HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:59 AM
Joined Jun 2008
14 Posts
Help!
how to remove MonoKote from a new ARF (TowerHobbies $10 off $49.99 coupon inside)

hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and found tons of helpful info from here.

I just got a Tower Hobbies Voyager 40 ARF, I like the plane, but the color looks really odd. I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white, and there are red and bule layers on the top of the white. please advice how to remove the red and bule layer without damage the bottom (white) Layer.

Thanks

By the way, Just found a coupon for Towerhobbies.com takes $10 off when purchase over $49.99. use coupon code: 011yk. enjoy it.
pady is offline Find More Posts by pady
Last edited by pady; Jun 26, 2008 at 03:09 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2008, 06:58 AM
aclosedmouthgathersnofoot
Mansfield, Vic, Aust
Joined Aug 2007
228 Posts
i have'nt used monkote but i'd assume an iron would loosen the glue on the top layer, it'll probably slacken the bottom layer but you'll be able to tighten it up again.
freeble is offline Find More Posts by freeble
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:57 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeble
i have'nt used monkote but i'd assume an iron would loosen the glue on the top layer, it'll probably slacken the bottom layer but you'll be able to tighten it up again.
Hi guys,

Of course experience is far better than assuming so trying it is the only possible solution.

Since I also have not used monokote, I can also make assumptions by reasoning.

I feel (I think) that the temperature of the white layer (underneath) would be about the same as the colored layers on top.

I also feel that the adherance of the colored layer to the white layer would be greater than the adherance of the white layer to the wood or foam. This reasoning is based on the thought that for a given area a higher percentage of ahesive contact would exist between the two layers than the white layer has to its contact base (wood or foam).

Which layer will give up first will be revealed by trial (excperimentation) somewhere not too much in evidence like under the stabilizer or under a wing or fuselage near the rear of the fuselage.

I would think some differences can be expected in areas where the white lyaer is unsupported (open areas of the structure).

It would be interesting to see postings from someone who may already have tried to do just what you want to do.

I certainly will be one following this thread.

Good luck and let us know the results of your trials.

Zor
Zor is offline Find More Posts by Zor
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:22 AM
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
I use momokote all the time. Try using your heat gun but control the amount of heat by applying heat then remove the gun. You don't want to cet the covering to hot. When you get the top layer started keep applying and removing the heat to the adhesive side of the top layer as you gently pull it in the opposite direction. The heat application is really important. You want just enough heat to activate the adhesive on the top layer without getting the bottom layer to hot. Good luck and be patient. You will probably have adhesive remaining on the surface of the bottom layer. To remove it experiment with CA debonder. Do not get the debonder on any painted surface.
jwander is offline Find More Posts by jwander
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:53 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwander
I use momokote all the time. Try using your heat gun but control the amount of heat by applying heat then remove the gun. You don't want to cet the covering to hot. When you get the top layer started keep applying and removing the heat to the adhesive side of the top layer as you gently pull it in the opposite direction. The heat application is really important. You want just enough heat to activate the adhesive on the top layer without getting the bottom layer to hot. Good luck and be patient. You will probably have adhesive remaining on the surface of the bottom layer. To remove it experiment with CA debonder. Do not get the debonder on any painted surface.
Hello jwander,

It nearly sound like you have done it and have the experience.

What did you use as a source of heat?
That would give our friend some valuable idea what to use to apply the heat mainly to the top layer and minimize the heat to the white bottom layer.

You are referring to a "gun" (a heat gun). I am trying unsuccessfully to visualize how a gun can direct the hot air to the layer to peel off while not equally heating the bottom white layer.

Did you experiment with CA debonder?
Did it work to remove any remaining adhesive on the white layer?

Hoping to read your response.

Regards de Zor
Old Jun 26, 2008, 09:16 AM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pady
just got a Tower Hobbies Voyager 40 ARF, I like the plane, but the color looks really odd. I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white, and there are red and bule layers on the top of the white. please advice how to remove the red and bule layer without damage the bottom (white) Layer.
1 - Just imagine how difficult it would be to add the white to the the red or blue ....
--- Slide your fingers of the plane and you should be able to feel the layers on top.
--- If no layers, then the covering is prepainted.

2 - before you start heating and peeling, which by the way is not an easy thing to do,
--- pose the question: *What do I not like about the colouring scheme*.
--- Maybe adding more colour would help ? Easier to add, than to peel off.

3 - Why not fly her first *as is*? Then if you did not crash her, peel it all off and do your scheme.

LBNL, This is your first plane, I assume ? Better get together with an experienced pilot to help you. This is not an easy plane to learn on, although she is not half bad. If not your first, have fun.
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Last edited by indoruwet; Jun 26, 2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:14 AM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
hello everyone, I am new to this forum, and found tons of helpful info from here.

I just got a Tower Hobbies Voyager 40 ARF, I like the plane, but the color looks really odd. I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white, and there are red and bule layers on the top of the white. please advice how to remove the red and bule layer without damage the bottom (white) Layer.

Thanks

By the way, Just found a coupon for Towerhobbies.com takes $10 off when purchase over $49.99. use coupon code: 011yk. enjoy it.
pady,

When you write "I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white, and there are red and bule layers on the top of the white. "

Is it not "evident" just by looking at the airplane?
It is the words "I think" that bothers me.

Sonce "you just got it" you must have looked at it

Zor
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:06 AM
T.L.A.R. eng
Joined Nov 2005
205 Posts
Pady, when I first read the subject title, I thought there was a $10 off coupon under the covering [on the inside]?
What a novel approach for ARF manufacturers, if you crash, you reveal under the covering a $10 off coupon for the purchase of another ARF!!
Now that would be some interesting marketing strategy.............
T.L.A.R. eng is offline Find More Posts by T.L.A.R. eng
Old Jun 26, 2008, 11:29 AM
Joined Jun 2008
14 Posts
guys, thanks for the ideas ... I will give it a try.

About the coupon, I am just lazy to post another thread. nothing to do with marketing^^

the coupon not just for the ARF...it is for everything on towerhobbies, but i am not sure when it expires.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 01:21 PM
Joined Jun 2008
14 Posts
Zor,
what I mean here by "I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white: is refer to the whole bottom layer. I am not sure the white layer is cover all the way at the bottom or it stop somewhere in the red and blue.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 02:53 PM
God's gift to mankind for flying anything.
Joined Aug 2004
3,090 Posts
Quote:
what I mean here by "I think the bottom layer of MonoKote on the plane is white: is refer to the whole bottom layer. I am not sure the white layer is cover all the way at the bottom or it stop somewhere in the red and blue.
looking at the wings .... you may be right. They may have only placed white where the blue is.
On the tail, I think white base, then red and blue trim.
The fuse, they may have just partly covered with white and trimmed the rest. easy enough to do.

Just to satisfy my curiosity, what kind of covering scheme would you like to have ?
indoruwet is offline Find More Posts by indoruwet
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:27 PM
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
pady,

If you think the plane looks odd now wait until you have flown it for a while and have had to put it back together a few times. Besides after you get it up in the air no one will know what color it is. Fly it and enjoy it until you have some experience the buy a plane that doesn't look odd.

While taking off the top layer of monokote can be done, it has it's risks and is not worth the effort especially if the plane is airworthy as it is.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 04:42 PM
Joined Jun 2008
28 Posts
In response to Zor.

I really do have the experience and if you look at the original response I did say to use a heat gun. CA debonder will remove the adhesive and pigment that may be left when the top layer of monokote is removed.

Removing monokote is very simple if you have the experience and know how to keep things as cool as possible

I personally think it is a waste of time to do this to a perfectly good airplane.

I have been building and covering planes for over 65 years and am often asked to build and cover planes for other people. I could have all the work I could ever want but also enjoy flying. Covering is something I am good at and enjoy.

Good luck and happy landings.
Old Jun 26, 2008, 05:46 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Mar 2008
46 Posts
I've got the same plane. The covering doesn't stick very well to begin with. I don't care for the covering either, and plan to fly it this way just finishing up assembly. Typical Tower order has wrinkles all over it. So I was touching up the wrinkles with a heat gun set on medium and it would shrink much faster than Monokote. So I think it's is just a low temp covering that will easily come off by the steps outlined above. Adding more heat than you would for it's application, will shrink it and lift it, which almost happened to me doing the touch ups. Have fun. Personally, I'd dump all the wing covering and go with UltraCoat, but who knows how this thing flies and if all that work is worth it?
pt40 is offline Find More Posts by pt40
Old Jun 26, 2008, 07:44 PM
Zor
Suspended Account
Ontario,Canada
Joined Feb 2007
9,742 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwander
In response to Zor.

I really do have the experience and if you look at the original response I did say to use a heat gun. CA debonder will remove the adhesive and pigment that may be left when the top layer of monokote is removed.

Removing monokote is very simple if you have the experience and know how to keep things as cool as possible

I personally think it is a waste of time to do this to a perfectly good airplane.

I have been building and covering planes for over 65 years and am often asked to build and cover planes for other people. I could have all the work I could ever want but also enjoy flying. Covering is something I am good at and enjoy.

Good luck and happy landings.
Hello jwander,

Welcome to the "old time club"

You said "try to use a heat gun". To me it did not mean that is what you yourself were using. You also said to heat the glue side of the peeling layer. I can hardly see how you can direct the heat that accurately with a heat gun so I suspected you were using some other device.

I am curious, in the old times, 65 years ago you must have used tissue paper or cloth fabric and aircraft dope.

I would like to invite you to talk to us about your "Good Old Times". You must have some very fascinating experience from the old days.

Come and join the gang in this thread _ _ _
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=721700

and tell us about your adventure in the 1940s, 50s and thereafter.

Sure would like to see you there.

You will see pictures of the old radios, home made stuff and experimental contortions now in museums.

C U there,

With my best regards,

Zor