SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:16 AM
The Netherlands, NB, Hapert
Joined Apr 2002
1,284 Posts
V22 Osprey

Looks like I'll be at home for a while ....due to downsizing at work...........sound familiar ?
Anyway I want to at least try something a little different.
If any of you guys have designed, dreamed about, built, have thoughts on the V22 I would really appreciate you sharing them.....
I was thinking of speed 600 size motors with gear boxes...so this will dictate the size......

Maybe just a pipe dream, but I worth a shot I think

let me know

Thanks
Warbird@home is offline Find More Posts by Warbird@home
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 20, 2004, 09:12 PM
DFW area in Texas
Joined Jun 2004
98 Posts
It has been done by the folks at Bell, I would bet when they were building that beast.
Used to work for an aerospace company here in Texas and we made some parts for it.

lane279...
lane279 is offline Find More Posts by lane279
Old Aug 21, 2004, 12:03 PM
Noob!
Norristown, PA
Joined Aug 2004
272 Posts
Seeing that it's been 18 months since this original post, I'm wondering if you even still are contemplating such a design.

The biggest issue will be *how* to drive the engines from horizontal to the vertical, and vice versa. Secondly, I would assume that you'll have to find someone to custom build the props for it.

Next, unlike a helicopter, there is no rear rotor to stop the aircraft from spinning, only the two rudders, and in a hover, they aren't going to be much use.

I think that with enough computing power onboard, you could probably build an R/C model of it...provided you have the financial resources of Boeing! Other than that, I don't think currently this is a design that we're going to be seeing at the local flying field anytime soon.

Sorry, but that's my opinion.

Gary
GaryMC1 is offline Find More Posts by GaryMC1
Old Aug 25, 2004, 03:41 PM
Vancouver WA
Joined May 2004
1,335 Posts
Come on now, Gary! Tilting the engines wouldn't be that hard. Two speed controls with some sort of mixing for torque control wouldn't be that hard. Flying the thing? Now that might be hard...but I bet it'd be do-able! Cheap? No. Crazy expensive? Not necessarily. Easy? No. See at the flying field? Probably not many! But definitely do-able!

ericm
ericm is offline Find More Posts by ericm
Old Aug 28, 2004, 11:48 AM
Drum Point Maryland
Joined Aug 2004
3 Posts
Seen a bunch of V22's down here at Pax River NAS. Sexy airplane NO- but seeing them fly and tilt the rotors in flight and landing is enough to make one want to or at least thing about it. From what has been heard around the hangouts - the problem with the full size bird is the transition from normal flight to the vertical take off and landing positions of the engines.
jmccall001 is offline Find More Posts by jmccall001
Old Aug 28, 2004, 06:26 PM
DFW area in Texas
Joined Jun 2004
98 Posts
Yeah that's when it wants to turn into a big smoking whole in the ground.Bell sent us some P.R. pics of it awhile back and it showed 4 men parachuting out the back and, wait a sec dosen't it have a flight crew of 4?? Hmmmm.

lane279
Old Aug 28, 2004, 07:21 PM
You win again, gravity!
Rotterdam, NL
Joined Jun 2004
280 Posts
Quote:
Bell sent us some P.R. pics of it awhile back and it showed 4 men parachuting out the back
And those are the PR pics? I'd hate to see the real ones.
Muxje is offline Find More Posts by Muxje
Old Aug 28, 2004, 09:55 PM
DFW area in Texas
Joined Jun 2004
98 Posts
Actually Muxje, It was 4 Marine paratroopers jumping to demonstrate the various missions that the V-22 could perform.It could do a lot,from landing on a carrier to delivering paratroopers to medivac and troop insertions.
There was talk of a 4 engined one for awhile but I believe that idea was scrapped.

lane279...
Old Aug 29, 2004, 09:36 PM
Noob!
Norristown, PA
Joined Aug 2004
272 Posts
A friend and I were discussing the Osprey the other day, in light of Lockheed Martin's JSF aircraft. As you may, or may not know, the JSF in the Marine and Naval variant has a V/STOL capability. Unlike the AV-8 Harrier and the Boeing JSF prototype, which uses vectored thrust, the JSF uses an engine driven 'lift fan' and thrust vectoring of the main exhaust to achieve VTOL.

We wondered if the Osprey could benefit from this type of system, a lift fan instead of rotating engine pods. Maybe, instead of having rotating pods, the Osprey II could be pure turbine, with lift fans and vectored thrust on the wings, and some sort of thrust vectoring on the tail and nose for stability.

Gary
Old Aug 30, 2004, 09:51 AM
Austin, TX
Joined Jul 2004
574 Posts
check it out in "Multi Rotor Helis" Forum

There are guys working on this now. Go check it out in the other forum. Really neat stuff.
tran1172 is offline Find More Posts by tran1172
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
Noob!
Norristown, PA
Joined Aug 2004
272 Posts
Deleted. Internet issue caused double post.
Old Aug 30, 2004, 01:10 PM
Noob!
Norristown, PA
Joined Aug 2004
272 Posts
Tran,
In fact, I did see that one person was flying (and unfortunately, crashing) an 'Ospery' as a dual rotor helicopter system. That may be the only way to achieve the flight, but it's not 'realistic.'

However, the fact that he was getting it into the air and even transitioning was amazing to watch, and my hat is off to him.

Gary
Old Sep 06, 2004, 11:21 PM
Full Scale Pilot
Greenwood, Indiana
Joined May 2004
217 Posts
It would be easy to hover the thing. You just have to have counter acting rotors. The hardest part would definately be the custom parts and assembling the thing
gulfstreampiper is offline Find More Posts by gulfstreampiper
Old Sep 11, 2004, 09:27 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,056 Posts
i would approach this as a 3-d flying profile model out of fanfold foam... at least the airframe costs won't break you, and the prototyping will go very rapidly. From messing around with the V-22 in the x-plane simulator, I think you could make an RC in profile, with the motor pods fixed at a little above 45 degrees from horizontal, and get good vertical and horizontal flight, depending on only power and elevator trim. Make them counter-rotating, (you will have to find left and right-handed 3-blade or 4-blade props, there are some in the park flyer section in hobby lobby's catalog). Geared speed 400's, or may have to go brushless outrunner for motors, hope not, as that's out of my bank account range. I would add a little dihedral to the short wings to enhance roll stability.

Anyway, with that light of a rig, and props at 45+, flying into any slight headwind *should* give you hover for VTOL or VSTOL. Your top speed in flight will be limited, but so is your complexity... with proper throttle and alpha-angle management, this could be made to fly indoors, I think...

I would do this as a three-channel, Aileron/elevator/throttle, or trade ailerons for rudders. Lipo batteries will probably be required to meet the weight.

best of luck, let us know if you go ahead in this manner, I'd like to see if I'm right;-)
Aten W Arthog is offline Find More Posts by Aten W Arthog
Old May 24, 2005, 02:09 PM
Joined May 2005
2 Posts
as some body has already said you could use 2 helicopter props rotating in a different directions to each other, but then i think that if you use something like a live rear beam axle (in minature) and conceal it in the wing then use a right angle t-box (or L box i dont know what its called)or somethin like that and put the prop on the end of that you could do the tilt of 90 degrees but to control it you use a sleeve over the minature axle and attach it to the 90 degree t-box and put an arm on it from the inside on the fuselarge and connect that to a servo (or two) and use a flick switch of a 6 channel controller to alter the angle
RANDYLANDY666 is offline Find More Posts by RANDYLANDY666