HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:06 PM
Flying since Dec '07
Joined Nov 2007
162 Posts
Discussion
charging time for Mystery 7.4V 900mAh 15C Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery

just bout 2 Mystery 7.4V 900mAh 15C Lithium Polymer Rechargeable Battery.

how long do i charge them for? with this charger:
http://www.act-labs.com/scripts/proddetails.asp?Pid=991
hockmasm is offline Find More Posts by hockmasm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:09 PM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
With a fully discharged battery, it will take a little over an hour. But because you never discharge a li-po completely, I'd say 45 min- 55min. It will tell you when its done.
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:09 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
that charger will tell you when it's done charging. Usually for the 900mah it's about an hour or maybe a little less.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:14 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
It looks like it has a red light that goes on when the charge is done, so the easy answer is "until the red light turns on".

If you want to figure it out, divide the pack capacity (900 mAh) by the charge current (0.8 A or 800 mA) so you get about 900/800 hour, or a little over an hour. But it probably has a trickle charge mode that kicks in at some point in the process, so will probably be longer. Larger packs will take longer because it has a constant charge rate, and you should not charge any packs smaller than 800 mAh on it for the same reason.

If you're going to stick with LiPo packs for any length of time, I would recommend a good balancing charger such as a CellPro 4s. The 4 amp version will charge packs upto about 4000 mAh to 90% in under an hour, and will take an extra 10 to 20 minutes to balance the packs as it heads toward 100%. Plus it's a very safe charger; if the pack can not be charged to 100% it stops.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jul 01, 2008, 05:50 PM
innocent victim
Houston TX
Joined May 2007
6,034 Posts
the only problem I have with the cellpro (and all the high end chargers might be this way) but you have to buy the charger $80 and then the lipo balance plug adapter to fit it, and then buy or find a power supply to run the cell pro.
Blade_Killer is offline Find More Posts by Blade_Killer
Old Jul 01, 2008, 08:19 PM
Flying since Dec '07
Joined Nov 2007
162 Posts
with the chargger i mentioned. do i have to monitor it until it turns red? or if i leave it on the charger it will eventually burn the housse down?
hockmasm is offline Find More Posts by hockmasm
Old Jul 01, 2008, 08:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockmasm
with the chargger i mentioned. do i have to monitor it until it turns red? or if i leave it on the charger it will eventually burn the housse down?
The charger will slowly reduce the charge rate and then stop when the battery is done but you should NEVER leave the lipo unattended. If you cant be there or dont have time to monitor it, then dont try and charge it.
I would not trust any charger to just shut off and leave them on the charger (although this is what good chargers do)......I just wouldnt do it myself just in case.
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:04 PM
RC Addict
Falls Church, VA
Joined Jul 2006
2,259 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blade_Killer
the only problem I have with the cellpro (and all the high end chargers might be this way) but you have to buy the charger $80 and then the lipo balance plug adapter to fit it, and then buy or find a power supply to run the cell pro.
Yeah, it's not the cheapest solution, it just works well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockmasm
Well, they say never to leave your charger unattended, although I'm so confident in my CellPro that I've left it unattended many times, even overnight, with zero problems. It just stops charging and that's it. I haven't used the Esky charger, so I can't really say anything about it.
anatoly is online now Find More Posts by anatoly
Old Jul 01, 2008, 09:14 PM
Closed Account
Joined Dec 2007
6,549 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by anatoly
Yeah, it's not the cheapest solution, it just works well.

Well, they say never to leave your charger unattended, although I'm so confident in my CellPro that I've left it unattended many times, even overnight, with zero problems. It just stops charging and that's it. I haven't used the Esky charger, so I can't really say anything about it.
My DN charger shuts off just like it should, but If im in another room and hear the finish alarm go off, I will sit and think about it until it drives me crazy
Maybe its just the OCD, but I HAVE to get up and go unplug the batts when they are done. I live in a high rise condo so all I can think about are the 380 other people looking at me for burning their house down too
Xrayted is offline Find More Posts by Xrayted