HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
This thread is privately moderated by ShaunGlide, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:00 PM
Joined Jun 2008
9 Posts
Trader Rating: 0
Wanted
Robbe ASW-17 Royal 4 meter - fuselage needed

My first time on this site. Hope someone can help. Looking for a needle in a haystack. Flew my Robbe ASW-17 last weekend for first time in 15 years. Predictably, I crashed it. Fuselage broke into two pieces but miraculously the wings etc. unharmed. Anybody got a spare Robbe ASW-17 fuselage they'd like to sell me?
Thanks!
ShaunGlide is offline Find More Posts by ShaunGlide
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:13 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,919 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
Have you considered repairing it? Post the, uh, remains over on the scale Sailplanes forum and I'm sure someone will be happy to give you some pointers.

This is the fiberglass version, right? Not the "plura" fuse, I hope...
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:19 PM
Joined Jun 2008
9 Posts
It's the plastic version, not fibreglass. I could repair it but this is a last resort given how damaged it is.

The only other thing I've considered is maybe patching it together and then making a mold in order to shape a new fibreglass fuselage. Never done this before so wouldn't know where to start or even if it was viable.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:34 PM
Joined Jan 2003
6,919 Posts
Trader Rating: 6
I had the 3 meter ASW-19, and spent quite a bit of time fixing th fuse.
slopemeno is offline Find More Posts by slopemeno
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Goat Rock Threads
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:36 PM
Joined Jul 2007
184 Posts
Trader Rating: 1
have you considered patching it together and then filling all the voids with microballoons then sanding smooth and what not, and then slipping a carbon sleeve over the entire the fusealage.... or carbon/kevlar.... http://www.sollercomposites.com/comp...20sleeves.html

if you need more specific advice pm me and ill be happy to help- Adrian
ajhockett is offline Find More Posts by ajhockett
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:44 PM
Build/Fly/Crash/Repeat
United States, HI, Kapalua
Joined Jan 2002
1,198 Posts
Trader Rating: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunGlide
The only other thing I've considered is maybe patching it together and then making a mold in order to shape a new fibreglass fuselage. Never done this before so wouldn't know where to start or even if it was viable.
I'd highly recommend doing this. Not near as hard as you might think, as long as you have some patience.

Patch/fill/sand. Prime/Fill/Sand. Repeat until done. You'll be proud of your handiwork when completed.
CoastalFlyer is offline Find More Posts by CoastalFlyer
Old Jun 27, 2008, 11:28 AM
Less Whinning, More Flying
SF Bay Area, USA
Joined Feb 2003
1,725 Posts
Trader Rating: 5
Good advices all, but repairing a Plura fuse is not the same as a glass fuselage. You may have to put a mechanical strap on the inside to bring the broken pieces together.
Sailhigh is offline Find More Posts by Sailhigh
Old Jul 08, 2008, 08:18 PM
Mauiglider
Kula, Maui
Joined Jan 2005
0 Posts
Small world. I just acquired an ASW17 fuse and came on RC Groups to look for some wings. Are you interested in selling the wings? If not, I may part with this fuse as I am not sure I am up to the project. Shipping would be to/from Maui but USPS is fairly reasonable. Aloha,
Mauiglider is offline Find More Posts by Mauiglider
Old Jul 15, 2008, 12:58 AM
Joined Jun 2008
9 Posts
Mauiglider
Thanks for the interest but I want to hang onto the wings. If you decide to sell the fuse, let me know (price etc.)
Much appreciated.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 01:06 AM
Joined Jun 2008
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajhockett
have you considered patching it together and then filling all the voids with microballoons then sanding smooth and what not, and then slipping a carbon sleeve over the entire the fusealage.... or carbon/kevlar.... http://www.sollercomposites.com/comp...20sleeves.html

if you need more specific advice pm me and ill be happy to help- Adrian
Adrian
Amazing idea on the carbon sleeve! I've been building gliders and planes for decades and had never heard of this idea. Thanks a ton - I will no doubt use this idea sometime in the future.
Closed Thread