HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2012, 05:19 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Coffs Harbour NSW Australia
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
As can be seen by the photo, mine needs a little TLC. It sits up on the bench waiting for its turn to come around. Hopefully sooner rather than later as it is a great machine that grabs lots of attention. This was the result of a Pilot Error.
Andrew

PS. Click on article photo twice to open it to a larger image to read article if needed.
EeleyEagle is offline Find More Posts by EeleyEagle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:34 AM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,370 Posts
Nice article. Sorry about the crash. Looks repairable.
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jan 27, 2012, 10:38 AM
South of Boston, Ma.
Joined Mar 2004
1,273 Posts
Aww, that will buff out...
Skyshark is offline Find More Posts by Skyshark
Old Jan 27, 2012, 01:35 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EeleyEagle View Post
As can be seen by the photo, mine needs a little TLC. It sits up on the bench waiting for its turn to come around. Hopefully sooner rather than later as it is a great machine that grabs lots of attention. This was the result of a Pilot Error.
Andrew

PS. Click on article photo twice to open it to a larger image to read article if needed.
Looks about the same as mine at the moment.
RCPtero is offline Find More Posts by RCPtero
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:18 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,370 Posts
What caused your damage guys?

Tip, when landing, stay active on the ailerons, keep the bird flat in roll, about a foot off the ground, as you bleed off speed, the bird will sink, add elevator to maintain altitude eventually you will be full up elevator and it will settle into a nice landing...
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:21 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Bad CG or trim and she nosed in. Snapped neck and tails off. Had several bad attempts. Did finally get a decent flight, but the snagged some weeds on the side of the runway. I plan to rebuild her body from scratch in the next month or so. I want her ready for SEFF.
--
Tom
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:30 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,370 Posts
Have you contacted pertoworks? He might be able to sell laser cutbalsa for a new fuse even though it isn't listed on his web page. Its worth a try.
Old Jan 27, 2012, 09:42 PM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
I was flying low when I decided to watch another pilot out of the corner of my eye and I guess the aileron fingers followed my eyes and she rolled in. It was flying exceptionally well to. Never had a problem landing it except needing lots of runway as she always came in hot even with no throttle.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Well after nearly 12 months since the Ptero arrived on my front door step, the day finally arrived where I thought yes, today is the day to maiden her! Walking the dogs at 7am this morning without a breath of wind and a crisp sunny sunrise, I decided yeah the time was right.

I loaded her into my car along with a few other models and set out on what I hoped would be an uneventful mornings flying. On arrival at the field, I decided to warm up with my other models before finally going for it. My flying buddies asked if I'd had a photo with it first (hmmm were they not very confident it would return in one piece??), so I decided to pose with the bird first off.

3S 2200mAh battery installed, I did a range check and checked all the control surfaces once again and then ventured out onto the strip where I hand launched the Pterodactyl into it's maiden flight. Wow! Straight up she went and not a word of a lie, but she didn't require any trim on any of the channels. I was stunned in how true and well she flew. I did numerous circuits before landing just short of five minutes. The landing was pretty fast, but no damage was done. What surprised me however, when I checked the battery, the meter showed there was still 82% of charge left in the pack! 18% for 5 minutes flight! This was one truly happy maiden and the sense of achievement was fantastic given the many hours I'd spent carefully building this beast!

Not content with just one flight, 30 minutes later, I took a fresh 2200 pack and flew the Pterodactyl for just short of 9 minutes this time. This time, I'd increased the rates and expo slightly, but again she flew like a dream in the 5-8mph wind. Checking the battery this time once landed, and I still had 65% of charge left. She flies around on a quarter throttle easily.

I'm just processing a video of the maiden flight now, but should have this uploaded tomorrow, so will share that on my youTube channel and blog.

I can't wait to fly her again and would recommend this kit for somebody who wants a good challenge.

Top marks Ron Marston!

http://mjc70.blogspot.com/search/lab...dactyl%20Build
http://www.youtube.com/user/mjc1970tube?feature=mhee
mjc1970 is offline Find More Posts by mjc1970
Old Feb 26, 2012, 07:59 PM
God is my pilot
Joined Aug 2006
2,370 Posts
glad to hear it went well. I usually fly mine with 3s1000 or 1300. She is A very smooth bird.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 02:15 AM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Thanks Jim. I'll try a smaller battery next time.

Anyway, as promised, here's the maiden video. We'll try to get some closer in footage next time, but you should get a very good impression of how well she flies.

Enjoy!

Marston's 52' RC Pterodactyl Maiden LMAC Leicestershire. (5 min 14 sec)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 04:41 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
Congrats on the success of your bird.It is worth the build all right. I noticed that yours has the same resinence sound coming from the airframe as mine does. I also run a 3s 2200mAh pack but have never run them flat as I like to land with power for a controlled approach. Well done with the build. What covering did you use ? Mine is almost the same colour and orientation is difficult when flown too far away. Enjoy.
Andrew ( who needs to get his back on the fix-it board and into the air.)
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:08 PM
Leicester, UK
Joined Sep 2010
106 Posts
Thanks Eeley. The covering is transparent Profilm (Yellow for the wing and green for the body, although in sunlight they look pretty well the same). What you don't see on the video and even though it was fairly bright day are the two red LED's which I've installed for the eyes.

All good fun!

Enjoy!
Old Feb 28, 2012, 04:50 AM
SINK HAPPENS !!!!
Joined May 2006
452 Posts
MCJ,
Mine was Profilm as well except for it all being transaprent green. LED eyes are a nice touch.
Old Mar 05, 2012, 05:47 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,406 Posts
Significant progress made on my new head/neck construction and transplant...

--
Tom