HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 08, 2008, 03:05 PM
Irving, TX
Joined Apr 2006
525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcobra
Agreed. It's more trouble than it's worth to ship a $40 charger overseas for warranty work.
I agree with you too.
Fishbone4u is offline Find More Posts by Fishbone4u
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2008, 05:07 PM
Given up counting
Bicester, UK
Joined Sep 2005
2,372 Posts
Quote:
All depends on the quality of the charger and how accurate the voltages are.
Exactly. I received a Mystery charger ($50 delivered) with very similar spec. On testing it out, the voltage it was charging my 3s lipos to was 12.85 V. That is too high for lipo longevity and safety. It charges to 12.55 on the Li Ion setting, but how many people actually check these things? I bought the charger after others recommended it, but none of them have checked the voltages.

Quote:
I wonder about the warranty. If you need to use it, who and where do you ship the unit to?
What the others said. You don't bother. You just find a use for it - or not.

If you buy a cheap charger, check the voltage. By the law of averages, some of them will be OK. Others may not.
alexeames is offline Find More Posts by alexeames
Old Jul 08, 2008, 05:10 PM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
The problem is most people don't have an accurate enough voltmeter to really tell. The best one I've got is through my Victor Super IQ chargers. They are getting up in age though so I'm not sure how accurate they are.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Jul 08, 2008, 06:03 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
Remember that the maximum wattage for charging is 50 watts. That means if you are charging a 6s pack or 2x3s packs, that the maximum charge current will only be about 2 amps.

2A x 25.2V = 50.4 watts
kit is offline Find More Posts by kit
Old Jul 09, 2008, 12:31 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
I ordered one of these a few days ago. It's for sure the best deal in a full featured charger, or even better priced than most basic chargers for that matter. I'm suprised they aren't giving you a two 3 cell pack charging plug and have to buy it seperate. I would have gladly had them keep the glow plug adapator in trade for that. I'll probably wire one up rather than order it.

Up until now I've liked the HXT8030 (?) chargers from Hobby City. For $25 you get a parallel balance charger that works great. Basic in features but a balancing charge is the only feature you really need anyway in a lipo charger. However, for this full featured unit at $36 you are now getting two 3 cell chargers in one for less than $20 a piece if you think about it. The A123 and other cell types, storage charge, cycle break in, etc, are all icing on the cake at this amazing price.

The way I understand it this unit has all the features of their $80 charger but without the USB port. Some seem to think you might be able to add the USB fairly easy. Another interesting point is that the manual makes some mention about using the temp port on this unit to communicate to the computer acting as a USB. Wonder if this is true or even possible? At such a cheap price and with already existing software for the $80 unit, I'm sure this one is prime for hacking and modding.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Jul 09, 2008, 09:55 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
Quote: "about using the temp port on this unit to communicate to the computer acting as a USB. Wonder if this is true or even possible?"

There is an option in the setup menu to change the Temp output plug to a USB output plug. Was looking at the HC web site to see if they offer a USB cable and software anywhere but couldn't find it.

The manual says it is a generic manual for several chargers. I found that the Auto charge mode in Nicad and Nimh does Not exist on this charger, only Manual charging.

If anyone finds downloadable software and a Usb cable for this charger, let us know please.
Last edited by kit; Jul 09, 2008 at 10:28 PM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 01:03 AM
http://fusion-pack.com
Joined Mar 2008
328 Posts
Our GT V5 charger is every bit as good, price is at 55.00, but priority mail is 5.00 and take 2 days. We are right here in the USA, we also do 1 year warranty.

I have no intention to hijack the thread, I just saw a few didn't want to deal with International mail. I thought I would drop a line.

Thanks

Edit* Hopefully after removing the link, people could stop reporting in....
Fusion-Pack is offline Find More Posts by Fusion-Pack
Last edited by Fusion-Pack; Jul 10, 2008 at 11:26 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:22 AM
Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum!
PRC (People's Republic of Commiefornia)
Joined Jul 2005
9,602 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion-Pack
Our GT V5 charger is every bit as good, price is at 55.00, but priority mail is 5.00 and take 2 days. We are right here in the USA, we also do 1 year warranty.

https://fusion-pack.com/productdetai...?id=106&cat=88

I have no intention to hijack the thread, I just saw a few didn't want to deal with International mail. I thought I would drop a line.

Thanks
That charger is not even comparable to the one which is the subject of this thread. It only handles up to 5 cells and doesn't work with LiFe (A123) cells. You should have recommended the A6 which is the same internally as this Turnigy unit, but at $80 before shipping, I can buy 2 Turnigys.

https://fusion-pack.com/productdetai...?id=108&cat=88

Doubletap
Doubletap is offline Find More Posts by Doubletap
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:48 AM
Joined Mar 2008
328 Posts
Opsss, my mistake! You're right, it should have been compare to the A6.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
nj
Joined Jan 2004
1,432 Posts
Yep after reading and checking it out i was thinking the same thing... no features on the gt V5!
reptileman is online now Find More Posts by reptileman
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:51 AM
Joined Dec 2004
288 Posts
The GT A6 from Fusion-Pack is not a bad price. $10 more than HobbyCity but shipping would be $15 for the slowest shipping through HobbyCity so the prices are the same. Of course the previous posters comment about the Turnigy being half the price of the GT A6 does apply.

Now the GT A8 though Fusion-Pack is interesting. The shipped price through HobbyCity is $130. If Fusion-Pack could lower the GT A8 price about $5 then it would be worth it to buy from them.
kcobra is offline Find More Posts by kcobra
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:06 AM
Joined Mar 2008
328 Posts
Quote:
The GT A6 from Fusion-Pack is not a bad price. $10 more than HobbyCity but shipping would be $15 for the slowest shipping through HobbyCity so the prices are the same. Of course the previous posters comment about the Turnigy being half the price of the GT A6 does apply.

Now the GT A8 though Fusion-Pack is interesting. The shipped price through HobbyCity is $130. If Fusion-Pack could lower the GT A8 price about $5 then it would be worth it to buy from them.

Select Local Pick up and we will ship it out Free Priority Mail for you. How about that? Priority Mail will be there in 2 day.

Allthough we try to be competitive with other vendor, but we will not try to beat them in price, just simply impossible for us, US vendor.

Sure, the Turnigy price is unbeatable, 40.00, but like you guy mention, how will you handle the warranty? At least 10 day to get it there and 10day to get it back? Are you going to buy a new charger while waiting. But then again, charger are not likely to go bad like battery. So it's not that bad to go for it. I personally never had a charger go bad on me for no reason.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:48 PM
California
Joined Apr 2006
1,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion-Pack
Sure, the Turnigy price is unbeatable, 40.00, but like you guy mention, how will you handle the warranty? At least 10 day to get it there and 10day to get it back? Are you going to buy a new charger while waiting. But then again, charger are not likely to go bad like battery. So it's not that bad to go for it. I personally never had a charger go bad on me for no reason.
I have never deal with your company when it comes to warranty request, so may be you have fast turn around time for warranty repair/replacement. Same can not be said for all US based company.

I have experienced more then once with US based company that have slow warranty service. One company came in mind is ThunderPower. I sent a balancer to them and they sat on it for 3 weeks before sending the replacement. That's 3 week plus 1 week of shipping time.

I am a bit tired to hear people making the assumption that US based company equal "Good warranty service". Lazy people and crapy company exist in every country !!

Brian
asm_ is offline Find More Posts by asm_
Old Jul 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Joined Oct 2006
2,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kit
Quote: "about using the temp port on this unit to communicate to the computer acting as a USB. Wonder if this is true or even possible?"

There is an option in the setup menu to change the Temp output plug to a USB output plug. Was looking at the HC web site to see if they offer a USB cable and software anywhere but couldn't find it.

The manual says it is a generic manual for several chargers. I found that the Auto charge mode in Nicad and Nimh does Not exist on this charger, only Manual charging.

If anyone finds downloadable software and a Usb cable for this charger, let us know please.
That's what I must have saw somebody mention somewhere. Very interesting. I also *thought* I skimmed somebody saying it's essentialy the same charger as the $80 one they sell with the exeption of not having the USB port. If this is true, the computer software for that unit should work with this one as well, provided you have or make a temp-to-usb adaptor and set up the proper driver in Windows? All speculation. Hoping somebody with more information can chime in.

It not having an "auto" nimh or Nicad option is not a big deal. I prefer to set my charge parameters up on my own and not rely on the charger to decide what is best. Don't trust that.

As to the discussions about price-vs-price to other chargers, there is simply no comparison. There may be some charger I don't know about but everything I've compared it to doesn't even come close in price with these kinds of features.

As far as shipping costs go, I always select the lowest option (one down from default) on shipping and normaly get my stuff within 4 to 5 days, provided it's not on back order. That's pretty darn fast from overseas and with maximum allowable weight it only comes to like $18 or $19. Less if you don't max out the weight of the package. You can't beat that when considering it's coming to the USA from over seas. And, if the shipping seems a little steap to you then just pick up some of those great HXT900 $4 servos and think about how much you are saving over the HS55, which is weaker and more fragile in every respect. I even use these things in planes that I might normaly opt for an HS81 in, but it's just a tad over kill. They are that good.
critterhunter is offline Find More Posts by critterhunter
Old Jul 11, 2008, 04:13 PM
kit
USA
Joined Oct 2001
695 Posts
I ordered the Turnigy charger, an Esc, and a battery monitor and the total for shipping was $12.12 and I received the order in 10 days, even with the July 4th weekend in between.

I've been using the Turnigy charger for 5 days straight and have found no problems with it so far. The 3s lipo packs that I let run to completion showed balance voltages of 4.19v, 4.20v,and 4.20v, that when verified with a Dvm after disconnecting from the charger, showed 4.18v, 4.19v, and 4.19v.

I've put old 4 cell nimh Rx packs, and old 8 cell nicad Tx packs on the Turnigy and ran a DC/C cycle for 3 cycles and they were brought right up to full spec capacity again. I was, and am, impressed with the Turnigy charger and all the features it has for such a low price.

And I agree, the Hxt900 servos are very good too.