2,866 Posts
Placed on 3rd July, left HK on the 9th
Skycruiser is offline Find More Posts by Skycruiser
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 18, 2008, 05:09 AM
Belgium
Joined Sep 2006
543 Posts
Balancing accuracy on mine is fine. Never more then 0.01V difference between cells, even on a somewhat abused pack that has 1 'slow' cell.
Discharge is indeed max 5W, so on a 3 cell lipo it will only discharge with 0.5A approximately. Same as many other chargers in this class (but that cost 1.5 -3 times more).
Wire on the powerlead is indeed thin, but I tested the charger on full power (6S 2500mAh pack) and the wire didn't get warm. The charge plug got slightly warm though. I don't see heat development being a problem. What could be a problem is voltage drop if your powersource provides pretty low voltage (the charger needs at least 10V, adjustable upto 11V min to protect car battery)

Cons : noisy fan and the 'decrement' button on mine doesn't work very well and you have to press it a little to 1 side to get it to operate.

Conclusion : for 40 bucks it's a great value for money.
u4eake is offline Find More Posts by u4eake
Old Jul 18, 2008, 09:52 AM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reptileman
Hows it charge NIMH packs do they get very hot...or does this charger have adjustable MV peak seting option?...my hyperion at $100.00 don't and that's why it cooks NIMH!!
The only reason why a battery might get hot is either two high of a charge rate or an improper m/v threshold setting. On my Pirahna digital peak charger I set the m/v at 5 or nimhs and around 8 to 12 for nicads. In general too, the higher the charge rate the higher you want to set the m/v. Remember too that nimhs often can't handle the higher charge rates of nicads. My Energizer 2600 AA batteries get hot if I charge them at anything about .3 or .4 amps.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Jul 18, 2008, 10:30 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by critterhunter
The only reason why a battery might get hot is either two high of a charge rate or an improper m/v threshold setting. On my Pirahna digital peak charger I set the m/v at 5 or nimhs and around 8 to 12 for nicads. In general too, the higher the charge rate the higher you want to set the m/v. Remember too that nimhs often can't handle the higher charge rates of nicads. My Energizer 2600 AA batteries get hot if I charge them at anything about .3 or .4 amps.
My hyperion don't have the MV setting option..
reptileman is offline Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Jul 20, 2008, 11:33 PM
Greensboro, NC
Joined Jul 2002
780 Posts
Do you think it would be ok to disable the fan if you are only charging lipos at 1c?

I have a Supernova (charges nicad/nimh) and I hate hearing that fan all the time!

Thanks,
Matt
Matt D. is offline Find More Posts by Matt D.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 02:44 AM
VicRC
Burbank, California
Joined Sep 2003
439 Posts
I had some trouble with this charger, I wanted to test it and a friend was kind enough to let my try it today. I had everything set lipo 6s 2500 at 2 amp. After an hour later 65 minutes, it chimed as it was finished. I decided to check the cell voltage and one of the cell was at 4.30 volts!!! OMG! I have never seen a cell over 4.21 volts with other chargers. This is a new pack with only 6 cycles on it, I hope I didn't kill it.

Is this a bad charger??? it should not charge over 4.2 as it will kill the pack, as I have been told.

I don't think this charger is safe? has anyone experience this?
fw190 is offline Find More Posts by fw190
Old Jul 21, 2008, 07:46 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
I read this thread through but didn't see any mention of the power supply to this charger. Do you need an external power supply or does it has a built in one? If it is external, what kind should one use?
TigerPilot is offline Find More Posts by TigerPilot
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:35 AM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPilot
I read this thread through but didn't see any mention of the power supply to this charger. Do you need an external power supply or does it has a built in one? If it is external, what kind should one use?
You will need an external power supply of 12 volts and 5 amps or greater.
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:45 AM
Belgium
Joined Sep 2006
543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fw190
I decided to check the cell voltage and one of the cell was at 4.30 volts!!! OMG! I have never seen a cell over 4.21 volts with other chargers. This is a new pack with only 6 cycles on it, I hope I didn't kill it.
I don't think this charger is safe? has anyone experience this?
The maximum voltage for a lipo cell is 4.25V. Higher voltage will damage the cell. A small overvoltage won't kill it immediately. It may just loose some capacity.
I have this charger too and I never saw it charge over 4.20V on its internal display. However, I have 3 voltmeters. 1 is calibrated and shows me 4.18V when the charger shows 4.20V. The other 2 voltmeters show 4.23V. When the battery of a voltmeter gets empty, it will show even higher (fictive) voltages. This just to inform you that you should be carefull when checking voltages :-)

You are the first that I see to report overvoltage /bad balancing with this charger.
u4eake is offline Find More Posts by u4eake
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:04 AM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
You will need an external power supply of 12 volts and 5 amps or greater.
Will 12v in be enough for 6s lipo? They take 25.2v minimum to charge.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 09:17 AM
Joined Dec 2004
283 Posts
Someone who knows the details can explain it in technical terms, but in layman terms the charger steps up the voltage to charge packs that have a higher voltage than the power supply delivers. So any 12v power supply with sufficient amps will work fine.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:00 AM
http://fusion-pack.com
Joined Mar 2008
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerPilot
Will 12v in be enough for 6s lipo? They take 25.2v minimum to charge.

Tiger, it will be able to charge your 6s with that power supply, however, since your input voltage is only 12v, the charger will have to invert 12v to 25V, therefor my estimate that you are only going to be able to charge your 6s at arround 1-2amps. If you set it to charge anything higher, your power supply voltage will drop like a rock and the charger will shut off.

The power supply are rated for 5amps at 12V...
Fusion-Pack is offline Find More Posts by Fusion-Pack
Old Jul 21, 2008, 10:11 AM
Joined Mar 2007
41 Posts
I have a duratrax power supply laying around that i was planning on using on this charger. It's rated for 7 amps at 12v. It would easily charge at 6 amps with a different charger but i'm kind of worried about the voltage. I've read about how it isn't really 12v, more like 15-17. When i check it, it has a steady 15.2v coming from it. Is that too much for the turnigy to handle? I'm pretty sure it is rated for 12-18v.

Anyone use a duratrax power supply on it before?
ProxyWRX is offline Find More Posts by ProxyWRX
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:03 PM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra
Someone who knows the details can explain it in technical terms, but in layman terms the charger steps up the voltage to charge packs that have a higher voltage than the power supply delivers. So any 12v power supply with sufficient amps will work fine.
I understand chargers but I'm not familiar with this one and I didn't know if it has a DC/Dc converter. Most small charger that come with the RTF kits are set for two or three cells and have the right input voltage from the wall charger that comes with them. If this one has a DC/DC converter built in and one that will do 2A that's a great price for that little thing.
Old Jul 21, 2008, 12:19 PM
Joined Jan 2005
413 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion-Pack
Tiger, it will be able to charge your 6s with that power supply, however, since your input voltage is only 12v, the charger will have to invert 12v to 25V, therefor my estimate that you are only going to be able to charge your 6s at around 1-2amps. If you set it to charge anything higher, your power supply voltage will drop like a rock and the charger will shut off.

The power supply are rated for 5amps at 12V...
I don't mind charging at 1A to 2A. I don't like to "power" charge my batteries. I have enough batteries to last for the flying session. When they are empty I'm empty too and it's time to call it a day. Then at home I can charge them with a couple of chargers and for a few hours each and then I'm ready to go the next day.
My thoughts of high rate charge is: if I'm really thirsty I can drink almost two cans of soda-pop. If you take them and shove them all at once down my throat I will choke and most if it will come out of my ears and my nose and will go to waste. If, on the other hand, I'll drink the pop using a straw it may take me a little longer but I'll finish my two cans no problem and will be more satisfied and have wasted no pop at all. Just the way I see it. Some one else may see it differently.