Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:33 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
It shows 4.2 volts at the output when the pack is accepting charge current. 4.15 volts resting voltage as measured by the DMM subsequent completion of charge is perfectly normal and expected. IMO, any charger that charges to 4.2 volts resting is overcharging, albeit slightly. e.g.- wjs is absolutely correct.

Mark
Kind a like trying to go the speed of light. The closer you get, the more you slow down, until you stop. Hence you can never get there.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
Last edited by wjs; Feb 09, 2013 at 10:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:40 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
Haha. Very true.

The asymptotic nature of LiXX charging can be a challenging concept to convey, especially to those who have historical experience with NiXX chemistry.

Now, if we could only have superconductors and lipolys with zero internal resistance...

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 12:12 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
I agree it's funny. Still I recommend to calibrate your A6 so that it does what it is supposed to do.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:02 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Hi,

I plugged my power supply into the charger in low light conditions and seen sparks at the port.
Is the thing putting voltage to the outside surface?
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:13 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
7,962 Posts
Nearly all chargers will do this. It's due to high initial current when the input capacitors are charging. Recommend that you first plug the charger into the power supply and then turn on the power supply to eliminate the spark and any potential damage to the charger input section.

Mark
mrforsyth is offline Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:20 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
I agree it's funny. Still I recommend to calibrate your A6 so that it does what it is supposed to do.

Martin
Mine was right on the money. Should probably not change if it is close as the numbers on the MM and charger float so much it is hard to get a consistent reading between the two. If in doubt, leave it.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:35 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
741 Posts
That may indicate another problem, e.g. dirty contacts or an unstable power supply. Mine shows consistent and stable values when connecting a lipo. The reading was a about 30mV off before calibration.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 10, 2013, 01:37 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Hi,

I plugged my power supply into the charger in low light conditions and seen sparks at the port.
Is the thing putting voltage to the outside surface?
Mine did that every single time and it did it for nearly 3000 charges and 7 years later it's still kicking...so I wouldn't worry about too much about it.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Feb 10, 2013, 02:02 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Not sure whether it has something to do with the battery.
Currently my Syma107G can only fly less than 2 minutes before it became unresponsive after a full charged cycle. It is funny though, it is responding and can throttle as if it was being fully charged after switch off and on (with no delay) the little switch of the heli, but the flight time will be less and less..

I started to see this problem after I changed the dead motor for upper blade. Then I thought it might be the motor of lower blade that cause the faulty so I replace it as well but it didn't resolved. I should have mention if I give the heli forward or backward pitch or rudder the heli would even go dead faster than just stay hovering.

The problem remain even with new mainboard replaced.
Check the reading of its 1S lipo shows 4.26 after fully charged, and non-responsive state of the heli show 3.75.

SO the lipo was overcharged and possible defective already, but how could the heli is not listening while it still hold 3.75V?
OR what could have causing this headache?

Ps. my DMM read 4.2 on other full charged lipo, so no worry for the accuracy over here.
guner7 is offline Find More Posts by guner7
Last edited by guner7; Feb 10, 2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 05:01 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guner7 View Post
Currently my Syma107G can only fly less than 2 minutes before it became unresponsive after a full charged cycle. It is funny though, it is responding and can throttle as if it was being fully charged after switch off and on (with no delay) the little switch of the heli, but the flight time will be less and less..

I started to see this problem after I changed the dead motor for upper blade. Then I thought it might be the motor of lower blade that cause the faulty so I replace it as well but it didn't resolved. I should have mention if I give the heli forward or backward pitch or rudder the heli would even go dead faster than just stay hovering.

Check the reading of its 1S lipo shows 4.26 after fully charged, and non-responsive state of the heli show 3.75.

SO the lipo was overcharged and possible defective already, but how could the heli is not listening while it still hold 3.75V?

Ps. my DMM read 4.2 on other full charged lipo, so no worry for the accuracy over here.
How old is your Syma? Usually it becomes unresponsive when the low voltage protection circuit kicks in. If your fully charged battery is going to 3.75V in 2 minutes, you may need to replace the battery. If your heli cuts off due to the low voltage protection circuit, it's a bad idea to turn it back on and run it again. It runs the battery too low and will shorten it's life.

Rob
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:12 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
410 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth View Post
Nearly all chargers will do this. It's due to high initial current when the input capacitors are charging. Recommend that you first plug the charger into the power supply and then turn on the power supply to eliminate the spark and any potential damage to the charger input section.

Mark

Thanks. I am using a Walkera small charger's power supply that came with a Heli. Its 15v ~1000mA. I'll start applying it at the wall instead of the charger.
gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Old Feb 10, 2013, 06:56 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,957 Posts
Quote:
That may indicate another problem, e.g. dirty contacts or an unstable power supply. Mine shows consistent and stable values when connecting a lipo. The reading was a about 30mV off before calibration.

Martin
Would help if I plugged in a batter first. Dooh. No directions to calibration in my docs. Works good now.
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:54 PM
Joined Jan 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
How old is your Syma?
It was about 3 months old I guess. I admit the way I treated my Syma in the beginning of time was totally cruel due to lack of knowledge of heli care. I push the battery everytime until it cut off. Then charge immediately, and most of the time it was left unattended for hours, then fly it again once the charge cable is off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
If your fully charged battery is going to 3.75V in 2 minutes, you may need to replace the battery.
So the battery is really gone bad thanks to my stupidity.. At least the problem doesn't pull any complexity to be fix.

Thanks Rob.
guner7 is offline Find More Posts by guner7
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:28 AM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by guner7 View Post

Did you replace the motor with a different brand. If the problem started after replacing the motors, your replacement motors may be pulling more current than the original one. This would also give you a much shorter flight time.
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:44 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,956 Posts
Quote:

Martin
I calibrated mine in the beginning and it worked great terminating at 4.20v,having learnt now that charging to the last drop may shorten the batt life span of a lipo.I have recalibrated the charger to it's max on the + side this now fools the charger to terminate at 4.18v.I don't use this charger very much as i have better ones but dollar for what it is it's hard to beat.
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug