HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2008, 07:32 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Australia, QLD, Charters Towers
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Okay, I've revised the shape/area of the units and I think I can now cram in both the 1A and 5A units onto the same PCB run. At the moment the board areas look to be -

1A: 12.5mm x 7.5mm (0.5" x 0.3")
5A: 12.5mm x 9.5mm (0.5" x 0.3625")
PLD is offline Find More Posts by PLD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2008, 01:25 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Have a slightly revised pair of boards that I'm going to etch up today. The main advantage of the new boards is more of a technical assembly one for myself.

Again I had a think about the charge cable/port option but again I've come to the conclusion that it's best done by Y-splitting the lead from the power pack.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:12 AM
Haute-Savoie, France
Joined Feb 2006
302 Posts
Nice work, but where you put the jumper on your "second revision of the prototypes"?
Erik.R is offline Find More Posts by Erik.R
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:14 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Erik,

It's on the 'backside'. If you look at the etched boards (before components) you can see the two drill holes for where the jumper socket will be inserted.

The reason why it's on the non-component side is so that it can sit as flush as possible with the fuselage.

Incidently, I've dispatched the PCB files to the factory... here's hoping in a couple of weeks we'll have properly fabricated boards
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:27 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Here's a couple of photos at angles that show things off a bit better.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:40 AM
Haute-Savoie, France
Joined Feb 2006
302 Posts
thanks for the pics.
Just an idea, you should make these with a built in 5v regulator for lipo 2s, that way we won't need to daisy chain the units hence having a greater risk of failure (due to all the connections).
Erik.R is offline Find More Posts by Erik.R
Old Jun 25, 2008, 07:44 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Erik,

Yes, already been thinking about that In fact, I was talking to someone the other day and said something like "It won't be long now - people will put two and two together and come up with the ESJ + BAC combo requirement"

With the ESJ+BAC setup, I'd probably run a small fly-lead for the socket as it's not going to be always easy to mount the BAC directly against the fuselage in a convenient location.

Most likely I'd recommend that people who use the ESJ with a BAC, they'd be well advised to solder together the output of the ESJ to the input of the BAC (I'd even be happy to supply heatshrink for the job with the ESJ).

Paul.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:23 AM
London
Joined Apr 2004
698 Posts
Another great little unit Paul, I have one of your BACs. Just a suggestion, why not put the LED on the other side of the board (same side as the jumper) so people could put small hole in the fuse and see the LED if they wished?

M
MikeHLG is online now Find More Posts by MikeHLG
Old Jun 25, 2008, 08:26 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Small video uploaded of the ESJ being used -

http://www.pldaniels.com/flying/vide...SJ-002-360x288
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:11 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Mike,

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHLG
Another great little unit Paul, I have one of your BACs. Just a suggestion, why not put the LED on the other side of the board (same side as the jumper) so people could put small hole in the fuse and see the LED if they wished?

M
Good idea that. I've ammended the submitted GERBER files and hopefully the PCB factory can 'stop-press' the job and use the ammended one.

Paul.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 09:14 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Sad to say but tonight it seems like there's wave after wave of internet failures occuring in the path between my hosted WWW machine (colo) and the rest of the world. Time I went and found myself a more reliable colo service
Old Jun 25, 2008, 10:52 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
PCB accepted by factory

Both PCBs have been accepted, including the LED-on-opposite-face revision (thanks Mike). In hindsight, I could have actually still made it so that the LED was visible simply by bringing the 2-pin socket to the component side - the trouble with that though was that it then took away about 1.5mm of depth for the socket and there might have been some issues with the disarming jumper not being able to fit in and still obtain a good mating.

Paul.
Old Jun 25, 2008, 06:36 PM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Wiring for the 5A class ESJ

As the larger ESJ can cope with a lot more current, I was thinking of supplying them with bare 22AWG high flex silicone wiring. With suitable wire and a suitable part this board can be configured to cope with a lot more current - though I think if you're using more than 5A constant in your plane for servos etc, it might be time to relook at things
Old Jun 26, 2008, 08:27 AM
PLD
Magicsmoke maker
Joined Dec 2003
17,385 Posts
Another avenue to persue

I'm going to make up a unit tomorrow that'll allow me to charge and turn on/off my whole electric setup in my small Cessna. Since the Cessna only draws about 2A at full throttle I'll use a 5A rated MOSFET switch and see how things go. I can go as far as 20A on the current PCBs, so I'd probably call those "10A" class, since at 10A I would be still only dissipating 260mW of heat, well within the package abilities but if I go to 20A it skyrockets to just over 1000mW.

Obviously this doesn't really fall into the HLG/DLG/Slope/Thermal realm but I thought I would let everyone know Beyond the 10A/20A limits of this board I could start doubling/tripling things up and going all crazy with excessive engineering