than anything I could fly out at the military park, Chicamauga...I was out there last Sunday hiking and there are some tremendously huge fields....I guess the key would be just don't get caught.....twice....

As for the batteries, here's what I've done so far. I had to get some othe things from radical RC, so I added on a few different little battery packs to see what I can do....I'll use them for something...I also got a single medium li-poly cell that from the dimensions, just might do the trick....I'm gonna see what happens. I was an idiot, cause I ordered from FMA and forgot to add on some of the smaller Li-poly's...but I'm still unsure about charging....the only charger I have so far is a converted cell phone charger, and from what I understand it should be okay for any 2 cell pack??? is that correct?? Or is it just for packs of that size?!?!? And I checked the local batteries plus again, and sure enough, the ones I saw tha tI liked that were much cheaper were li-ion....I still don't exactly understand the difference but everyone seems to swear by the li-poly's, so I'm trying to go that way too....Now I just need a charger to do 1, 2, and 3 cells probably. I'll try to keep everyone updated, though. All my equipment should be arriving soon.....
Old Feb 17, 2003, 12:19 PM
nw ohio
Joined Jan 2002
491 Posts
i bought two of radical r/cs batts at the toledo show. they are the 4.8v 50 mah packs. i got mine for ten buck with the connector installed. they are having a 50 mah NiCad Clearance right now. heres the link. http://radicalrc.secure-mall.com/sho...=62&cart=23096
easy2fly is offline Find More Posts by easy2fly
Old Mar 08, 2003, 12:41 AM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Battery options

I have a friend that just put a 2/3 AAA pack in his Hyper 3. The pod is the same as the DL. I went out and looked and there is a NiMH AAA pack rated for 720mA. I found this one at Batteries America.

On the Li-Poly, let us know how you come out. Can they be slightly curved to fit or must they stay flat?

Wayne
Old Mar 08, 2003, 12:48 AM
Nashville, TN USA
Joined Jun 2002
1,003 Posts
Li-Poly Charger found

Hey AUBrian,
Is this what you are after? It is at hobby-lobby and costs $26.00. It runs on 12VDC and not AC. See picture.