HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:26 PM
Up Up and Away!
Joined May 2008
1,933 Posts
Discussion
Official parkzone vapor review thread!

They had one for the ember so I thought we should have one for the vapor!
This thread is specifically made for reviews. If you have a parkzone vapor that you just got, post pictures and video here. If you have a long review. Post it here. I made this thread because people already started getting vapors in the indoor micro planes section of rcgroups. IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PLANE, POST YOUR PROBLEMS IN THE OTHER VAPOR THREAD! thanks
lightspeeddud is offline Find More Posts by lightspeeddud
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:01 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
176 Posts
Just picked mine up at from my LHS this evening.

I got the Bind n Fly edition. When I got home I popped the included AA batteries in the charger and put the battery on charge. I would assume they shipped the lipo at 50% charge it took about 12 minutes for the charger to go to a really slow blink indicating a full charge.

Binding to my DX7 was very simple. I setup a new model in ACRO mode. Turned off the DX7. Plugged the lipo in to the Vapor and then turned on the DX7 while holding the bind button. In about 6 seconds the the Vapor receiver stopped flashing and all the controls worked the correct direction without any programming changes.

I set the wing and battery to the suggested locations and launched it at about half throttle. After a few laps around the room I let it settle in to the couch and adjusted the wing forward and the battery back to shift the CG back. After that it was much easier to pitch the nose up and fly slower.

On the first charge I proved the Vapor is pretty durable. I hit the lights, the walls and the bookcase while goofing around and seeing how much I could try. All I had to do was slide the battery back to the position I wanted it and toss it back in the air.

I got about 14 minutes of flying on the first charge

The posted video is the first flight on the second battery charge. I just wanted to show the ROG off the island and some different speed simple circuits around the room. It was also my first attempt at a spot landing back on the island.

It flies very easy and I am starting to play with some higher alpha type flight. I have gotten it in to a pretty good hover as well.

The video was shot with my little Canon point and shoot camera so the sound sucks and it was my wifes' first attempt at videoing a plane

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showa...mentid=1937974

YouTube video for those who can't get the other version to work. not as good a video quality after being YouTubeized.

Vapor indoor RC (1 min 17 sec)
dlesnick is offline Find More Posts by dlesnick
Last edited by dlesnick; Jun 27, 2008 at 11:50 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:08 PM
It works, don't touch it.
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Wheres the vid? Would love to see this plane in action.
skiesthelimit is offline Find More Posts by skiesthelimit
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:09 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
176 Posts
Sorry the link did not post it is there now.
Last edited by dlesnick; Jun 27, 2008 at 11:15 PM.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
No it wont let me watch it. "Quicktime does not understand" Darn.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:18 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
176 Posts
Try changing the extension to .m4v and see if your quicktime likes it then
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
2,935 Posts
Wow! Just watched it in Windows Media Player. That was great. Nice and slow. Great landing.
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:34 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
176 Posts
Tomorrow I am going to move the cars out of the garage and fly in there. Hopefully there is enough ceiling height to loop it Plus I will have more like a a 25' x 37' area to fly in!

The area in the video is about 28'x 20' but has the lights and stuff to contend with.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 02:05 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,150 Posts
my apartment's to small
airpower is offline Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jun 28, 2008, 03:06 PM
Just add water!
Hudson Valley of N.Y.
Joined Aug 2005
468 Posts
I WANT ONE! Got to order one now, as I said in another Vapor thread, NICE VIDEO!
Tommyr is offline Find More Posts by Tommyr
Old Jun 28, 2008, 07:00 PM
Southeast PA
Joined Oct 2005
2,805 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeeddud
IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH YOUR PLANE, POST YOUR PROBLEMS IN THE OTHER VAPOR THREAD! thanks

Is that so mods and fixes will be in the other thread?

3 things I'd like to know. Can I use/bind my Ember TX to this thing? Same battery as the Ember? (I have 2)
Also, the wing covering looks,,,,, loose, fragile, sloppy from the few pics I've seen. What do the owners think?
Vario3 is offline Find More Posts by Vario3
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:47 PM
Des Moines, Iowa
Joined Apr 2003
176 Posts
I believe the Ember TX will bind but I know for a fact the DX6 will not.

The loose covering is by design. So that it does not snap the carbon. It flys fine with a few wrinkles.
Old Jun 28, 2008, 11:58 PM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlesnick
I believe the Ember TX will bind but I know for a fact the DX6 will not.

The loose covering is by design. So that it does not snap the carbon. It flys fine with a few wrinkles.
Ember Tx will not bind to Vapor, as it is not DSM2. That's one big reason I held off on the Ember. By the way, the DX-6i WILL bind. 'Bout time someone came up with a super slow flyer that doesn't come with a cheesy Tx I don't need. Bring on the 4-channel, Horizon! Oh, yeah-lights for indoor night dogfights, too!
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:01 AM
Chicago Northwest subs
Joined Jan 2007
2,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vario3
Is that so mods and fixes will be in the other thread?

3 things I'd like to know. Can I use/bind my Ember TX to this thing? Same battery as the Ember? (I have 2)
Also, the wing covering looks,,,,, loose, fragile, sloppy from the few pics I've seen. What do the owners think?
Yes. The Minnium batts all work. Cool. Nice avatar, by the way, Vario. Are you by chance a Northrop fan?
minirips2 is offline Find More Posts by minirips2
Old Jun 29, 2008, 12:43 AM
Santa Barbara, CA
Joined Jan 2003
329 Posts
i stopped by my lhs today, and he had one out of the box he was flying around the store it was supprisingly nimble and resillient, he crashed it a bunch of times and it never seemed to hurt it. i was suprised he was flying it in such a small area. had to resist the urge to buy one on the spot!
unsped is offline Find More Posts by unsped