SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 21, 2009, 07:28 AM
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Nov 2005
94 Posts
Very nice looking kit. I'm going to order this now.
mmmdowning is offline Find More Posts by mmmdowning
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2009, 03:55 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
464 Posts
Congratulations Jim on the completeion and maiden of your bird. I am still waiting to maiden mine as the weather here has been less than favourable for the last 3 weeks. What did you cover yours in ? and what will you paint it with ?
Again Well Done!
Andrew
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
Old May 24, 2009, 09:07 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Thanks guys! It's no where near finished yet. So far it's covered with brown and clear ultracoat. No paint yet on mine. That is still to come.

I've got 8 flights on it now. The 8x6sf are definitely more appropriate than the 9x4.7sf with the 950kv motors on 3s. It has nice top speec, penetrate s the wind very nicly, looks fantastic in the air. Great unique park flyer.
The build is fun, it's Not a mountain models or stevens aero fast build, this requires fitting of the sheeting to look good and the beautiful curves take more care when covering than rectangle boxes. It's a great kit to stretch your modeling skills. Just take your time.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old May 25, 2009, 07:27 PM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Build package for sale

I have a complete build package for sale in the for sale section

If you are wanting to build one of these please consider helping me out.

Thanks,

Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Old Jun 04, 2009, 08:17 AM
Retired CFI Helicopter
Southeast PA
Joined Jun 2007
1,609 Posts
Relisted kit only

I just do not have the time to build this new unopened kit. I relisted the 52" kit ONLY for $120 shipped here

Hopefully I can save someone some $$.

6-28-2002 New Prices
Unopened kit for 52" Marston $100 plus new items to complete build:

2 each Atlas 2308/26 outrunners $30 each ($38.90 new)
4 each 6x5.5 thin electric props $1.50 each ($2.30 new)
1 each Thunder Power TP21003 3 cell 11.1 volt 2100mAh "light 145 grams" lipo pack $50 ($69.99 new)

Total package for $220 shipped or will sell any items seperatly plus shipping cost! This stuff cost me well over $300
Thanks!
Bob
Hughes500Bob is offline Find More Posts by Hughes500Bob
Last edited by Hughes500Bob; Jun 28, 2009 at 07:57 AM.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 04:40 AM
The Glider Version
Liverpool, Sydney
Joined Mar 2007
1,257 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeleyEagle
Congratulations Jim on the completeion and maiden of your bird. I am still waiting to maiden mine as the weather here has been less than favourable for the last 3 weeks. What did you cover yours in ? and what will you paint it with ?
Again Well Done!
Andrew
-
Just researching shapes for my next scratch built - something really different
to surprise them on the Slope.......and Andrew you already have one built.
dratts.......
Glenn.
flatstick is offline Find More Posts by flatstick
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:23 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
464 Posts
Maiden flight

Finally got to maiden my bird.
Flies like a dream but a fast one at that. Had to fly it at just under 1/4 throttle to keep the camera man happy.
Unfortunatey I have an unusal problem to solve as it ended my maiden flight with a crash and minor damage.
I stopped the motors for a glide past for the camera but when I applied power again only one motor started and screwed the bird down. Off with the power and levelled out. Applied power again and again screwed it down. Pulled power back but not enough height and it landed very awkardley. It broke both V-tail fins and a prop, thatís it. Now itís time to sort out why it did it. Both speed controllers are programmed identicle and joined by a Y-lead. The positive wire from 1 x speedie to throttle Y-lead was taken out to allow the BEC to work.
I have to commend Ron on a great design and I look forward to getting my bird back in the air soon.
Andrew
Old Jul 03, 2009, 11:51 AM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Well I have a few short flights but they are 100MB each and .mov files. How do I shrink these before I upload them?
Old Jul 03, 2009, 06:04 PM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
The best thing I found was an application called "ffmpeg" with a front end called "avanti". It converted the .mov into .avi (divx) with no apparent loss of quality and about 1/25 the size in a reasonable time.

They are easy to find on the net. I just installed avanti and then found the ffmpeg.exe application and dropped it into the same directory as avanti and it just worked. Run avanti, select the source material, specificy the destination file and format and process.

You can also drop the audio during the conversion if you want to.

It also does lots of video conversions and can produce things other than divx.

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Jul 04, 2009, 07:00 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
464 Posts
Problem solved Hopefully !!!!

May have solved my problem. I didn't calibrate the speed controllers did I . Now both motors start up at exactly the same time. Will try again tomorrow.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:07 AM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
May have solved my problem. I didn't calibrate the speed controllers did I . Now both motors start up at exactly the same time. Will try again tomorrow.
Glad to hear you got your dactyl up! Sorry about the crash! I'll have to remember that tidbit on calibrating if I ever change to two ESC's. Thanks for sharing.
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:08 AM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,414 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TugBoat
The best thing I found was an application called "ffmpeg" with a front end called "avanti". It converted the .mov into .avi (divx) with no apparent loss of quality and about 1/25 the size in a reasonable time.

They are easy to find on the net. I just installed avanti and then found the ffmpeg.exe application and dropped it into the same directory as avanti and it just worked. Run avanti, select the source material, specificy the destination file and format and process.

You can also drop the audio during the conversion if you want to.

It also does lots of video conversions and can produce things other than divx.

Tim
Thanks Tim! I'll look into that. It's funny that camera came with software and it won't recognize the movie format that the camera saves the files in. I'm new to digital video.....
Old Jul 04, 2009, 09:47 AM
NSW, Australia
Joined Jun 2003
1,224 Posts
Quote:
I didn't calibrate the speed controllers did I
There are a few things with two ESCs that are worth considering:

- If possible you want manually calibrated, or fixed endpoint ESCs. Ones with 'auto' calibration can get out of sync.

- You want to use 'soft voltage' limit. You don't want one of the ESCs suddenly stopping with 'low voltage' while the other is wizzing away...

Even so I am careful on the larger 'dactyl to put the power on gently, even with identical motors and identical ESCs the startup can sometimes be different.

Tim
TugBoat is offline Find More Posts by TugBoat
Old Jul 05, 2009, 02:53 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
464 Posts
Thanks Guys for the info. Put my dactyl back in the air today and it is just the greatsest thing, didn't know that prehistoric birds were fully aerobatic !!!!
I must say that it landed a lot faster than I expected. I too was careful with my throttle control and it paid off. I look forward to plenty more flights to come.
Andrew
Old Jul 06, 2009, 10:41 AM
Spotsylvania, VA
Joined Nov 2005
94 Posts
Here's a dumb question. I've never done or used a tape hinge process. Could some one explain the process. Do you do it before the covering is done? Sorry guy's I've only done robarts and ca square hinges.

Another question What is the best way to wire the ESC have 2 or one? I like the idea for one.

Thanks
Marty
mmmdowning is offline Find More Posts by mmmdowning