HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BD Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:16 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Its not that bad.Wing & fuse. are fixable. ...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:21 PM
Real Time Recon
smith mt. lake VA.
Joined Jan 2007
8,285 Posts
Thats a E-flite 480 correct ? If so,& the shaft is bent,it can easily be replaced...RTR
realtimerecon is offline Find More Posts by realtimerecon
Old Nov 07, 2008, 06:56 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I'm using a Walkera brushless inrunner which is installed in the stock Super Cub's gearbox.

So the shaft that bent was the gearbox's shaft. So that's even better news, because that's an easy and cheap fix.

All in all, the only major damages were the battery and receiver. The wing broke cleanly, so I can just glue that back together. Or I can finish up the aileron wing I was building for the future and use that.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:33 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Bill all you have to do is re solder the antenna back on. I can't tell you how many times I've re soldered my antennas on my AR6100's. It might have less range, but its still fine . Then again I'm sure horizon would help you out of you sent it in. Sorry for the bad luck buddy .
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks for the info Mike. I'll just solder the antenna back on then.

I'm still not sure how the LiPo managed to get crushed, but the prop did not break though.
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:42 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
How well was it secured? Did you have any plastic/hard items infront of the battery? SOunds like it flew forward from the impact. Next time stuff some foam in front of the battery in the compartment .
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Nov 07, 2008, 07:55 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
It was secured pretty good. But the front of the battery leans into the plastic landing gear mount.

So that is what crushed it. But yeah... next time there WILL be foam (or some other soft material) in front of the battery.
Old Nov 08, 2008, 12:08 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
BD Flyer,

I very sorry to learn of your misfortune and mishap

I did it from 80 feet up when I did not take notice that I was overheating my Thunderbird 18 AMP with that Fire Breathing AON Brushless inrunner. On the third Shut Down I completely lost BEC as it overheated and the receiver shut down. The model came nose first and the entire FUSE was in several pieces and the only thing holding it together was the rubber bands!!!

It took me about four nights off and on using WHITE glue and tape to put her back together again and aligned.

Thank goodness for FOAM!

Better luck next time!

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jan 23, 2009, 08:08 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Update.

I've decided to tame this beast, and I am putting it back in it's stock form.

But don't panick yet! The Walkera Inrunner and CC Thunderbird 36 ESC are going into my brand new Stryker that I got for Christmas.

So stay tuned for that...

Meanwhile my SC is getting re-built from it's little mishap a couple months ago. The new setup will be the stock brushed motor, GWS 10x6DD prop, 1500mAh LiPo, Castle Creations Pixie 20P ESC, and a Spektrum AR6100e receiver. I also plan on adding ailerons to it before springtime comes.
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:27 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
I've decided to tame this beast, and I am putting it back in it's stock form.

But don't panick yet! The Walkera Inrunner and CC Thunderbird 36 ESC are going into my brand new Stryker that I got for Christmas.

So stay tuned for that...

Meanwhile my SC is getting re-built from it's little mishap a couple months ago. The new setup will be the stock brushed motor, GWS 10x6DD prop, 1500mAh LiPo, Castle Creations Pixie 20P ESC, and a Spektrum AR6100e receiver. I also plan on adding ailerons to it before springtime comes.
That's all the supercub really needs anyway.

A Li-Po and 10X6 prop... and better electronics.. and she's a completely new plane!

But i'm going to try out that Walkera 380 inrunner because you got me so darn excited throughout this entire build thread, lol.

I also have a 40A ESC that needs a home, so they should work quite well together.

I'll be sure to keep you posted when I get things situated.

Fun and safe flying
Tim ~ (TheDustyPagan)
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Mar 23, 2009, 06:43 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDustyPagan
That's all the supercub really needs anyway.

A Li-Po and 10X6 prop... and better electronics.. and she's a completely new plane!

But i'm going to try out that Walkera 380 inrunner because you got me so darn excited throughout this entire build thread, lol.

I also have a 40A ESC that needs a home, so they should work quite well together.

I'll be sure to keep you posted when I get things situated.

Fun and safe flying
Tim ~ (TheDustyPagan)
Glad you're trying out the walkera motor Tim. I know it'll fly good because mine WAS flying good until it nosed in.

And I know that it will have an enormous amount of power too.

But yeah, keep us posted. And don't forget to take a vid when you maiden it.

Bill
Old Mar 24, 2009, 11:05 AM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Will do, Bill
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan