HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BD Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:13 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Mounting the 2100mAh LiPo battery

Well, my last battery mount did not work well (CG was off), so I recently came up with a new idea. And the CG is just right with this mount.

Here are some pics:
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 16, 2008, 01:39 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
It's too bad that you removed the Plastic Battery cage

As you recall, I place my generic 3-Cell, 2200mAH, 20C, Li-POLY butt up against the Frontal Bulk Head of the wind shield "or" right behind the wind shield and it balances out perfect.

A combination of the wing assembly, Plastic Battery cage and the Foam bulk head secures the battery from moving while in flight (I install the Battery vertically) and this method has worked for me and Gerry with no issues.

Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Aug 16, 2008, 03:52 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
My latest Flight Report from yesterday early evening using the AON T2815-3002 Brushless Inrunner!

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...9&postcount=84
Old Aug 17, 2008, 09:08 PM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
BDFlyer-
Sorry to come off a little anxious, but after wanting to upgrade my cubbie for a long time, I started following this thread with much interest. About a month ago I bit the bullet and just bought everything that you listed in post #1!!

Maybe foolish but nothing ventured, nothing gained

I waited a long time to start the installs, and so now I just have the motor in the stock gearbox and servos installed as well. Luckily I didn't start the mods on the replacement batterybox I have here...when I do, what is the optimal COG measurement from the wing leading edge? I am being as cautious as my adrenaline will let me
tfletche is offline Find More Posts by tfletche
Old Aug 17, 2008, 10:39 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfletche
BDFlyer-
Sorry to come off a little anxious, but after wanting to upgrade my cubbie for a long time, I started following this thread with much interest. About a month ago I bit the bullet and just bought everything that you listed in post #1!!

Maybe foolish but nothing ventured, nothing gained

I waited a long time to start the installs, and so now I just have the motor in the stock gearbox and servos installed as well. Luckily I didn't start the mods on the replacement batterybox I have here...when I do, what is the optimal COG measurement from the wing leading edge? I am being as cautious as my adrenaline will let me
Sorry for taking so long to complete/maiden this plane...

Where did you get the replacement battery box? I might need to buy another one if my homemade mount doesn't work.

And the CG for the Super Cub is 2'' - 2.25'' from the leading edge. I think mine is at around 2.15'' right now.....
Old Aug 18, 2008, 07:32 PM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
I actually bought a replacement fuse-only (no electronics) from here
http://secure.hobbyzone.com/catalog/...s/HBZ7185.html

i had previously broken the tail off, damaged the rear wing mounting lip, and taken chunks out of the fuse (learning plane!) so it was a good choice
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:43 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Bill,

Good luck on your Maiden flight this weekend!
Old Aug 28, 2008, 11:21 AM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks Carlos.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 01:50 PM
Lovin' this florida weather!
I get around!
Joined Oct 2006
1,886 Posts
Good luck on your maiden!!

Patience is always a good thing. There's nothing wrong with taking your time, and doing it right.. the FIRST time.
TheDustyPagan is offline Find More Posts by TheDustyPagan
Old Aug 28, 2008, 04:04 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Thanks Tim....

Will let you all know how it goes.
Old Aug 28, 2008, 08:45 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Let 'er rip!
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
Old Aug 30, 2008, 04:33 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I'm going to run up to office max and pick up some rubber bands (for the Super Cub's wing), and i'll try to get a flight in before the sun goes down. If I don't make it to the field in time, there is always tomorrow morning.
Old Aug 31, 2008, 02:59 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I got the rubber bands, but did not make it to the field last night. So I woke up real early this morning to try again, but it was a little gusty out. So I decided not to chance it. But my Super Cub is 100% ready to go.

The maiden should happen any minute now....
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:17 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
I got the rubber bands, but did not make it to the field last night. So I woke up real early this morning to try again, but it was a little gusty out. So I decided not to chance it. But my Super Cub is 100% ready to go.

The maiden should happen any minute now....

I am on Pins and Needles!

Again, don't forget to throttle back some!
Old Aug 31, 2008, 04:28 PM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
My Maiden and thoughts:

I am on travel so don't have any pics or vid to contribute, but I maidened her the other day. She's set up with all the same parts mentioned in the 1st post, and I mounted the 3s 2100 lipo in the upright configuration, as close to the inner front firewall as possible (basically closest to the windshield). I also mounted the ESC with velcro on that front wall, too.

She has massive power! it sounds like many angry, metallic bee-robots are banging around in there. She flew pretty well, if not a little anemic - though that was prolly due to my fear of flooring it. I also noticed that it was a little tail-heavy in the air, although I had the COG at about 1.5" back from the wing's leading edge. Also, I noticed that if I really goosed the throttle, it would twist the plane as if I had ailerons and was using them to turn left!

Another thing I noticed is that at the first throttle click, nothing happens; but starting with the second, it's pretty strongly going. (I am using a Futaba 4YF) So I thought landings were going to be a little hairy but I didn't end up having too much trouble.

So, (of course) after a safe landing, I started taxiing around and decided to see what would happen if I tried to floor it and "jump" it into the air. There was a very brief moment of high rotation, and then the prop pretty much slowed and the motor revved really high (I understand it does something like 33,000 rpm with no load?!)

Anyways it goes back to my stupidity...as usual When I mounted the motor, there's a little final lip inside the motor mount that is smaller in inner diameter. So when I pushed the motor in fully, it was really firmly wedged in, to the point that I couldn't rotate it to line up the screw holes for fear of misshaping the motor housing. Well, either the rotational stress or the crazy vibraitions caused the motor mount to split right down the middle, and the motor just slipped back out far enough to disengage the gearbox.

The good news is now that I can rotate the motor within the mount, I have employed the screws to hold the motor back in place. The split in the motor mount isn't closed, but I think the screws will do the trick next time. <fingers crossed>

I flew for about 10 minutes at 1/4 - 1/3 throttle. The battery was not even warm, but the ESC was a little hard to keep a finger on without pain. I have since drilled a 3/8" hole through the windshield to allow airflow into the engine compartment. Not sure if that will help at all, but until I get pics posted, imagine taking the ACT sensor out and just continuing that hole back. I then also glued a little bit of 2-liter-bottle plastic over the hole to act as a little flange or funnel and direct air into there. I have not flown since to see whether this helps or hurts the flight or temperature issues. Also, when I charged the lipo back home, it was done in just a few minutes so I think I may have some really long-lasting flying time waiting for me!

Sorry for the long post but I figure more info = better for everyone. The next trial will be with my floats on, which was always just at the edge of stalling with stock motor/batt/esc.

After I get all the kinks worked out I will try somebody's aileron mod, too. That extra channel on my TX is just staring at me

Tad