HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
wjs
William
United States, MI, Brighton
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
"Since balancing during storage discharge masks potential problems with a pack, I would personally avoid such."

I think that is designers logic to "balance" somewhat during discharge to *error if cell is outside some margin of error (which I can't find what the margin is). So it points out the error, not hides it. If you just discharge to X volts, without balance leads, you have no clue what cells end up at. Unless you manually check with a cell meter after every discharge. I let the computer do the grunge work, it seems to do the job well enouph and better then I would remember to do regularly.
wjs is offline Find More Posts by wjs
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2013, 08:20 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
If the voltage differential threshold is sufficiently narrow, I agree that this 'feature' would certainly be less problematic. But then the 'true' differential will be greater than that shown when an error is generated given that the charger has been compensating for the high cells throughout the storage discharge process, hence masking a larger issue. If it did not balance on storage discharge and simply showed cell voltage, the true conditions of the pack would be available on the cell monitor screen. I consider this to be much better. Fortunately, so do Hyperion, FMA, and iCharger.

Is it really that difficult to bust out a cell monitor or DMM to verify individual cell voltage on occasion?

Cheers,
Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2013, 11:51 PM
Pineville, LA
Joined Dec 2006
309 Posts
I've had my Accucel 6 for about 2 years. It seems to work fine but when I'm charging my 1s batteries it stops at 4.2v on the display but when I take the battery off the charger it almost always reads 4.15v. Is that normal or is there some type of firmware update for it?

Thanks
robgau is offline Find More Posts by robgau
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:11 AM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by robgau View Post
I've had my Accucel 6 for about 2 years. It seems to work fine but when I'm charging my 1s batteries it stops at 4.2v on the display but when I take the battery off the charger it almost always reads 4.15v. Is that normal or is there some type of firmware update for it?

Thanks
It is ok. 4.2v is the constant voltage output by the charger, not the battery voltage. The non-load voltage will differ a little bit depending on battery age and other factors. Could also be variance in the device testing your voltage when you remove it.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 09:53 AM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
801 Posts
I doubt that. Perhaps you should calibrate your A6 first with the calibration program and a voltmeter.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:07 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Hi, The noober is back.

I connected this battery and chose 0.9A & 7.4(2C) and it came back Connection Break.

I only had the 3-pin connected. Do I need to connect the other? I don't have that adapter yet.

Thanks

gapi is offline Find More Posts by gapi
Last edited by gapi; Feb 09, 2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:24 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
4-pin?

Yes, you need to connect both connectors to balance charge your pack. The red JST connects to the main charge port and the white JST-XH balance plug connects to the balance port.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 12:41 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Thanks, I edited my post to say 3-pin.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:28 PM
Sir Jasper
Christchurch - New Zealand
Joined Jan 2003
789 Posts
If you are only charging then you only need the two pin connected to the main charging port.
If you want to select the balance charge setting then you will need to connect the white three pin plug up as well.
Mark
zl3vml is offline Find More Posts by zl3vml
Old Feb 09, 2013, 01:49 PM
North Georgia
Joined Oct 2010
418 Posts
Thanks, I made an adapter a little while ago and am balance charging them now.

I just purchased a Heli that came with those batteries and have not worked with the 7.4v 2-cells before or the Accucell6, or any charger of this type, and thanks to you guys I am not stranded.

Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:00 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
Nicely done! Looks like your battery is charging perfectly and is in proper balance.

Mark
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:36 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin. View Post
I doubt that. Perhaps you should calibrate your A6 first with the calibration program and a voltmeter.
Martin
Not clear what you doubt. Just the way it works.
1) At least on mine, there is no calibration program that I could find.
2) During the CV mode, the volts on the screen and at end of charge is the voltage output (i.e. constant voltage output). Notice it climbs up to 12.60v on a 3S pack. Does not waver after.
3) A Turnigy Watt meter inline shows 12.54v over here even when charger shows 12.6v.
4) After removing the pack, my good multimeter shows 12.52v on the pack. My Hobbico multimeter shows 12.38v. My balance connector voltage alarm rounded it 12.6v. Woah.

So there is multiple levels of margin error involved depending on device. Could be .06v+- or more. There can also be a "floating" voltage on top of pack that should drain off before a real voltage can really be read on pack.
Last edited by wjs; Feb 09, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 02:55 PM
wjs
William
Joined Oct 2012
1,966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gapi View Post
Thanks, I made an adapter a little while ago and am balance charging them now.

I just purchased a Heli that came with those batteries and have not worked with the 7.4v 2-cells before or the Accucell6, or any charger of this type, and thanks to you guys I am not stranded.

Nice work. That is how you do that. Now just get a paraboard V3 at some point. Takes the wear off the chargers XH connectors, makes hooking up a tad easier potentially, and gives you parallel charging for multiple packs, and some short protection as a bonus.
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:24 PM
Wallop!
Bussum, Netherlands
Joined Oct 2009
801 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjs View Post
Not clear what you doubt. Just the way it works.
1) At least on mine, there is no calibration program that I could find.
2) During the CV mode, the volts on the screen and at end of charge is the voltage output (i.e. constant voltage output). Notice it climbs up to 12.60v on a 3S pack. Does not waver after.
3) A Turnigy Watt meter inline shows 12.54v over here even when charger shows 12.6v.
4) After removing the pack, my good multimeter shows 12.52v on the pack. My Hobbico multimeter shows 12.38v. My balance connector voltage alarm rounded it 12.6v. Woah.

So there is multiple levels of margin error involved depending on device. Could be .06v+- or more. There can also be a "floating" voltage on top of pack that should drain off before a real voltage can really be read on pack.
I doubt whether it is ok to show 4.20V while the real voltage is 4.15V.
To enter the calibration program, power up while pressing "-" and "start" buttons.

Martin
Martin7182 is online now Find More Posts by Martin7182
Old Feb 09, 2013, 08:49 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,454 Posts
It shows 4.2 volts at the output when the pack is accepting charge current. 4.15 volts resting voltage as measured by the DMM subsequent completion of charge is perfectly normal and expected. IMO, any charger that charges to 4.2 volts resting is overcharging, albeit slightly. e.g.- wjs is absolutely correct.

Mark
RCG Plus Member