HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2003, 09:17 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Large EEP Warbird, Who wants one?

Ok, Talk is cheap. Who wants one????? It will be a 55" span P-51D Mustang. The same one I posted plans for. Perfect of the Warbird slope races!

I am going to make some calls this week to see if I can get some cores cut. If I can get them at a reasonable price I will make 12 kits. That's it, I have already done the model airplane business thing and have no desire to do that again on a regular basis. I will make the plans and instructions.

The planes will have a regular square fuse that must be shaped. I am thinking about preshaping the spinner and if I can whip up a plug I will make clear canopies. All wood, linkages and precut wood AND coro tail feathers will be included.

Price will be dependent on the cores but figure $120-150. I need 10 other guys to tell me they want them then I'll order the material.

TFLG
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2003, 09:37 PM
Free as a bird now.
United States, FL, Punta Gorda
Joined May 2002
6,577 Posts
Sign me up!
Brian Courtice is online now Find More Posts by Brian Courtice
Old Jan 26, 2003, 09:51 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,577 Posts
Hmmm... If there is any chance of influencing which design you kit, I'd rather have the Me-109 or the Cobra. Maybe if enough guys sign up for kits, we could vote?

I am not trying to rock the boat here, and I have nothing against Mustangs (I've had plenty of 'em.) It just seems that every other warbird you ever see is a Mustang. The Cobra and Me-109 are less commonly modeled.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 10:48 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
I really don't want to do the aircobra. It's the hardest to shape the fuse right. The mustang is really pretty slab sided so it's easy to shape it right and it's the easiest to do a clear canopy. The Me-109 would be another good choice. It's also pretty slab sided (at least in the middle anyway). I could probably pull a canopy for that one too.

TFLG
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:01 PM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
hey tflg...

what about CF spars? does you price include shipping?

im in the process of purchasing cores right now for the plane you spec'ed out for me and am wondering if i should just go with your kit. lemme know soon cause i think im gonna try and do this soon...

thanks.
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Last edited by torcgolf; Jan 26, 2003 at 11:07 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:24 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
The wings will have Spruce spars, 2 of them. That should be plenty. The fuse will have a steel golf club shaft running down the middle (my secret weapon). The elevator pushrod will be inside the shaft (True Temper Dynamic Gold, Please specify flex! ). I have boxes of old shafts and the weight difference between the steel and carbon is minor. ( about 4 ounces for steel and 3.25 for carbon)

So yes all the pieces will be in there. It will be very similar to my Aircobra in construction except the spar will be stiffer and an additional spruce sub trailing edge will be supplied.

It should be quick and fairly heavy.

TFLG
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:31 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,577 Posts
If you do the Me-109 too, I'll take one of each.

A couple of design questions:

Why did you choose to go with a 55" span when 60" is the max allowed? Do you think the 55" wing has an advantage over a 60 incher?

What will the airfoil be? You have posted that you thought the rg-14 in the Cobra may have been too thin. Will it be rg-14 again or something else?

Also, will there be a carbon tube fuselage stiffener/pushrod tube
included?
Old Jan 26, 2003, 11:33 PM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,577 Posts
Ahhh... you were apparently answering my 3rd question as I was typing up my post.
Old Jan 27, 2003, 12:21 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
Two EPP topics in short succession from TFLG? What's happening to you? Did the Caravelle mid-air at Soar Utah somehow cause brian-damage? I'm worried...

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:57 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,116 Posts
Dieter

No breathing all those resin fumes has rotted my nuerons!

It's all part of my master plan "to take over the world"......narf! You see what happens during the winter when the consistant slope winds don't blow. Boredom sets in then you start hallucinating then you think "hey wouldn't it be a good idea to make an EPP plane".

Don't worry I'm working on cruchie stuff for the MWE's next month.

Brian

I am going to cut the cores for 60"span. If you want 60" you can leave em. Or you can cut them to 55" for a more scale look. The airfoil will probably still be the RG-14 at the root. I am probably going to go with a thicker foil at the tip though.

I could also do a Reno style mustang. I have a clear teardrop deck I made for my 1/10th scale Strega that I could include if anyone wanted a racing version.

TFLG
Old Jan 27, 2003, 09:12 AM
PiLoTuS pArKfLyIcOuS
Dub Cee, California
Joined Aug 2002
928 Posts
tflg!

that stega looks hot!!! ive made up my mind... i want one! could you include both canopies (stega and p-51d)?
torcgolf is offline Find More Posts by torcgolf
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:02 AM
Dunetop Flyer
Cape Cod, Mass., USA
Joined Dec 2002
782 Posts
TFLG,
If you can be persuaded to kit the ME-109 I would like to get one.
Jan
jcarstan is online now Find More Posts by jcarstan
Old Jan 27, 2003, 10:44 AM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,686 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
Boredom sets in then you start hallucinating then you think "hey wouldn't it be a good idea to make an EPP plane".
Really...!? -- I guess I'd rather go bowling, play bingo, or drink bud... :o) I hope all is well with you, and we don't lose the F and are stuck with TLG...

Dieter Mahlein
http://shredair.com
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:26 AM
Free as a bird now.
Joined May 2002
6,577 Posts
Funny you should post that Strega shot. I already made a modified version of the Mustang plans you posted, and changed the outline to a Stega-like reno plane. I was thinking that if I built the EPP Mustang, I'd change mine into a racer.

A clear canopy would be sweet.

Deiter: Fear not about a serious slope-head like TFLG going "soft" on epp foam. (Pun intended)

The idea here is to build a bunch of nice warbirds that can be raced in man-on-man competition without fear of destroying them.
It should be lots of fun, and the challenge is to build a good performing racing aircraft with epp as the main building material.

Also, maybe the guy who hit TFLG's Caravelle with a foamie will show up some day with a crunchie masterpeice of his own. We can all use our foamies to get revenge on the guy!
Old Jan 27, 2003, 11:58 AM
North Hills
Joined Nov 1999
6,073 Posts
What ever happened to "friends don't let friends fly foam?"

I'd be in for a Me-109 or a racer Mustang. Not too hep on a D model, since I've got a DAM-51 sitting around.

Pete
SchiessCo is offline Find More Posts by SchiessCo