SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by BD Flyer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:26 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Build Log
Upgrading my HobbyZone Super Cub

After flying my Super Cub completely stock for 6 months, I have finally decided to upgrade it. So about a week ago, I began ordering some ''super charged guts'' for it. The motor that I decided to go with was the Walkera 380M Brushless Inrunner. It had the same dimensions as the stock motor, so that meant that I could just bolt it onto the stock Super Cub gearbox without messing with the firewall and making a new custom motor mount. I received the motor a couple days ago, and it was indeed a very easy swap with the stock brushed 480 motor (for more info on the motor installation, please see this post). But don't be fooled... this Walkera brushless inrunner has 5+ times the amount of power than the stock 480 brushed! The setup I am planning on doing will give my Super Cub around 300 watts of power at 25 amps. That setup includes the following:

Motor - The Walkera 380M Brushless Inrunner

ESC - Castle Creations Thunderbird 36

Servos - TowerPro SG-90's

Radio - Spektrum DX7

Receiver - Spektrum AR6100

Battery - Impulse 3s 2100mAh 16C LiPo

Propeller - GWS 10x6 DD

I am also planning on adding ailerons and giving my upgraded Super Cub a nice covering scheme... but that's for later on in this thread.

So... here's some pictures of the new motor mounted on my Super Cub.
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Last edited by BD Flyer; Jul 15, 2008 at 06:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:06 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Yeah!

We are watching

If your AMP draw is within the safe range, I would try the STOCK HOBBY ZONE 10 X 8 propeller

"Or"

the E-Flite 10 X 8.
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:20 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
No pressure... right Carlos?

I'll probably experiment with a couple different props so I can try to find the ''perfect setup''. Right now I am waiting for my Castle Creations ESC to come (which should be tomorrow), and I still have to order the LiPo battery. I'm shooting for next Sunday (depending on if I receive the LiPo battery by then) for a maiden flight in three channel form with the ''super charged guts''. Then I will set a goal the following weekend for a second maiden with the Cub's new covering scheme and wing with ailerons.
Old Jul 02, 2008, 10:56 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
I just got done installing the two TowerPro SG-90 servos into the fuselage. They fit in snugly with two sided heavy duty tape. Now I am just waiting for the 2200mAh 20C LiPo I ordered from eBay, and some female bullet connectors for the ESC. I will update once I receive them.
Old Jul 03, 2008, 05:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Here is a pic of the installed servos. They fit in there perfectly....
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:34 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Your gonna tear the wings off!
Crazy Eight is offline Find More Posts by Crazy Eight
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:45 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Eight
Your gonna tear the wings off!

Well, you are the one who sold me that Walkera inrunner. So if the wings do tear off... it'll be your fault.

Just kidding.... thanks for the motor though... it'll be put to good use.

P.S. After the maiden flight (full throttle will NOT be used), I am going to reinforce the wings with carbon fiber.
So that should help the wings not to tear off.
Old Jul 05, 2008, 08:56 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Did you do something with the way the firewall is attached to the foam fuselage,to keep it from coming off?
Old Jul 05, 2008, 10:29 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Guys,

I have flown my #2 Super Cub with the AON T2815-3002 Brushless inrunner and using the STOCK gearbox which is as close as the Walkera M380 inrunner and I can tell you that I did NOT do anything to the wing assembly nor the STOCK Firewall on my Cub.

I do take complete control over the use of High Throttle, especially at and slightly above 1/2 throttle. At a two clicks above 1/2 Throttle the model hovers and can perform very good 3D, of course with ailerons.

I believe you can stress this Z-Foam airframe even with the STOCK power system if you command it to do dives and hard UP Elevator recovery.

With this Brushless Inrunner power, I would be careful to perform gentle loops and don't gun the throttle when performing Outside loops as this places high loads on the wing root sections due to the inward pressure and the struts will not hold the wing because the struts are not solid.

Happy landings
Carlos
Old Jul 05, 2008, 11:15 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Did you do something with the way the firewall is attached to the foam fuselage,to keep it from coming off?
No... but like Carlos said, I do not plan on giving this plane full throttle. At least not frequently. The HobbyZone Super Cub is made to be a trainer, and if I fly it like a stunt plane with my new power system, I do not think it will last too long....
Old Jul 06, 2008, 12:20 AM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BD Flyer
No... but like Carlos said, I do not plan on giving this plane full throttle. At least not frequently. The HobbyZone Super Cub is made to be a trainer, and if I fly it like a stunt plane with my new power system, I do not think it will last too long....
Of course I can verify that my #1 Super Cub with STOCK Brushed Power System can perform all kinds of stunts because it is completely covered with the ORACOL "Yellow" Film and this provides tremendous strength to the airframe!!

Hint.,...

Carlos
Old Jul 06, 2008, 02:36 PM
The "K"minator
Frostbite Falls,MN
Joined Sep 2006
2,223 Posts
Where will the 2200 battery pack be mounted?
Old Jul 06, 2008, 04:23 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Where will the 2200 battery pack be mounted?
I'm going to modify the stock battery box to accept the 2200mAh LiPo. And it will most likely be mounted with velcro.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 04:02 PM
Practice Makes Precision
United States, MO, Knob Noster
Joined Jun 2006
3,531 Posts
Looks good Bill. Now it can be a real Super Cub .
TDisaster is offline Find More Posts by TDisaster
Old Jul 07, 2008, 04:28 PM
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Disaster
Looks good Bill. Now it can be a real Super Cub .
Thanks Mike.

It might fly scale at around 1/2 throttle, but after that, it's just gonna want to go straight up.

It might even hover after I flatten the wing and add ailerons...