HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2012, 04:06 PM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xviper View Post
Mine is in the final stages of completion. Just got to size up some pushrods and then balance at the CG. Program the TX for rates and expo. Might be ready in a couple of days when I can find an hour to finish it up. Been flying so no time to build. I don't like building planes so I found it to be a tedious process. I'm really hoping it was all worth it.
Make sure you get the C of G right and you will be a happy pilot. This is a great model to have in your collection. It is definately worth the build process (which I enjoy).
Andrew
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2012, 05:22 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeleyEagle View Post
Make sure you get the C of G right and you will be a happy pilot. This is a great model to have in your collection. It is definately worth the build process (which I enjoy).
Andrew
Thanks. According to the instructions, the CG is in the middle of the front spare. Is this still correct? Some models don't seem to adhere to the published CG and must be moved fore or aft a bit to fly right.
xviper is offline Find More Posts by xviper
Old Aug 05, 2012, 03:05 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
463 Posts
I forget what version of the Kit build number I have but what ever it said about C of G location ,it was spot on. I will have to refer to them againg once finished.
Andrew
Old Aug 05, 2012, 09:57 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Mine is the 52" balsa version and it says the middle of the front spar so that's what I'll go with. I elected to install the servos on the tail rather than having very long control rods, so I'm having to add much more weight to the head. I may regret that move.
I originally ordered the foam one but decided it didn't have the "look". Marston was generous enough to send me the balsa kit and deduct the cost of the foam plans from it. The 80" one is just too big for me.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 02:40 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
463 Posts
[QUOTE=xviper;22361213 I elected to install the servos on the tail rather than having very long control rods, so I'm having to add much more weight to the head. I may regret that move..[/QUOTE]

I think you are right ! I had no trouble with the long pushrods.

Andrew
Old Aug 06, 2012, 05:10 PM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Well, maidened "Pteri" this morning. It flew wonderfully. Balanced as per instructions and needed a couple clicks of down trim to level out. Launched with ease, does loops, rolls nicely and had this really eerie whistling sound on a high speed fly by. Belly lands so nice. It even glides not too badly, either. On a 2200 mah 3s battery, I can get about 7 minutes of safe flight time.
Second flight, the same. No problems, no incidents. Wind was a slight breeze but because of the sleek design and the power of it, I think it should be able to handle some wind no problem. It was a real eye catcher at the field. Several vids taken but none by me so will have to wait till they edit and put on YouTube, then I'll post here. One fellow was so taken by it, he's going to get the 80" one.
The only thing I'm going to change on it is to install an ON/OFF battery switch on the side of the body so it's not powered up the whole time I'm putting the wing on and until I get the wing off. The tail servo weight and the additional weight in the head didn't appear to affect the flying characteristics at all. She's a thing of beauty.
Old Aug 06, 2012, 06:49 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,397 Posts
Glad to hear it went well. I agree that this plane handles wind wonderfully. I like the idea of the battery cutoff as it does take a minute to put the wing on while armed.

All,
With. The 80" version having a breakdown wing, I don't see wingspan as a reason to stop someone from building the 80" version. Just build time and landing room...
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Aug 07, 2012, 12:32 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2009
6,692 Posts
Here's one of those vids:

RC Dinosaur! Pterodactyls fly again! (1 min 35 sec)
Old Aug 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Couldn't resist getting creative with the camera on my my 52" Marston Pterodactyl

Enjoy

From a Dinosaur's View - 52" Marston's RC Pterodactyl - Head Shot - Leicestershire UK (3 min 22 sec)
mjc1970 is offline Find More Posts by mjc1970
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:45 PM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,839 Posts
Great vid! And I have never heard that song before either. Interesting.
I really like your idea of having the eyes light up to show the battery's connected.
If you don't mind, I'd like to copy your idea on mine when I build it.
builderdude is offline Find More Posts by builderdude
Old Aug 12, 2012, 02:00 AM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude View Post
Great vid! And I have never heard that song before either. Interesting.
I really like your idea of having the eyes light up to show the battery's connected.
If you don't mind, I'd like to copy your idea on mine when I build it.
Thanks for the feedback builderdude, glad you liked the video and my Ptero eyes! Be my guest and copy my idea! Look forward to hear of how you get on. Good luck and enjoy.
mjc1970 is offline Find More Posts by mjc1970
Old Aug 12, 2012, 06:59 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,397 Posts
Great video
JimTMich is online now Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Aug 12, 2012, 09:10 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjc1970 View Post
Thanks for the feedback builderdude, glad you liked the video and my Ptero eyes! Be my guest and copy my idea! Look forward to hear of how you get on. Good luck and enjoy.
Thanks!
I don't have the kit yet, but it's on my "Christmas list".
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:18 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
463 Posts
All fixed up.

Well mine is fully repaired and ready to go again. Can,t believe I left it 2 years to fix it. All done in less than a week of nights. Will re-maiden it soon and report back.
Andrew
Old Aug 22, 2012, 10:26 AM
United States, TX
Joined Jun 2011
2,839 Posts
How much would you say the entire Ptero cost to build, start to finish? Include motors and electronics please.