HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by BD Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 25, 2008, 09:03 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
No flight today... just more testing.

Sorry, no flight today. It was too windy.

But I did get to test it out with my watt meter today... and the results were actually scary! I cannot even give this plane full power or else I am afraid something will break even though it is just sitting on the ground!

This thing has some POWER! I was slowly pushing up the throttle, and I looked down at my watt meter... and I was at 150 watts. And it was still climbing FAST. But I had to let off on the throttle because it sounded the darn thing was going to explode!

Also, the ESC and motor were getting warm. But I guess that is normal when you're testing a plane on the ground when it is not moving, right? Anyway, I am going to wake up nice and early tomorrow, and if the wind is calm, i'm going go up to the field to maiden this monster Cub. Wish me luck...

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:05 AM
Minnesota
Joined Jan 2003
15 Posts
Best of luck to you..sounds like your plane will have some amazing flight results (In a good way I mean)

Our local RC park is usually very heavily congested where a pilot can wait for a couple 2-3 hours before getting on the runway so I bought me one of these HZ Super Cubs for some park flying. All I can say is WOW, what a great little plane. After the first flight I decided to try the twin 9.6v battery mod. Only took me about 30 minutes to finish it so I waited for my batteries to charge up and took it out again. Very nice increase in climb and had a timed flight of just over 27 minutes. The weight change had a minimal effect on performance (about 60-65% throttle for casual flying) but the increase of flight time was well worth it. Landing is a tad more sensitive but a little elevator control at the end made it land nicely (with added 2.5" wheels)

Been reading about mods like you are doing and am very interested to hear how it performs. Will probably do something similar to mine in the near future
LegionX is offline Find More Posts by LegionX
Last edited by LegionX; Jul 26, 2008 at 03:13 AM.
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:51 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Darn, no flight again today. It was too windy.

HOPEFULLY i'll get this plane in the air tomorrow. I do have one question though, is it okay to mount the ESC outside of the plane (underneath)? The wires are too short to mount the ESC inside of the plane (will fix that once I see if this plane flies good), so the only possible way of mounting it would be on the bottom of the plane.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:58 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
Darn, no flight again today. It was too windy.

HOPEFULLY i'll get this plane in the air tomorrow. I do have one question though, is it okay to mount the ESC outside of the plane (underneath)? The wires are too short to mount the ESC inside of the plane (will fix that once I see if this plane flies good), so the only possible way of mounting it would be on the bottom of the plane.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill,

As a matter of fact, that ESC would Love you for it!! Yes, mount that ESC underneath and let it get all the air flow!!
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jul 26, 2008, 04:22 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guapoman2000
Bill,

As a matter of fact, that ESC would Love you for it!! Yes, mount that ESC underneath and let it get all the air flow!!
Hahaha...

Thanks Carlos!
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Well i'm still waiting for a calm day to maiden my Super Cub. Tomorrow looks like great according to usairnet (LINK), so maybe i'll finally get a chance to go to the field for the maiden.

Anyway, I think I might have a problem though. Is is normal for an ESC to get warm after the plane is on for about 30 seconds? I bench tested my SC today, and made sure the servos were working, and gave it around 1/4 throttle. I did that for 30 seconds before unplugging the battery. Then I felt the ESC and it was a bit warm. Is that normal? I'm using a CC T-bird 36.

Thanks,

Bill
Old Jul 29, 2008, 10:33 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Static testing on the Ground will certainly make all parts of the Power System to heat up. My Maiden flight would concentrate on thermal effects and I would land within 4 minute flight and check out all components.

Have you measured the AMP draw?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 01:09 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Yeah, i'll probably set my timer for around 3 minutes for the maiden (hope the flight lasts that long ) and then bring it down to check if everything is okay. I actually forgot to check the amp draw, so I will do that now. I think this power system is pulling more than 25 amps though...
Old Aug 14, 2008, 10:04 PM
Joined Apr 2008
4 Posts
???

Okey Dokey Lets Get A Freaking Update Here
tfletche is offline Find More Posts by tfletche
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:27 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Sorry guys, I haven't had anytime to fly. But I will maiden my Super Cub soon... I promise.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:31 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfletche
Okey Dokey Lets Get A Freaking Update Here
Calm down. Bill is a busy man, making WAA history and whatnot .
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:41 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Disaster
Calm down. Bill is a busy man, making WAA history and whatnot .
Haha... yeah, I never would've thought that picture of me shaking hands with Ron (the pilot after me) might become popular (as in being in a magazine probably). Anyway It looks like you'll be getting the Squirt soon. I think about 4 people are going to meet up this weekend to fly it.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:43 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Yup. I was wishing it would take longer, so I could be the one to bring it to NEAT lol. But I gues I'll just get to fly it twice. (once at my local field and hopefully once at NEAT) How'd she fly?
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Aug 15, 2008, 12:52 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
It was a little windy out (maybe 10 mph), so I didn't get to fly her long. Maybe 30 seconds. I didn't really get to enjoy the flight because I was constantly giving the Squirt rudder and elevator input to flight the wind. But I got her down in one piece, so I was pretty happy about that.
Old Aug 15, 2008, 09:33 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
BD Flyer,

Like my buddy Gerry always say.......

NO WINE BEFORE IT'S TIME!!!

You take it easy and wait for that ideal conditions so, you can evaluate the power system.

Carlos