HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2003, 09:34 PM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
If your gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough!

Sometimes I can be dumb, so thank goodness the Zagi is tough!

I've always heard about how tough a Zagi is, but have never really experienced it until today.

I have a brushless powered Zagi and I was putting it through its paces by doing low level passes.

My Zagi flys significantly different from the other aircraft I fly on a regular basis. My funfly airplanes are so tail-heavy, they require "up elevator" when they are in inverted flight to fly straight and level. My Zagi needs "down elevator" to be able to fly straight and level in inverted flight.

To make a long story short, I was trying low level inverted passes when I forgot what direction was up. The Zagi went in nose first at full throttle into the field. The battery (an 8 cell 1700mah HR4/5 Nimh) burried itself completely in the mud. The only thing visible on the battery was the plug sticking above the ground. The nose looked like I had split the foam cores all the way to the trailing edge. The wing covering was split in several areas. The tray and cover do not exist anymore.

I thought it was a gonner. After I got home I stripped the covering off and to my suprise, there is no damage to the cores. The wing is in great shape. A little wrinkled in a few areas. All I need to do is to recover and replace the tray. That's it!

I am truly amazed.

If anyone else has similar Zagi Survival stories please share them here.
latch66 is offline Find More Posts by latch66
Last edited by latch66; Jan 26, 2003 at 09:36 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2003, 07:47 AM
Trollhattan, Sweden.
Joined Oct 2002
186 Posts
I saw this quote somewhere on the web:
"When you're inverted, down is up and up is expensive.."

Mats is offline Find More Posts by Mats
Old Jan 27, 2003, 08:24 AM
Oskaloosa, IA
Joined Apr 2002
363 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mats
I saw this quote somewhere on the web:
"When you're inverted, down is up and up is expensive.."

LOL!

You are right!

Fortunately this time, "up" will only cost me a tray, some covering, and a little time.

Even the battery pack survived.

The motor and ESC survived too!

I'll do a range check to make sure the receiver is OK, but it was still working at the field after the crash.
latch66 is offline Find More Posts by latch66