HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:06 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
United States, OR, Deschutes
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Kris...

what size batts will you be charging? Be aware that the p/s you linked is only 5A....

I have a similar 6amp one, but the largest batts I have are only 1350mah Rhinos...

They are convenient little p/s's for travel etc....I bring one to work when I am charging there...for home use I mostly use my converted Antec 10amp p/s.

Bud
maukabud is offline Find More Posts by maukabud
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:11 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Got some Rihno's for my T-28 - 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C
Bud go on Fleabay and find me the correct charger I am desperate mate

http://www.ebay.co.uk/
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:51 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
Either of those power supplies you posted will work for you. They both are rated at 60 watts and the chargers maximum output is 50 watts.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:55 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Guys would this one work ?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-5A-TFT-LCD...item19bdd65c28

Heres what else they have in the UK Cheers guys

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12V-5A-TFT-LCD...item19bdd65c28
Kris, They will work but your pushing your luck by pulling the max amps from the power supply. You would want a little head room... I advise that the power supply deliver at least and amp or two over whats required for the device that your powering. Example: Just because you cars speedo goes up to 190 KPH does not mean that you can run it at that speed all the time and expect it to survive.

7sp.
7SP is offline Find More Posts by 7SP
Old Oct 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SP View Post
Kris, They will work but your pushing your luck by pulling the max amps from the power supply. You would want a little head room... I advise that the power supply deliver at least and amp or two over what required for the device that your powering. Example: Just because you cars speedo goes up to 190 KPH does not mean that you can run it at that speed all the time and expect it to survive.

7sp.
7sp is there any on here worth getting then ?

Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:02 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRIS... View Post
Got some Rihno's for my T-28 - 2150mAh 3S 11.1v 30C
Bud go on Fleabay and find me the correct charger I am desperate mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Either of those power supplies you posted will work for you. They both are rated at 60 watts and the chargers maximum output is 50 watts.
Yes, what Turner said....@ 5amps, you'll be okay charging your 2150s' (1C = 2.1-2.2amps)....I don't go above 1.5C charging my 1350s'...I usually give 'em 1.5amps...Zippy/HK recommends no more than 2C charge rate.

Those Rhino 30Cs' are da bomb...I love my 1350s'...they blow away any 20C name brand batt, IMO.

However, I just ordered a Turnigy Nano-tech 1300 to try out...I'm hesitant to start changing over to the nano-techs, coz I've invested in 6 Rhino 1350s' and they've performed excellent for me...but...maybe I'll end up adding two nano-techs to the collection...coz it would be nice to be able to charge at high C value at the field, for extra flights!

Enjoy! ~Bud
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:04 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7SP View Post
Kris, They will work but your pushing your luck by pulling the max amps from the power supply. You would want a little head room... I advise that the power supply deliver at least and amp or two over whats required for the device that your powering. Example: Just because you cars speedo goes up to 190 KPH does not mean that you can run it at that speed all the time and expect it to survive.

7sp.
Well, if he's charging @ 2.2amps, the p/s is rated for 5amps....so...wouldn't that qualify as "headroom"?

Just curious about your logic.....

Bud
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:06 PM
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Sep 2009
1,522 Posts
There is 10 watts of head room. This charger will not deliver 5 amps to a three cell battery near peak voltage no matter what the power supply is.

I agree though a little cushion is good especially if you plan to get a more powerful charger in the future.
Turner2 is online now Find More Posts by Turner2
Old Oct 24, 2010, 03:29 PM
Curiouser and curiouser
Rochester, NY, USA
Joined Oct 2005
2,061 Posts
Kris:
Don't you know someone who saves EVERYTHING in the attic?
Ask for an old computer.
I use both desktop and laptop power supplies.
I pick up computers from the curb on trash day
The laptop is the easiest - it will probably just plug in to the charger - MAKE SURE THE CENTER IS + VOLTAGE.
You should be able to find one with near 50 watts,

good luck,
Walt
Kokopeli is offline Find More Posts by Kokopeli
Last edited by Kokopeli; Oct 24, 2010 at 03:42 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:28 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Well, if he's charging @ 2.2amps, the p/s is rated for 5amps....so...wouldn't that qualify as "headroom"?

Just curious about your logic.....

Bud
Yes you are correct, If he is only charging at the rate 2.2amp then that would be plenty of headroom.

7sp.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 04:40 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turner2 View Post
Kris as Turner2 pointed out..and I also said,

The power supplies that you were looking at on flea-bay will work. I like a little more headroom if pushing the max charger capacity, so was giving advice based on the max the charger could handle. As your only going to be charging at 2.2 amps you will be running well below the max that power supply can deliver.

7sp.
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:03 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
yah Kris....stop worrying, order up and feel the glow of good consumerism...lol!

And in the meantime you can start boning up on converting a desktop power supply...not that hard...good info all over the net. I installed two outputs on my Antec-see pic. (I was too lazy, but you can even wire up the third, lower voltage rail to power/test servos, receivers and whatnot...)

Here's my home setup ('scuse the mess!):

Bud
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:24 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
L@@king good maukabud,

I have pretty much the same setup with a few more outputs. One word of advice, because I learned the hard way. Top mounted fans like to collect miscellaneous things both when on or off. I had one to power supply fail and when I opened it up take a look I found several bits of metal shorting things out(ends that I had clipped off resisters, capacitors or LEDs) that had found there way inside the power supply.

7sp
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:39 PM
HELP I AM BEING SET UP!!
Joined Jul 2009
3,940 Posts
Yikes...yah, good advice about debris accumulation....*snip*...off they go a-flying lol!

Good idea to open em up once a year or so and vac out all the dust and crud also..that Antec in the pic really moves some air- two fans, intake on top, exhaust on side...the silver fan sitting on top isn't connected, it's just a BFG AGP card fan I'll eventually use...somewhere!

Those "sandbar" resistors used in the conversion get *really*really* hot, don't they? I slathered thermal paste on the inside of the case where I mounted it and wrote *HOT!* in big red Sharpie on the outside...touched it by accident more than once! Now that I've moved, the p/s sits up higher, away from me and my kid.

Hobbyking has come out with yet *another* new and cool looking charger for $33.58, stocked in the USA warehouse...this one goes up to 80W:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15164

Bud, needs no more chargers Bud
Old Oct 24, 2010, 05:57 PM
7SP
- Remove before flight -
Under a rock...
Joined Dec 2006
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by maukabud View Post
Yikes...yah, good advice about debris accumulation....*snip*...off they go a-flying lol!

Good idea to open em up once a year or so and vac out all the dust and crud also..that Antec in the pic really moves some air- two fans, intake on top, exhaust on side...the silver fan sitting on top isn't connected, it's just a BFG AGP card fan I'll eventually use...somewhere!

Those "sandbar" resistors used in the conversion get *really*really* hot, don't they? I slathered thermal paste on the inside of the case where I mounted it and wrote *HOT!* in big red Sharpie on the outside...touched it by accident more than once! Now that I've moved, the p/s sits up higher, away from me and my kid.

Hobbyking has come out with yet *another* new and cool looking charger for $33.58, stocked in the USA warehouse...this one goes up to 80W:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=15164

Bud, needs no more chargers Bud

Yes can get rather warm. I mounted the resister the same way on my first one.

I did some thinking on the second one. What I ended up doing was to make a bracket (out of scrap sheet metal) that sits in front of one of the exhaust fans inside the case. Its mounted with the same screws as the fan. It extends about 1/4 of the way in front of the fan on the inside of the case with the resister mounted to the end. It acts as a heat sink and puts the load resister in direct air flow from the fan. Case stays nice and cool now and in the winter time the fan makes a nice hand warmer...lol

Thanks I'll have to take a look at that new charger.

7sp.
Last edited by 7SP; Oct 24, 2010 at 06:07 PM.