HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 22, 2012, 12:58 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,710 Posts
I still use this charger often even though I have got the icharger 206b for my larger batteries, the icharger powered by the hobbyking 540watt power supply running 18v can charge 4s packs at about14-16amps.
aeromaniac is online now Find More Posts by aeromaniac
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:26 PM
Stop me before I build again!
United States, NY, Albany
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post
Not in software, thx guys for not answering :/
It's the new IR version, there is no calibration.

Crap, mine is hosed and there is no calibration to fix it. Accucel 6 displays a full .11 volts LOWER than battery leading to overcharging!
brontide is offline Find More Posts by brontide
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:29 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
Crap, mine is hosed and there is no calibration to fix it. Accucel 6 displays a full .11 volts LOWER than battery leading to overcharging!
ouch!

I hope HK either brings calibration back, or remove the IR feature. Of the 2, I'd much rather have calibration.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I didn't even know two versions of this charger even existed until I got this one and it was behaving strangely. Hopefully I can even get ahold of "customer support".
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:36 PM
Dude, I do fly all day long!
San Jose, California
Joined Dec 2007
5,830 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brontide View Post
I didn't even know two versions of this charger even existed until I got this one and it was behaving strangely. Hopefully I can even get ahold of "customer support".
I doubt there's much they can do, other than you returning it.
I have one of those IR ones too, there is absolutely no way to calibrate it. (well, unless support has some way to flash it)

Luckily mine cuts off at 12.6

BTW - use their live chat...much better way than all the others.
rcalldaylong is offline Find More Posts by rcalldaylong
Old Nov 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1,320 Posts
I'll have to see if this one had a hard upper limit or not, still takes about far too long even if it doesn't actually create a dangerous situation.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Is there a way to program this charger to cut off lipo charge voltage at less than 4.20 volts per cell,i have an icharger and have my cut off set to 4.15v.I have no real need to max out my batteries Thanks
The Tug is offline Find More Posts by The Tug
Old Nov 28, 2012, 11:25 AM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,232 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tug View Post
Is there a way to program this charger to cut off lipo charge voltage at less than 4.20 volts per cell,
No specific feature like that.
Calibrate it wrong?

Try using fast charging and see how it does. The algorithm ends up stopping the charge a bit sooner and doesn't do the 'fine balancing' that can take awhile.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Last edited by flydiver; Nov 28, 2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:12 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,740 Posts
If it's a temporary thing you might tri the li-ion setting that cuts the voltage off at 4.1 volts.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:16 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,025 Posts
A lower termination voltage can also be achieved by charging at a higher charge rate or by using smaller gauge or longer main charge leads.

IMO, this is one of the many areas where higher quality chargers such as the iChargers and FMA PowerLabs show their true value and why I recommend them over the cheaper entry level chargers to anyone who has more than a passing interest in the hobby.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:30 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Thanks guys,i have an I Charger 106b which i terminate at 4.15v,this charger is just sitting around and could be of use as it works fine i just don' want to crank the batts to the end.Am i correct in thinking if i calibrate the charger to a higher voltage would be correct, in that it sees that false voltage of 4.20 and terminates the charge,when actually the battery is less or is it the other way around.I only balance charge this charger gets it close enough just too high for my preference.Thanks
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:43 PM
So. Cal.
Joined Oct 2004
8,025 Posts
Correct. If you want to terminate at a lower actual voltage, change the calibration settings such that they read high. This, in conjuction with charging at a higher rate and using longer and smaller gauge charge leads will most assuredly lower your voltage at termination.

Mark
mrforsyth is online now Find More Posts by mrforsyth
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:25 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Thanks Mark,excellent stuff i could use this charger for the sailboats as they are small batts and low consumption.Entry level and cheap as this charger may be all considering it balances a batt pretty good,all my batts are in pretty good balance so it does not take this charger very long to achive it.I agree with you though the I Charger is in another league.Thanks guys
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:26 PM
Barbados
Joined Jan 2011
1,992 Posts
Thank you gentlemen, i just did the cal but could not raise it much as i only went up a few points and hit +20 i must have done this when it was new as it was spot on,2s nano tec 850mah at a 1c charge finished up at 4.175 and 4.177 that i'll work for me not a bad reading for a $23 charger.Reading taken on a EOS Sentury.Kool and Thanks
Old Nov 29, 2012, 05:42 PM
Joined Mar 2011
2 Posts
I have been calibrating high in this way too so as too not overcharge batteries.....one thing to remember is that if you are calibrating a little high say for example at 12.62....the thing is after flying for lets say 8 minutes and then you check your cells on the charger and they are reading lets say...3.7v each...then really because we have calibrated a little high and charged the battery to 12.6v.....after flying and checking the now cell voltage is going to be a little lower than it is reading...so you gotta bear this in mind and dont go below 3.2v or 3.1...because in reality you might be hitting 3v or even 2.9 v...depending on how high you calibrated in the first place! food for thought, i hope it all made sense! and this was my first ever post here i think...on top of everything else i have a bad memory! lol happy flying guys.
robdram is offline Find More Posts by robdram