Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:08 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
Poll
**PETITION** Aftermarket tx with Walkera rx

I'm sure everyone who flys Walkera heli's have asked themselves this question at one time or another:

"Why cant I use my own tx with this heli?"

lets create a petition to Walkera to have them make some sort of adapter, or even a rx version without the dummy channels. I would pay for it. I bet LOTS of folks would pay for it.

I have created this petition style post for "signatures" for this type of product/feature to be added. Of course we would still be using their products, but just want to have the option of using our own tx to fly this brand.

There are enough Walkera vendors here that could pass the petition, and info to Walkera.

You'd think they'd want to play nicely with other brand tx's like many other heli manufacturers do.

Let's all chime in with our vote to have this feature. Hopefully if we get enough, we can make some headway with Walkera.

Also admins, do you think we could make this a sticky for a little while?
nexgen is offline Find More Posts by nexgen
Last edited by nexgen; Jun 30, 2008 at 02:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:24 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Walkera likely has no interest in changing now, in a year or less it will be cheaper for them to sell all helicopters as 2.4ghz which reduces the odds of using a different tx to pretty much zero.
TheSteve is offline Find More Posts by TheSteve
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:28 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
2.4 Ghs folks will want to use their own futaba or jr or spectrum tx in this case as well. Maybe I'm missing something on 2.4 ghz, can any tx bind to a Walkera 2.4 ghz rx? If not then this poll would apply.

Besides, there will still be lots of folks ( myself included, for now) that cant or wont go to 2.4 ghz for some time, and they would benefit from this type of feature without having to go full seperates.

Think of the weight involved with a regular FM seperates setup compared to a spectrum 2.4 setup.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:31 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexgen
"Why cant I use my own tx with this heli?"
Isn't this just a positive-shift vs negative-shift question? So either JR or Futaba will work, but not both? I dunno, never used a walkera radio, just wondering...

To answer your question: I'd assume that the RTF heli vendors (walkera, esky, horizon/eflite) all have back-scratching agreements with manufacturers in one camp or the other. Locking you into their "standard" is good for business.

2.4ghz is whole new level of lock-in, not as simple as the old positive/negative shift. The signal is encoded. It could even use encryption to ensure incompatibility.

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:42 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Walkera actually uses a slightly non-standard version of PPM. Positive or negative shift is an issue but on top of that they also require the transmitter have 11 channels of PPM. On a 4#3 or 5#6(4 channel) transmitter the first 4 channels are real, the other 7 are just dummy channels with narrow pulses. The receiver units won't arm unless they see all 11 channels with the correct pulse widths.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:56 PM
Inciting Riots
Joined Dec 2006
9,687 Posts
Those !
village_idiot is offline Find More Posts by village_idiot
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:01 PM
Put a Quark in it!
USA, MN, Brainerd
Joined Feb 2008
1,130 Posts
So that's why I want to see if Walkera will at least budge a little and make an adapter or upgrade of sorts to the rx so it can play nicely with other tx's. Or maybe someone can program something to introduce those dummy channels, and put it up for sale.(TheSteve? ).
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:42 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,055 Posts
I think it's a good idea but I would actually prefer Spektrum to make a DSM2 4-in-1 that could fit into any small heli like the 52.
mahbouni is offline Find More Posts by mahbouni
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:08 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Spektrum does make a DSM2 4in1, its just a little big for anything under 150 grams.
They are coming out with a 1S compatible unit for airplanes, I doubt there is demand for a helicopter version with a gyro though.

Walkera could just change the software in there 2.4ghz 4in1s and make it DSM2 compatible

Until then contacting Conny is our best shot. If I find some time I`ll consider it.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:45 PM
hover happy
over under
Joined Aug 2007
1,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
Walkera actually uses a slightly non-standard version of PPM. Positive or negative shift is an issue but on top of that they also require the transmitter have 11 channels of PPM. On a 4#3 or 5#6(4 channel) transmitter the first 4 channels are real, the other 7 are just dummy channels with narrow pulses. The receiver units won't arm unless they see all 11 channels with the correct pulse widths.
OMG, that's hilarious. So you can fly one of these cheap RTF helis if you have an expensive 12-channel radio with the correct shift?

-Jeff
spinup is offline Find More Posts by spinup
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:45 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,055 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSteve
Spektrum does make a DSM2 4in1
I knew about the 2-in-1 from the new BCP2 but I didn't know there is a 4-in-1. Do you have a link?
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:01 PM
UK
Joined Jul 2007
2,678 Posts
Walkera have always used there own specific radio setup - I cannot see them changing now - the nearest to a comprimise you are likely to get is once walkera have all there models inclusive of the 7 channels on 2.4Ghz then they will probably come out with a computerized 2.4 Ghz transmitter so you can use 1 transmitter for all your walkera models.

Regards David
Hellraser is offline Find More Posts by Hellraser
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:20 PM
VE7FM
Canada, BC, Langley
Joined Nov 2004
1,724 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinup
OMG, that's hilarious. So you can fly one of these cheap RTF helis if you have an expensive 12-channel radio with the correct shift?

-Jeff
You bet!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:24 PM
Heli Hooligan
London
Joined Dec 2006
6,055 Posts
Normally companies that use their own proprietary standards are ones that have some sort of edge over the competion, e.g. Sony or Apple. Walkera are amongst the worse manufacturer of Tx I can think of. Actually I can't think of anyone worse. Most people who hate Walkera hate them for the crap quality of their electronics. They would sell much more helicopters if they did a deal with a known brand of Tx. Even Hitec would be an option.

As for the other brands like Futaba, Spektrum, and JR, I can't understand why they haven't jumped all over this opportunity to supply these sort of products. There's much more money to be made in micro helicopters than big ones. They may cost only $99 ready to fly but the volume of sales is much higher and the typical customer is a new pilot who's gonna crash every day. Within 6 months he'll have bought enough spare parts to build the POS 5 times over.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:35 PM
Slowly Approaching 1,000
Detroit (area), MI
Joined Mar 2004
923 Posts
Looks like this turned into more of a discussion than a petition, good luck Nextgen.

BTW, I did vote (all for it) and think it should be capable. I would be much more likely to buy one then. As the programmers would say, "Open source baby!" As for the 2.4 stuff, currently Spectrum will only bind with Spectrum, Fut with Fut, etc. if I'm not mistaken. So it's no different than +/- really.
philosophicle_1 is offline Find More Posts by philosophicle_1