HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 03, 2010, 11:31 PM
Sic itur ad Astra
United Arab Emirates, Abu Dhabi, Abu Dhabi
Joined Aug 2009
1,605 Posts
Thanks Hotrodblazer.
I have seen lots of comments regarding the CofG so I was expecting to have fun with that. Especially now I can physically see the size of that rear end / fin and feel its weight. Putting the battery in the cowl sounds like a good idea and i'll keep in mind your comments about the servo's / control linkages ( one of the reasons for my original question came about after I saw the thickness of the bowden cable for elevator & rudder.
I hate the thought of adding lead!
Sparks
sparks59 is offline Find More Posts by sparks59
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 08, 2010, 02:04 PM
Joined Dec 2009
37 Posts
This baby just won't cut it on a grass field. Noses over part way on takeoff run due somewaht to added weight in cowl (to balance at the 38mm mark) and the grass. Will wait until later in the summer when the grass all but disappears at the club. Tarmac almost a must for this one.
gingerama is offline Find More Posts by gingerama
Old Aug 23, 2010, 12:36 PM
Joined Dec 2009
37 Posts
At our club scale contest there was a 1/4 scale Geebee, Great Planes ARF. It was a real hit flying on 10s li-ion and a 230kv Turnigy. Unlike the one discussed here the sucessful balance point was per the plans.
gingerama is offline Find More Posts by gingerama
Old Aug 31, 2010, 08:00 AM
Aeromodels, Ultra light pilot
Belgium
Joined Mar 2009
6 Posts
Modified Gee bee

Hi all, mine has done his maiden flight one year ago and it is still alive ...
CG at 18-20% and modified gear about 1.5in. longer and moved forward.
Fly fast enough for me with a 1450kv 300w, 3S2200, 9*6.
I am flying from a grass runway !!
OO-TOF is offline Find More Posts by OO-TOF
Old Aug 31, 2010, 01:49 PM
Buildin'em and flyin'em
United States, NY, Erie
Joined Dec 2007
447 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OO-TOF View Post
CG at 18-20% and modified gear about 1.5in. longer and moved forward.
and without those landing gear changes its almost impossible to land without nosing over.
JaggedEdge is online now Find More Posts by JaggedEdge
Old Jan 09, 2011, 03:50 PM
United States, MD, Baltimore
Joined May 2007
126 Posts
Did anyone who revieved this kit from Hobby4less get the one with a hatch on top
and no cutout on the bottom for the wings? By this I mean the aluminium tube slides through the fuselage and the wings bolt to the outside of the fusealge?
The manual is totally different than the kit I got. Any Help?
flyerdave is offline Find More Posts by flyerdave
Old Nov 04, 2011, 10:56 AM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Hello,

i'am glad to find such a thread about Gee Bee.
i would lilke to know what best set up must be used with it, because i just bought a 39" 1005 mm wingspan Gee Bee from Hobby King, and i am looking for the right set up.
i was thinking about a Turnigy 3536 1800kv Brushless.

Thanks for any help.
jnogier is offline Find More Posts by jnogier
Last edited by jnogier; Nov 04, 2011 at 11:39 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 12:53 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,231 Posts
I skimmed over this entire thread and it was a stroll down memory lane. I designed and built a P-26 Peashooter for the first design and build contest. 44 inch wingspan, traditional stick model structure, and tried various Scorpion motors, 2200 mah 3S lipos and 11x7 GWS direct drive props. Initially, I mounted the lipo pack right behind the firewall and had a barely successful maiden with a Scorpion 2215-22. I gradually increased Scorpion motor size and power having most success with a Scorpion 3008-32 but had to fly at 2/3 throttle for cruising flight and handn't enough power for loops and rolls. I finally tried a much larger heavier Scorpion 3014-1040 and moved the 2200 3S lipo to the bottom of wing center section. This didn't work out cg wise and finally relocated pack in back of the firewall. It flew but tended to fall out of the air on landing. I finally decided to make the model look pretty and retired it for posterity. The motor is now in my Tritle Stinson Reliant. Lessons learned, Too little wing area for overall weight of model and drag of large radial engine, ring cowl, landing gear leggings and wheel pants, and dummy rigging wires. Weight of largest heaviest motor and 35C 3S lipo pack did not help flying performance, made it worse. There was a "sweet spot " with the 3008-32 motor and battery pack behind the firewall where model flew best but never was able to do loops or rolls without a tendency to stall. Short nosed models, with battery pack located ahead of the wing, have critical cg issues until you hit just the right balance point. Next, Park Zone will probably come out with a foamy Gee Bee R2 or P-26 for the masses that flies "right out of the box".

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...+26+peashooter

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=peashooter
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Last edited by E-Challenged; Nov 04, 2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 04, 2011, 05:52 PM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
The Gee Bee i bought is the newest from HK:
Spec:
Material: Fiberglass Fuselage / Balsa wings
Wingspan: 1005mm
Length: 610mm
Wing Area: 17dm sq
Wing Loading: 70.6g/dm2
Flying Weight: 1100g

Nothing is suggested for the electric set up for it.

The old one, which is now replaced by the Gee Bee i bought, was supposed to be used with this set up:

Spec.
Material: Fiberglass Fuselage / Balsa wings
Wingspan: 1036mm
Length: 623mm
Wing Area: 21dm sq.
Height: 250mm
Airfoil: NACA2416
Flying Weight: 1200g (depending on battery/motor used)

Power System required (Sold separately).
Prop: 7060 minimum Diameter
Motor: 35-30 or larger outrunner 1700kv+
ESC: 30A +
Battery: 1600mAh 3S +
Servos: 9g ~20g

So i was thinking i could use something similar because there is not a very big difference between them.

May be i can try something with less power and less weight, i have a brand new Leopard 2445 4500 kv that i wanted to use on a boat with 2S Lipo.

Ok i found everything about it here in this thread on page 16, thanks to Hotrodblazer !

EDIT 04 01 2012:

i bought a 3536 RAY bruhless motor:
. RAY CD3536/05
. KV : 1450
. 400W
. 40 A/60s

Tried it on a multiplex skycat racer and it's fast and powerfull, now waiting to try it on the Gee Bee !!!
Last edited by jnogier; Jan 04, 2012 at 04:21 PM.
Old Jan 05, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined May 2011
12 Posts
Here it is, the CG just need to be adjusted and it will fly...i hope :

Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:38 PM
Joined Sep 2008
112 Posts
New GeeBee kit

This one a lot lighter and spare parts available.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBTA&P=7
abbydawn is offline Find More Posts by abbydawn
Old Mar 28, 2012, 05:38 PM
Glow 😡 no no no
Australia, SA, Evanston Park
Joined Mar 2010
4,846 Posts
I just picked one up at a swap meet, it would never had flown with the set up it had in it, it had 3 50-60 gram servo's, motor was a turnigy 5055-400 with a 9x8 prop and a 60 amp esc, I guess the battery was 3 or maybe 4s.

I bought it for what was in it not for the plane, I weighed the fuz alone and it topped in a nearly 1200grams.
aeromaniac is offline Find More Posts by aeromaniac
Old Jun 12, 2012, 07:48 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
New hk gee bee replaces fly fly gee bee?

This is a great thread in that so much work was done to the point where cg really became the big issue with this plane as it is with all aircraft, just perhaps not as finite an issue as with the glorious gee bee. Thanks to the pioneers who had to find out the hard way. What were the granville bros and co. thinking when they made such a plane? Speed, of course.
I too am enthralled, have the new gee bee from hk as described by jnogier above. If you input its details into web-o-calc it is described as a brick and probably unflyable. Hence the romanticism.

http://flbeagle.rchomepage.com/softw...lc_metric.html

Well I guess that is it. Why would you go on, up to 1600 grams high wing loading and a squat length to deal with.

I have started with the battery mounting beneath the motor into the cowl, 4S and a higher kv than mostly used here, possibly even what was mentioned as the manufacture's suggestion 1700 plus. So possibly heading up in the 600 watt direction.

I am only new to this hobby about a year now and probably should not even consider such a plane.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:14 PM
Singapore, Singapore
Joined Jun 2012
2,035 Posts
I just got this from a flying buddy. I too probably shouldn't be attempting to fly this brick off of a bumpy grass field. But I've always wanted a Geebee...

This thread is invaluable, looks like only 2 flyers managed to get it to fly, and then not without significant modifications.

Time for some homework
rayonnair is offline Find More Posts by rayonnair
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:10 AM
The Sequel
Australia, VIC
Joined Sep 2011
1,357 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayonnair View Post
I just got this from a flying buddy. I too probably shouldn't be attempting to fly this brick off of a bumpy grass field. But I've always wanted a Geebee...

This thread is invaluable, looks like only 2 flyers managed to get it to fly, and then not without significant modifications.

Time for some homework
Hi rayonnair, mine has flown now, reasonably well too considering. I published this plane in my blog as a project to completed because it had been forgotten to a point, however I might change my blog to more of a build log considering the work required. I have heaps of pics etc. I posted some of the important firewall mods on the hk aust wharehouse site under the files tab, even a little vid too off the hat cam in the vid tab. Good luck with yours if you have any questions yell out and i'll update my blog soon.
mustflynow2 is online now Find More Posts by mustflynow2