Closed Thread
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:41 AM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Discussion
Project - ERJ-145 XR

I am happy to announce my return to rcgroups with a new project. This aircraft was an inspiration from 'ThailandBoy' here on the zone and through his repeated persistence got me rolling again! While I have been busy creating other rc projects for customers, I have been very limited on my capabilities.

For those of you who dont know me, or the ones that never really wondered why I vanished, I encountered the misfortune of messing up my lower back almost 2 years ago and was forced to step away from this Hobby, as well as many other activities. After 8 unsuccessful epidural and SI injections it looks like I'll be scheduling the 'procedure' in the next couple of months.

Anyways, back to the project. The focus of this design is to remain as scale as possible. I created the 3 views at full size which is 98 feet long, 65'-9" wingspan and 22'-2" height. I then reduced 1/12 (0.083) in hopes of getting close to a reasonable size, but the 98" length is too much! I then scaled down 66% and arrived at my present figures of 65-1/4 length, 45-7/8" wingspan and 14-1/4" height. This matches the nacelle diameter for the GWS EDF-55. The wing area calculates to 280" sq, which I believe is insufficient for the anticipated overall weight, and will need to be tweaked.

I'm leaning towards the Clark Y or MH32 airfoils as both of these give good gliding capabilities. I did find a cross section of the original ERJ wing chord, utilizing 'Leading Edge Droop" and the obvious bright colored Vortilons.

This design will also include the Robart 124 Nose gear and 123 Mains, but I am not sure if I can swing the nose gear forward at this time. One of the unique designs of this kit will be the nose, fuselage and tail being built in sections. It will be easier to build, sheet and cover versus the traditional method. The wings will also be detachable as well as the nacelles, and the cabability to run lights will also be accounted for.

A nice flight sim project gave me the attached pictures for reference. I have also attached PDF's of the work in progress.

The main concerns at this point are sufficient wing area, AUW (always a guess) and the right motors for sufficient thrust. The nacelles can be scaled up slightly to acccomodate the EDF 64.

Stay tuned and thanks for viewing!

Glenn
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 29, 2008, 10:58 AM
EDF Jet Jam 2015 , May 28-31
St. Louis Intl, Missouri, United States
Joined Jan 1997
6,899 Posts
Welcome back!
Kevin Cox is offline Find More Posts by Kevin Cox
Old Jun 29, 2008, 11:52 AM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,650 Posts
Yup, welcome back.
Orlando will be interested in this one...

Eric B.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:54 PM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Welcome back,

Yes, this is a nice project indeed. I for sure will be signing on to this one.

I worked on EMB-145's for 7 years and I sure miss them.

Nice scale outlines to the drawings too.......Good luck

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:23 PM
Stilwell Shipyard
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2003
2,100 Posts
I want one!

Hurricane Larry
lslewis is offline Find More Posts by lslewis
Old Jun 29, 2008, 07:31 PM
Hey Now
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Joined Feb 2004
2,655 Posts
Sweet! I've still got my RJ. However, the micro fans I installed on mine are troublesome at best for me so it has very very limited flight time on it. Something for a larger fan and landing gear would be nice!

Hope your back heals nicely!

Scott
speleopower is offline Find More Posts by speleopower
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:42 AM
LEO THE LION TO THE KING
SOUTH CAROLINA U.S.A.
Joined Oct 2004
904 Posts
looks good so far glenn...tom
thailandboy2 is offline Find More Posts by thailandboy2
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:55 AM
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Dec 1996
7,937 Posts
Looks great Fanman!
Ed Waldrep is offline Find More Posts by Ed Waldrep
Old Jun 30, 2008, 02:20 PM
Forgot how to fly
Atlanta, Georgia
Joined Oct 2002
10,201 Posts
Good to see your still kicking Glenn. Your name has come up several times at the Drones. Come see us sometime.
Mike Parsons is online now Find More Posts by Mike Parsons
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:58 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Thanks a bunch Guys!

With AirX's post count, I'm beginning to think he lives here :-)

I can thank the man upstairs that I am blessed to have a design and programming job at a metal fab shop. If my profession had required physical strength, I could easily be without a job. I just spent 1 week on a new CNC punch program and already have parts in the shop. If I could just find the time to sneak in a nice 2 seat ultralite!

Mike, I havent been able to fly in ages. If I do come to visit, I hope it will be more than just to "see" you guys! The Back Doctor is gonna squeeze me in tomorrow for a pre-op exam. I hope this passes like a cool summers breeze!

Once I resolve the ERJ wing area, I'll need to search for the right power system. There are so many new motors out there since the last time I was searching for one.

If all goes well, I should have a laser kit ready in a few weeks. I'm trying to minimize the amount of extra wood that is usually required in kits, so I want to cut almost everything!
Old Jun 30, 2008, 09:00 PM
EDF rules... :)
Joined Nov 1999
13,650 Posts
Hi Glenn,

Seems like I did live here, not so much lately though....

One of the sweetest combos available I have experienced lately is the Alfa 60mm with 5 blade fan/Little Screamers LSJS on 3s, or like Orlando has in his Alfa A4 a Dons Wicked what kv I am not completely sure of but I think he will chime in on it later.

Cheers,
Eric B.

BTW, all the best with your surgery.
AirX is online now Find More Posts by AirX
Last edited by AirX; Jun 30, 2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Added comment
Old Jul 01, 2008, 11:17 AM
MAR
Houston, Tx
Joined Jun 2004
636 Posts
Say there everyone,

Eric, yes its a Don's Wicked motor but as for the KV i'm not really sure. I believe it was somewhere in the range of 4100 to 4300 kv's. I cant find the bag that it came in, and thats where i had the info. I'll ask my bud who i got the plane from and ask him.

Fanman,
Nice subject to model. I've really not seen an EMB-135/145 XR scaled out. Should be really interesting. I've been getting with Eric (AirX), the man that yes practically lives on RCG's , about putting one together. Hopefully if my health gets better, which I'll do my best to, we can put one together.

If you need any info let me know, i'll do my best to answer any questions you may have. I've got a lot of subject matter on the EMB-145XR.

Cheers,

Orlando
marineA4 is offline Find More Posts by marineA4
Old Jul 01, 2008, 12:28 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,431 Posts
Fanman welcome back and just go with it no pressure.

The back thing eh been there done that got the T-shirt I'm a 2 x back Fusion Vet.

Well i wnet one to one scale check out the new ride took 46 years to get to this point and I don't care if I sit there and polish it although the plan is to fly....... Scroll down to the bottom.

http://mrcaviation.blogspot.com/

More pic's here.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ighlight=Jodel

Now get cracking on the ERJ eh...........
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Jul 01, 2008, 01:12 PM
Stilwell Shipyard
United States, FL, Cape Coral
Joined Nov 2003
2,100 Posts
I love it! The message from down under starts with "...no pressure" and ends with "now get cracking..."

I vote for a Scale Wing for the pros & a "Sport" wing for old pilots.

like Skuf7 "no pressure Fanman"
lslewis is offline Find More Posts by lslewis
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:32 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
More progress

I Definetly dont need to feel any pressure or to experience any cracking right now!

I'm almost finished with the cockpit details. I had to laugh when I saw this picture of the pilot and first officer seats. They designed a slot right where the stick can rest if you should ever need to pull up in a steep climb! I wont go there but it looks like it could serve other purposes if it was alittle wider

The seats include this unigue slot as well as arm rests. I'm adding the dash for gauges and the sticks as well...
Closed Thread