SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 04:09 PM
Hungary, Baranya, Pécs
Joined Jul 2011
74 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulio View Post
If I understand the questions (sorry I can't help with hyp quality) the voltage can indeed drop from 4.2 to 4.18 right after it stops. I think that the 6 amp acucell is the best buy.

How do you access the IR measurement on the acucell 6? It is a very important reading for determining quality of cells.

Thanks.
I found at friends older (1-2 years from now) ACCUCEL chargers, WITHOUT the internal resistance feature.

Now a friend ordered (1-2 months ago), a SMALL YELLOW STICKER (triangle) was in the corner of the brown box, it said now with IR.

this charger has a new menu: internal resistance of LI-XX. I measured lipo, nano tech lipo, LI-FE. could not proof the readings but looked good.. I only have a basic multimeter , I do not know how to measure IR else ways.
martin555 is offline Find More Posts by martin555
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:06 PM
That's a funny word
NE Ohio
Joined Apr 2003
3,686 Posts
Thanks a lot. I may just get a new one. Too bad my new "just another charger" doesn't have that menu.
gulio is offline Find More Posts by gulio
Old Jul 05, 2012, 06:18 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,641 Posts
@martin555
That's good to know. I wonder if it's just a difference in firmware?
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:53 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
Hey guys, I have the accucell 6 and have been using it for about a year with no problems. I just got some 2cell 8000mah lipos and when I go to charge them, I can only set the Amps up to 6 but it needs to be an 8 to properly charge. How do I fix this?
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Jul 06, 2012, 06:57 PM
United States, CA, Brentwood
Joined Jun 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
Hey guys, I have the accucell 6 and have been using it for about a year with no problems. I just got some 2cell 8000mah lipos and when I go to charge them, I can only set the Amps up to 6 but it needs to be an 8 to properly charge. How do I fix this?
You need a bigger charger. It will still charge them, but you may have to increase the safety shut off timer.
Underthetire is offline Find More Posts by Underthetire
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:04 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
13,177 Posts
I bought the HK, ECO 8 to replace the Accucell 6 when I went to the bigger batts. Same programming format as the 6, so easy to convert.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Old Jul 06, 2012, 07:08 PM
Vanadu
Canada, YT, Whitehorse
Joined Dec 2008
3,856 Posts
thanks guys ^^
Heavy Chevy is offline Find More Posts by Heavy Chevy
Old Jul 07, 2012, 03:23 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,118 Posts
Hi guys. Does anyone know if it's possible to change the lipo storage cutoff voltage level?

Currently my 3s batts come down to 11.4v in store mode, but I think that's overkill. I'd be happy with 11.7v. It is then a bit quicke to charge. My Hyperion stores to 11.7v

Thanks
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Skywing 38" Build Instructions
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:31 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Underthetire View Post
You need a bigger charger. It will still charge them, but you may have to increase the safety shut off timer.
Yep, that's a 50 Watt charger. You are maxed out.
8.4v x 6A = 50.4W > you can't get to 8A with that charger for those lipos. Plus you are using it to the max. Don't know if that will make a difference in the long run. It might get hot. Stupid fan on mine needs grease periodically to run right.

People run up against this limitation all the time. Trying to parallel charge 2200mA lipos is another one.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 07, 2012, 04:59 PM
RC Helicopter Pilot
United States, CA, Westminster
Joined Mar 2010
1,696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Chevy View Post
This is the biggest problem with these little chargers.

NOT enough power to charge bigger packs in a reasonable length of time.
TheWoodCrafter is offline Find More Posts by TheWoodCrafter
Old Jul 07, 2012, 05:08 PM
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Jan 2007
5,342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWoodCrafter View Post
This is the biggest problem with these little chargers.

NOT enough power to charge bigger packs in a reasonable length of time.
Yes. Folks buy these and they think they are getting a top of the line, wahoo great charger. Sure, it's a decent charger. I use mine all the time but realistically it's just the next step after RTF low end chargers.
flydiver is offline Find More Posts by flydiver
Old Jul 09, 2012, 07:38 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,641 Posts
It's not that bad. I've been using the Accucel-6 to charge my LiIon packs, Lead Acid battery and NiMH packs. And it's fine on my 3s 2200mAH LiPo packs as well. I also use it connected to the computer for LogView. Not bad for a $23 charger IMHO.

But your guys make a good point. For those looking to charger higher capacity LiPo. Spending extra to get a more capable charger is what you should do.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Jul 10, 2012, 03:53 AM
Keep it simple
Salisbury,England
Joined Jan 2005
977 Posts
Circuit Board Component Burned

Hi,

Here's a question for the circuit board experts on this thread.

I have had a couple of these chargers since they came out, and they have given good service.

I must have shorted something on one of them because i got the tell-tale smell of hot component on sunday.

When I opened the case, I could see the component in the photo circled in yellow was damaged plus, of course, the charger no longer works ( selections and screen OK but I get "connection error" every time I hit the start with any kind of battery.

So the question is:-

What is the component, is this an easy component to obtain and do you think it is worth it? I have already ordered a couple more chargers from Hobbyking but if it is an easy fix I wouldn't mind trying.

Thanks in advance,

Al
alfoot is offline Find More Posts by alfoot
Old Jul 10, 2012, 08:56 AM
United States, MN
Joined Feb 2011
4,377 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfoot View Post
What is the component, is this an easy component to obtain and do you think it is worth it? I have already ordered a couple more chargers from Hobbyking but if it is an easy fix I wouldn't mind trying.
I'm sure you can buy whatever it is from any electronics supplier for cheap. If it's "easy" all depends on your skill at soldering SMT components. You said you have a couple chargers. Can't you check one of them to see what the markings on the chip is? Then you could find what it is and where to get it.
grimbeaver is offline Find More Posts by grimbeaver
Old Jul 16, 2012, 04:32 PM
Joined Feb 2012
90 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin555 View Post
I found at friends older (1-2 years from now) ACCUCEL chargers, WITHOUT the internal resistance feature.

Now a friend ordered (1-2 months ago), a SMALL YELLOW STICKER (triangle) was in the corner of the brown box, it said now with IR.

this charger has a new menu: internal resistance of LI-XX. I measured lipo, nano tech lipo, LI-FE. could not proof the readings but looked good.. I only have a basic multimeter , I do not know how to measure IR else ways.
Where did your friend order the charger from? I would like to order the acc-6 but the internal resistance measurement is important feature for me.
eagle75 is offline Find More Posts by eagle75