SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:07 AM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
Discussion
Flyingfoams 83" Mothership

hi, im seeking info from anyones whose flown a Flyingfoams 83" Mothership " http://www.flyingfoam.com/products.html " ,photos would be cool too. the all EPP version interests me, i bet this sucker make a nice AP setup huh? info on what motors an battery size be nice also. Thanks , rc
rcairplains is offline Find More Posts by rcairplains
Last edited by rcairplains; Jun 25, 2008 at 08:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
Minneapolis Mn
Joined Jan 2003
898 Posts
Got one & love it... It's got an AXI motor setup with a 40A speed control. It takes 10 C cell batteries in the nose and a little weight to get the balance point correct. It sure likes to fly high so IMHO would be great for AP.
jimklein is online now Find More Posts by jimklein
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:46 PM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimklein
Got one & love it... It's got an AXI motor setup with a 40A speed control. It takes 10 C cell batteries in the nose and a little weight to get the balance point correct. It sure likes to fly high so IMHO would be great for AP.

hi, cool, got any pics? what all differant kinds of battery packs you reckon work with it? or packs your useing most likely better than other set ups ? Thanks for letting me pick yer brain bro im interested in one, seems cooler than a ritewing 50 that i was thinking about rc
Old Jun 25, 2008, 02:12 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcairplains
hi, cool, got any pics? what all differant kinds of battery packs you reckon work with it? or packs your useing most likely better than other set ups ? Thanks for letting me pick yer brain bro im interested in one, seems cooler than a ritewing 50 that i was thinking about rc
What about the TL60 from what we have seen they do real good for AP.. and before you ask.. Nope i have no pic's just reporting on what i have read
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:05 PM
Ellsworht,MI
Joined Oct 2002
26 Posts
I have had the Mother ship for a couple years now. It is a great flying plane(wing), using a Fun500 geared motor,12 cell batery pack, 12x6 folding prop. It climbs out at at about 35 deg. and will be out os sight in no time on 450 watts. AUW is 6 lbs.
Jim Maine is offline Find More Posts by Jim Maine
Old Jun 25, 2008, 11:21 PM
resU deretsigeR
Dublin Ca
Joined Aug 2004
7,787 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Maine
I have had the Mother ship for a couple years now. It is a great flying plane(wing), using a Fun500 geared motor,12 cell batery pack, 12x6 folding prop. It climbs out at at about 35 deg. and will be out os sight in no time on 450 watts. AUW is 6 lbs.
Not bad...
PaulVi is offline Find More Posts by PaulVi
Old Jun 26, 2008, 12:08 AM
That's me.
San Francisco Area, CA
Joined Jan 2008
930 Posts
Whoa that thing is huge! I'd love to see some video!
R/C_Addict is offline Find More Posts by R/C_Addict
Old Jun 26, 2008, 10:22 AM
United States, MN, Apple Valley
Joined Jan 2004
2,104 Posts
Here are some pics of jimklein (my dad's) mothership...
mattk0 is online now Find More Posts by mattk0
Old Jun 27, 2008, 06:26 PM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
hi, nice plane, thanks for the pic's, i bet it was lots of FUN to fly, probley freaked the birds out . rc
Old Jun 29, 2008, 02:55 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Love my MotherShip! Here's some pics and a link to a vid I did a couple yrs ago, when I was running it on 3s2p. I run it on 6s1p now and it's a rocket at 100 mph level flight. I did away with all the above surface mounting hardware and buried everything. It's a very good floater also. Oh..did I mention that it's built the RiteWay?

Mando....

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ndo+mothership
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Jun 29, 2008, 08:53 PM
Where the hell is Biggles
Upstate New York
Joined Mar 2005
215 Posts
That is beautifull !
That must have taken a few rolls of Henry's and a case of 3M 90, ( $$$$ )
What motor/prop are you using ?
Nederland is offline Find More Posts by Nederland
Old Jun 29, 2008, 09:36 PM
BlueGrass Rules
United States, IL, Dahlgren
Joined Nov 2003
1,097 Posts
Thanks for the comps!
* 6 lbs. 7 oz.
* 6s1p 4800 bats
* Mega 22/45/3E
* 12x6 APC prop
mando is offline Find More Posts by mando
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:30 PM
ImNotAPilotIJustPlay1onTV
Reno, NV
Joined Feb 2003
781 Posts
Here's mine:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=208

Look at my later posts, as I changed the motor/prop combo
karakoram is offline Find More Posts by karakoram
Old Jul 02, 2008, 12:36 PM
Joined Jan 2008
426 Posts
hi, thats UBER COOL brothers, LOL. both you guys have COOL Motherships, hows yours fly Mando? did you get yours going Karakoram? you guys put a lot of work into your paint jobs, i bet they "turn heads" when you drag those outta the truck,LOL. id sure like to fly a Mothership, just might get me one,beings i got my 'stmulus tax 'check,LOL. what size servos you guys useing?

THANKS for pic's Mando, rc
Old Jul 02, 2008, 05:16 PM
ImNotAPilotIJustPlay1onTV
Reno, NV
Joined Feb 2003
781 Posts
Mine is flying well, however, I think I have a motor thrustline issue. I am porpoising too much. Its a bit hard to tell because the Mothership reacts much slower than a 'standard' size wing.

I recommend you go with a large prop and slow kv outrunner. Don't go 4s like I did (I only did that because I had a lot of 4s batteries I couldn't use for anything else).

I was originally going to do 4 servos -- HS 225 (I think they are MG), and go with a crow flap type of deal, but I did not do that. Instead, I just went with 2 HS225 servos standard Elevon arrangement. The MS glides forever, and doesn't need flaps, and it can fly slow. Mine is setup very light, and my power system is designed to fly it slow but with lots of thrust (climbing power), and low amp draw. I was using it for Aerial Photos.

I still have 2 HS225 servos new in box, if you want to buy them.

My paint job is actually super light/thin iron on on the bottom (the red, and the silver) and iron on on top at the center section (silver). The patchwork colors are regular wing colored tape. This was easier/quicker/cheaper than using iron on to get that color scheme.

I designed my MS to break down into 3 big parts.

This is because I never make large multi piece wings as 2 pieces-- always 3, because the center joint has the highest stress, so its much lighter/stronger to leave the center intact and make the wings come apart futhur outboard.
karakoram is offline Find More Posts by karakoram
Last edited by karakoram; Feb 19, 2009 at 02:34 AM.