HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:43 AM
1.21 Gigawatts!
United States, NY, New York
Joined Sep 2006
560 Posts
Discussion
looking for the best RC toolbox

not sure if this is the correct thread, but i have found myself over and over again looking for a toolbox that fits my needs for all things RC...

anyone have any suggestion, i would use this box for tools i need to take to the field with me and also the place to bring my batteries along, it'd be nice if it help my TP charger as well, i want something of decent size but not overly bulky, i will carry my transmitter in a seperate case...

any ideas? i went to home depot and was utterly disappointed with the options...any suggestions (and links) would be great, thanks!

dave
dnorm is offline Find More Posts by dnorm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 27, 2008, 01:48 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
There is no such thing as THE BEST RC toolbox

I advise going and looking at assorted toolboxes and tackleboxes at WalMart or some other place with a good assortment,

It really depends on how much of what stuff you need to take to the field
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:19 AM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,241 Posts
tackle boxes....

IMHO, I have found the "plano" toolboxes and the clear plastic lure trays to be the best bet. I have about 9-10 of the trays and five of them slide into a plastic tackle box essentially. I keep all of my building supplies in them. then when i am going to the field, i just grab the ones with the clevis, charge leads, servo horns etc., load them in the tackle box and go. nothing spills and its easy to put stuff back in my shop when i get home. Now if I could just find one that my extra props fit into i would be set. Shoe boxes will have to keep workin for now...

http://www.planomolding.com/tackle/products.asp

got it at wal-mart. Maybe $20-30 tops. comes with the three bigger trays and two smaller ones that fit in the right side. ca the dividers in place and you are good to go.
plane_tech is online now Find More Posts by plane_tech
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:39 AM
CSI
I promise, just ONE more order
Del Rio Intl, Texas, United States
Joined Feb 2004
3,995 Posts
I have tried different boxes, each had their advantages and disadvantages. I have ended up with one of the Electrician tool bags that are made out of cloth type material. It is definitely my favorite. Very adaptable and holds everything I need with room to spare. I got mine at Home Depot!
Ken
CSI is offline Find More Posts by CSI
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:00 AM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,801 Posts
A jacket with at least two pockets, and maybe a small ice cream tub.

I used to have a medium sized flight box with all sorts of spares and tools in, then I gave up IC flying and changed to electric. Now the ice cream tub carries my batteries, my pocket has a small screwdriver and a couple of hex keys. Plane in one hand Tx in the other.

The other pocket?

A plastic bag, just in case
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Jun 27, 2008, 03:54 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,241 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray

The other pocket?

A plastic bag, just in case

lol.... and just what is that for???

i always seem to forget them when I need them....
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Yeppers I went to HD looking for just what CSI has(saw it in another thread) and they had one but not as approriated as CSI's but is still the best thing since sliced bread to me. Holds everything I need and quick access to it all.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:01 PM
Theoretical Modeler..
Joined Oct 2007
2,241 Posts
duplicate
Last edited by plane_tech; Jun 27, 2008 at 04:11 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:35 PM
Team Cobra!!! Ssssssss!
United States, NE, Doniphan
Joined Feb 2005
7,856 Posts
I use the exact same box as plane tech has. Works great. But, its sooooo full all the time, I may just have to get another! Or, maybe I shouldn't have so many planes when I go to the field! Nah... I'll get another box.

Laine.
lmopar69 is offline Find More Posts by lmopar69
Old Jun 27, 2008, 04:48 PM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
I ahve ben threatinging to pt up a storage shed at the field just for MY stuff...
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:53 PM
Off we go.............
Seattle, WA. USA
Joined Jan 2006
3,325 Posts
Haha, you'uns should see Kosh's over at wattflyer, his entire car is one big flightbox. I fly with him from time to time, and im amazed every time I see it, and also by how many planes he gets in it.
It's just a little hatchback import, and older one and the last time I was flying with him I counted 11 planes coming out of that little thing.

Yep, it's a driveable flightbox/hangar.
SabreHawk is offline Find More Posts by SabreHawk
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:54 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,460 Posts
I love this one - just wish it had slightly thicker slots for batteries. My TP Extremes don't fit in the smaller slots, but the Pro-lite 2100 fits in there nicely.
http://www.electrifly.com/miscproducts/gpmp1004.html

One person at the club got one of these last year, and I've seen at least 6 of them this year, plus mine. We have a charging station, so nobody has the batteries, but you can put batteries in the bottom and plug your charger right into the box. There's also drawers for tape, screwdrivers, rubber bands, sunscreen, etc - at least that's what I have in there. It's versatile enough to put anything small in it that would need at the field.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jun 27, 2008, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jul 2006
22,991 Posts
Don't listen to any of these guys about what is the best flight box!

Here is the CORRECT way to purchase a flight box.

Go into the cupboard and grab an assortment of Tupperware bowls. Take these bowls down to the local department store, or Home Depot, etc... and find a plastic toolbox, or bag that will hold all the Tupperware bowls.

When you're ready to go for a day of flying, fill the bowls with food. Different kinds of food, like macaroni salad, pies, cakes, sandwiches, etc.

Fill your pockets with batteries, grab the plane and TX, and go flying.

Don't forget the food.

Chuck
NoFlyZone is offline Find More Posts by NoFlyZone
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 27, 2008, 08:28 PM
Build it, don't buy it
Calgary, AB, Canada
Joined Apr 2008
2,201 Posts
Best RC box I've seen:

Oh you said tool box, sorry.
foamnpacktape is offline Find More Posts by foamnpacktape
Old Jun 27, 2008, 09:41 PM
Suspended Account
Brunswick, OH
Joined Nov 2005
5,547 Posts
I have yet to find anything that works at home and at the field. I've got a few storage boxes which are stackable, but not meant to be carried.... I also have a toolbox type (like the ones shown above) but I don't like digging through it when I'm on my workbench. I wish I could find a good storage system that was organized for home and portable for the field.... not sure such a thing exists.
HappyKillmore is offline Find More Posts by HappyKillmore
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)