HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:31 PM
Beagle Oregon
Joined Mar 2008
65 Posts
Discussion
MSL gear in Harbor Freight free flight.... build

I used MSL guts in this free flight glider. I forgot to take pictures of it after I was done, but I do have a few during the build. I got the itch to just get her done and fly her.

Flight report.

I am happy to say that it flies really well, with the exception of the wings being way to flimsy. The MSL gear has plenty of power to climb up to about 50 feet and perform power off turns. It turns real sharp with power off, so sharp that my left wing collapsed ending my first flights in a spectacular spinning crash that broke the horizontal stab in half. An easy fix, but I need to figure a way to stiffin the main wing. I am thinking of gluing on a thin strip of balsa down the wing length and adding a set of struts. Will try again after that and post more pictures.

Brian.
cougar1969 is offline Find More Posts by cougar1969
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:32 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
tells us how it flys. Post a video why your ready
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:34 PM
Beagle Oregon
Joined Mar 2008
65 Posts
I dont have the capability for video right now, unless I can get my bro around to do it. Will try that. Might be a while before I can get back to it though, I work a lot.

Brian.
cougar1969 is offline Find More Posts by cougar1969
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:41 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cougar1969
I dont have the capability for video right now, unless I can get my bro around to do it. Will try that. Might be a while before I can get back to it though, I work a lot.

Brian.
check your inbox for messages. I send you a couple regarding the purchase
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:15 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Nice build! Glad to hear that it flies. My harbor freight free flight plane is in ruins.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:30 PM
Lawful Neutral... mostly
WV
Joined May 2007
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiesthelimit
Nice build! Glad to hear that it flies. My harbor freight free flight plane is in ruins.
OT, but what kind of tape did you use there?

I'm trying to find a lightweight, strong tape for my piddly projects
Plastic_Avatar is offline Find More Posts by Plastic_Avatar
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:47 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
I have no idea what it is called but it has a fiber in it that makes it impossible to break, except by scissors. Op here it is: http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/e...er/output_html
I guess that it is called filament tape. Really strong stuff but not too light, but it should work.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jun 28, 2008, 01:14 PM
Shawnee, Kansas
Joined Oct 2005
598 Posts
I have used that tape to stiffen the wings on planes. It works good.
Ched is offline Find More Posts by Ched