SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 06, 2009, 12:16 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdowning
Here's a dumb question. I've never done or used a tape hinge process. Could some one explain the process. Do you do it before the covering is done? Sorry guy's I've only done robarts and ca square hinges.

Another question What is the best way to wire the ESC have 2 or one? I like the idea for one.

Thanks
Marty
Tape hinges: first, cover the plane, then simply use packaging tape, about 1" wide. I apply to the aileron, then carefully line it up with the wind and stick it down. Make sure you leave enough room for the aileron to reach full travel. It goes really fast, may take a few tries to get it right, careful when pealing it off that you don't wreck your covering.

Castle Creations has a nice writeup on their web page. It boild down to two ESC's are the right way to go. If you insist on using one, then make sure you oversize the esc. I'm running one Castle Creations ESC and have had no problems.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 06, 2009, 01:00 PM
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Nov 2005
94 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTMich
Tape hinges: first, cover the plane, then simply use packaging tape, about 1" wide. I apply to the aileron, then carefully line it up with the wind and stick it down. Make sure you leave enough room for the aileron to reach full travel. It goes really fast, may take a few tries to get it right, careful when pealing it off that you don't wreck your covering.

Castle Creations has a nice writeup on their web page. It boild down to two ESC's are the right way to go. If you insist on using one, then make sure you oversize the esc. I'm running one Castle Creations ESC and have had no problems.

Thanks JimTMich, yes, I think I'm going with the one ESC It's double the size.
I'm going to use the Scorpion products for this bird, motors and ESC, I've been using AXI's but thought I would give the Scorpions a try.
mmmdowning is offline Find More Posts by mmmdowning
Old Jul 06, 2009, 08:01 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmdowning
I think I'm going with the one ESC It's double the size.
It boils down to whether you can get reliable motor starting. Some people report no problems and others can't get reliable start. (Across various configurations of ESC/motor/installation.)

In a brushed motor config there is no problem, but remember in a brushless configuration the ESC has to 'detect' the motor timing using the back-EMF. This is designed in the ESC on the basis that there is only one motor - with two motors connected the issue is what the resulting signals look like, and whether the ESC interprets them correctly...

My personal suspicion is that it depends on:

- how well the motors are actually matched (ie. how close to 'identical' they are)
- keeping the installation as symmetrical as possible
- a well designed ESC

So you may, or may not have success - but you do need to be able to get reliable motor start...

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Jul 06, 2009, 08:29 PM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Sep 2007
1,372 Posts
Great explanation Tim! Everything I've read agrees with you. I personally wouldn't chance one brushless ESC with two motors. Even slight differences in wire length could cause you problems. Better to use two controllers and cut the red wire to the receiver on one to disable its BEC.

Daniel
dswitkin is offline Find More Posts by dswitkin
Old Jul 07, 2009, 06:55 AM
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Nov 2005
94 Posts
Thank you Tim,
mmmdowning is offline Find More Posts by mmmdowning
Old Jul 09, 2009, 08:34 AM
Suffolk
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
Many thanks to ...

all who put the build log together as I was stalled for detail in building the 52".
Nice to know so much experiance and knowledge is out there over the pond.
Q1 to demonstrate my level, will I need a "V tail controller".

Peter.
nortonshed is offline Find More Posts by nortonshed
Last edited by nortonshed; Jul 09, 2009 at 08:42 AM.
Old Jul 09, 2009, 12:58 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonshed
all who put the build log together as I was stalled for detail in building the 52".
Nice to know so much experiance and knowledge is out there over the pond.
Q1 to demonstrate my level, will I need a "V tail controller".

Peter.
You will need a v mixer unless you have a computer radio. Most computer radios have v tail mixing built in, all you have to do is activate it. What radio do you have?
Old Jul 09, 2009, 01:54 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Speaking of being stalled, how did everybody build the aileron areas??
I am stumped. Nothing fits, no parts fit between the upper and lower wing parts. How did you guys do it?
Jim
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Jul 10, 2009, 05:07 AM
Suffolk
Joined Jul 2009
3 Posts
Thanks for the reply, currently no radio/reciever/ESC's/etc, just the 2 motors (from Nitroplanes) required early in the build, aileron servo panels left off as considering all hardware from 1 manufacturer to get round the connector problems, suggestions still welcome. Will go with the computor radio. Fusalage now while hardware list dealt with, using the kit list from earlier in this forum as guide.
nortonshed is offline Find More Posts by nortonshed
Last edited by nortonshed; Jul 11, 2009 at 08:00 AM.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:28 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark
Speaking of being stalled, how did everybody build the aileron areas??
I am stumped. Nothing fits, no parts fit between the upper and lower wing parts. How did you guys do it?
Jim
Are you refering to the rear carbon spar, balsa on top and bottom of spar and ribs and trailing edge and aileron? I got a little lost there as well, I couldn't tell the design intent.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 01:49 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
I have the wing built but I am stuck on the aileron area. I have found the upper and lower pieces in the box and their location on the plans. They will need massive sanding to go where they are supposed to. I get the impression that the top and bottom pieces sanwich a balsa length that buts up against the rear carbon fiber tube but have nothing in the box or on the plans to support that notion. Basically I am at a dead stop and have been for weeks as other aircraft get built around it.
Old Jul 10, 2009, 08:28 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
A photo of the offending area (wing as constructed so far) and the parts that are available might help with ideas.

It is sometimes easy to get the wrong end of the stick without a picture. So I thought that a picture may well help get the answers that you need...
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Jul 11, 2009, 12:49 AM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyshark
I have the wing built but I am stuck on the aileron area. I have found the upper and lower pieces in the box and their location on the plans. They will need massive sanding to go where they are supposed to. I get the impression that the top and bottom pieces sanwich a balsa length that buts up against the rear carbon fiber tube but have nothing in the box or on the plans to support that notion. Basically I am at a dead stop and have been for weeks as other aircraft get built around it.
I left that open. I see one of the other guys boxed it in. I like the way the boxed in aileron pocket looks better.
Old Jul 13, 2009, 02:48 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
464 Posts
Aileron help.

Hope this photo may help with your aileron servo install problem.
Andrew
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Old Jul 13, 2009, 12:41 PM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Thanks Eeley but I don't have a problem with the servos, they're already in. The problem is the structure of the aileron area itself. If I get a chance tonite I will shoot a couple of pics so everyone can see where I am hung up.