Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 03, 2008, 09:00 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Status update

Good news, boards are on the move again. Not sure when they'll land in AU or how long it'll take to clear customs (since it'll be the weekend) but all going "super well" things should arrive Monday or Tuesday.

Paul.
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 05, 2008, 05:15 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Shipping Update

PCB's have arrived in Australian and have been cleared by Customs - so, things going well, we might actually see them arrive on Monday (which will make me a very happy man).

Paul.
Old Jul 05, 2008, 05:41 PM
United States, CA, Bishop
Joined Aug 2006
94 Posts
Thanks

With a vague interest in the topic (I destroyed a newly-built Dodgson Pivot with a switch problem six years ago) I found myself reading the entire thread and watching the video. Your dedication and openness to feedback are so impressive, to say nothing of your skills. Now I think I want a switch for the DL-50 I just started building. Thankyou for your work.
gregory smith is offline Find More Posts by gregory smith
Old Jul 05, 2008, 07:43 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Gregory,

Many thanks for your positive words. I do try to make these developments as 'open' as possible because invariably, being a "1 man show", I cannot cover everything when it comes to ideas.

This morning alas I awoke thinking that I was 24hrs ahead in time - sadly it turns out it's Sunday today, not Monday, so no deliveries

Looks like I'll just have to twiddle thumbs for another day, perhaps go build and fly some planes instead.

Paul.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 07:55 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
As you all can probably guess from the lack of photos and/or exuberent chatter from oneself, the PCBs did not arrive today. They're somewhere here in Australia but they're certainly not here on my desk.

Let's hope tomorrow there's a prompt delivery, rather than wringing it out till nearly 5pm close.

Paul.
Old Jul 07, 2008, 11:47 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
PCB's have arrived

Have already built a 1A and 5A version, taken photos...
Old Jul 08, 2008, 01:50 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Units all now available for purchase at;

http://nqrc.com/?page=products&catagory=electronics

Please note that there's three varieties of each, namely;

* OL = Outside facing LED, eg the LED is on the same side of the board as the jumper
* IL = Inside facing LED, eg, LED is on the main component side
* NL = NO LED installed

Product codes are;
PLD-ESJ-1A-NL
PLD-ESJ-1A-IL
PLD-ESJ-1A-OL

PLD-ESJ-5A-NL
PLD-ESJ-5A-IL
PLD-ESJ-5A-OL

Paul.
Old Jul 08, 2008, 08:26 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Question to everyone

With the 5A ESJ's, clearly the default 24~26AWG servo type wire won't tollerate 5A constant across it without warming up quite a lot (short bursts are fine though, however you'll see a voltage drop across the wire quite potentially).

So, I'm wondering if people would rather receive their 5A ESJ's with 22AWG high flex silicone wire (the same sort that's used on the 5A ESCs that I sell).

Regards,
Paul.
Old Jul 10, 2008, 10:49 PM
Where'd The Wise Men Go?!?
United States, NE, Bellevue
Joined Sep 2007
2,968 Posts
Quick Question...
I've not gotten a DLG yet that warranted one of these switch jacks. But would love to put one in my Gambler. I've seen a few other people using them and really like the idea/concept.
Everyone that I have seen has had a red "Remove Before Flight" streamer attached. Any idea on where I can locate those??
AC5FF is offline Find More Posts by AC5FF
Old Jul 10, 2008, 11:14 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Hi there AC5FF,

Not sure where you can get them pre-printed, though I'm sure a simple red ribbon would work.

I'm supplying the ESJ's with a premade 2 pin jumper (as you can see in the photos), this has a built in 220R resistor as apposed to a dead-short and is then filled with hotglue and covered with heatshrink, but people are free to make up their own if they want it to look different or such, just remember to put a small resistor between the two pins, anything over 100R is fine.

Paul
Old Nov 09, 2008, 08:40 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
For those of you coming from the switch-jack discussion, here's a couple of "installed" photos.

The biggest problem overall for this sort of setup is the bulk of the round switchjack system, which is why I went with the tiny 2-pin 2.54mm pitch system, that allowed me to fly a week or two with my lipo pack, then pop the canopy and charge it directly again.

I'd be interested to hear any new ideas on how to keep things light, compact and effective.

Paul.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 08:41 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Incidently, the 4.0g posted weight on the scales is because I've got 20AWG high flex leads on there (it's a 10A rated switch for powering the actual motor/ESC in the plane), as apposed to the normal 24~26AWG used on DLGs.

Paul.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:24 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Australia, VIC, Macleod
Joined Sep 2003
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels

I'd be interested to hear any new ideas on how to keep things light, compact and effective.

Paul.
Paul,

Under the heading of effective... It would be very useful if you could design this switch to enable charging through the removeable jumper (for DLG in my case). This would mean that I wouldn't have to open the canopy/pod to charge the battery.

Cheers
Dean
Dean.roberts is offline Find More Posts by Dean.roberts
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:29 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,394 Posts
Hi there Dean, nice to see you

The design itself won't need to change (thank goodness) but the trick is finding a suitable connector. that'll do the job which fills the criterion of;

* light weight
* physically small
* polarized
* 3 pins (or 2 pin + ground/shield)
* low cost (well, $1 or so at the most in lots of 10).

One thing I'm still waiting to get parts for is the magnetic-reed switch option. That is, there's no external on/off, instead you just keep a magnet in the presence of the reed and it stays off. Then you can use a 2 pin polarized connector (something like a 1.6~2.5mm jack?) for the charging.

Paul.
Old Nov 09, 2008, 09:43 PM
a.k.a. GlideZilla
Australia, VIC, Macleod
Joined Sep 2003
203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pldaniels
* polarized
G'day Paul,

Ahhh of course - polarised. I hadn't thought of that issue which is a problem with using the existing jumper for charging.

Cheers
Dean
Dean.roberts is offline Find More Posts by Dean.roberts